Wiki Posts
Search

Afternoon tea....without any tea

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 5:41 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Prospero
Yes, the topic certainly appears to have divided opinion.

Maybe we can find common ground of agreement. I’d say a scone with cream and jam should never under any circumstances be paired with tomato juice.
Well, at least we haven't had to delve into the realms of pronunciation - can you imagine where that might end? . Pitchforks on the platform at Hatton Cross, no doubt ... .

But, if tomato juice isn't acceptable, how about Appletise? Many years ago, at college, I had a friend who insisted a mix of Appletise and Coke really was the drink of choice. Disgusting though it may sound, in actuality it wasn't too bad - so perhaps we shouldn't actually rule any such combinations out.

In the interests of research, I shall however accede to the taste buds and analytical mastermind that is c-w-s to conduct this vital research. Well, that and I'm not wasting my Avios on such frivolity ...
Old May 14, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by SKRan
My norn Irish friends often refer their evening meal as “tea”, but I’m not sure if they always have a cup. Do they?

But I do think “afternoon tea” ought to include tea.
I'm southern Irish, though been living in London 13 years. What I can tell you is that my parents have 'dinner' at about 1pm (when I would have lunch!) and then 'tea' at around 7pm. And it always includes a cup of tea. I think my parents couldn't deal with the ideal of a meal with "tea" in the name not including a cup of tea.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by jdsworld
I'm southern Irish, though been living in London 13 years. What I can tell you is that my parents have 'dinner' at about 1pm (when I would have lunch!) and then 'tea' at around 7pm. And it always includes a cup of tea. I think my parents couldn't deal with the ideal of a meal with "tea" in the name not including a cup of tea.
So a better way of packaging a “meal deal” would be pick a drink: tea/coffee/water/juice/fizz + 1/2/3 items from: scones+jam, sandwiches, cake

t+1 £5
+2 £7
+3 £9

then just load whatever sandwich/cakes onto a cart for display?

This feels like the concept of the true afternoon tea yet quick and fun..
Old May 14, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Originally Posted by Prospero
Yes, the topic certainly appears to have divided opinion.

Maybe we can find common ground of agreement
For me it is a simple poll: Is it a rip off for BA to charge £5 for a Scone, Jam and Cream without bundling a cup of tea, which is the commonly accepted paired beverage and national drink, in the price?

The hot water is flipping FOC so no excuse in my book for BA not taking the margin hit on the combo and doing the right thing here.

PS I like the word beverage and don’t get to use it often enough so this thread is ideal !

Last edited by Robespierre; May 14, 2019 at 6:40 am
Old May 14, 2019, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Robespierre

For me it is a simple poll: Is it a rip off for BA to charge £5 for a Scone, Jam and Cream without bundling a cup of tea, which is the commonly accepted paired beverage and national drink, in the price?
The way the market place works, either people will buy it, or it will be enhanced away. A bit like all business.
Andriyko and navylad like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
And there we have another cultural difference. I will almost invariably drink wine with a meal, except for breakfast, when a Buck’s Fizz might occasionally feature!
Old May 14, 2019, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do they have 'Morning Coffee' on the BOB menu?
DeathSlam likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:19 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Evidently it's a slow news day at The Sun, who have decided to pick up this story.

Afternoon Tea

M
Old May 14, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Only in CW and F, surely? I have my morning coffee in bed.
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Already covered. Do keep up please

You are given a croissant (just £5.00). But no coffee.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Smile

Your parents are correct, that's why female staff who serve a midday meal at schools are called "dinner ladies"
Old May 14, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Evidently it's a slow news day at The Sun, who have decided to pick up this story.

Afternoon Tea

M
The child in me would have liked a page 3 kind of pic..
Old May 14, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by origin
The child in me would have liked a page 3 kind of pic..
what is telling is they have essentially lifted the story from FT but choose to get their own picture so that the could hide half of the two page spread, wracked in one opposing comment to provide a pretender or balance. #CheapJournalism .
T8191 likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:21 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by davidcamp6
Your parents are correct, that's why female staff who serve a midday meal at schools are called "dinner ladies"
Agreed. In my youth I had school dinners, unless provided with a pack lunch; and in the evening I would - and still do - eat tea at home, unless going out for dinner or having a fish supper. Simple.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold

The story is picking up on twitter while another passenger is upset to have had to pay tea with his afternoon tea.
DeathSlam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.