Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Afternoon tea....without any tea

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The best British afternoon tea I ever had was in a Welsh tea shop in Patagonia, Argentina. Seemingly endless cake, scones, sandwiches and, of course, cups of tea. It cost an arm and a leg, though, as this was when the Argentinean peso was equivalent to an American dollar. The grandmother even spoke Welsh, which was a delight.

(Just thought I'd lighten up this thread, which is turning ugly).
jib71, orbitmic, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
It would prove the point I am making and that is that most people would expect a cup of tea. Just because you don't expect a drink to be included doesn't mean that most others wouldn't.
Just to make sure - you would expect a free drink when you're buying a scone? People are free to expect anything they want of course, but I am not sure what is the vendor's fault when it adversities a scone and then does not include a drink with the scone?
Old May 13, 2019, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by navylad
so why would one bother to put the prices of the teas in the same section on the page, if they were included, there really would be no need.
Quasi-universally, airline menus include both individual items and sets, several of them afternoon sets that include a snack (muffin, etc) and a hot drink. This is listed with a price and separately of course the hot drink can be purchased on its own too.

Since launching BoB, BA has not done that, but first of all, only regular passengers like us would typically know that, and secondly, there have been plenty of people to complain about that and BA keep saying that they will review the offer so as this is a new menu which only started on 1 May it would not be absurd even of seasoned BA travellers to think that maybe BA had simply listened and launched its first set around a great British classic.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Following your logic, every time we read a description of the menu item we're performing a forensic research?
No, you just don't seem very intuitive at (or interested in) understanding my logic so I don't think there would be much point in my explaining it again.
User Name likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Pax: “Excuse me, where’s my tea?”
Crew: “S-gone”
Old May 13, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Just to make sure - you would expect a free drink when you're buying a scone? People are free to expect anything they want of course, but I am not sure what is the vendor's fault when it adversities a scone and then does not include a drink with the scone?
the clue is in the word “tea” which implies a drink...
orbitmic and User Name like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:48 am

That is precisely my point... I wouldn't buying a scone... I would be buying "Afternoon Tea"

Perhaps there is a cultural thing going on here... I suspect that if someone that did not grow up in the UK, where "Afternoon Tea" would always include a drink of tea whether it is explicitly mentioned or not, then perhaps they would not expect a drink to be included. I believe that people that have grown up with the British culture would expect a drink of tea with Afternoon Tea.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
No, you just don't seem very intuitive at (or interested in) understanding my logic so I don't think there would be much point in my explaining it again.
I agree. I have made my point and like you... if he is not interested in trying to understand my point then no point in repeating. I am not discussing any more either
Old May 13, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
That is precisely my point... I wouldn't buying a scone... I would be buying "Afternoon Tea"

Perhaps there is a cultural thing going on here... I suspect that if someone that did not grow up in the UK, where "Afternoon Tea" would always include a drink of tea whether it is explicitly mentioned or not, then perhaps they would not expect a drink to be included. I believe that people that have grown up with the British culture would expect a dink of tea with Afternoon Tea.
and this is “British” airways right?

maybe it’s an enhancement?

Old May 13, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
But how can you buy something that the vendor does not offer?

Perhaps there is a cultural thing going on here... I suspect that if someone that did not grow up in the UK, where "Afternoon Tea" would always include a drink of tea whether it is explicitly mentioned or not, then perhaps they would not expect a drink to be included. I believe that people that have grown up with the British culture would expect a drink of tea with Afternoon Tea.
There is no cultural thing. I asked you to point out the 'afternoon tea' menu item to me. I don't see it in the menu. How much is it and how is it described?
You keep saying that you'd expect a drink with afternoon tea (as would I), but perhaps you're looking at a different printed menu because I don't see afternoon tea on offer in the one I got?
Old May 13, 2019, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Our hypothetical difficulty would be that neither of us drink tea. “Afternoon Coffee” sounds wrong, to my English ear.
origin and navylad like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Quasi-universally, airline menus include both individual items and sets, several of them afternoon sets that include a snack (muffin, etc) and a hot drink. This is listed with a price and separately of course the hot drink can be purchased on its own too.

Since launching BoB, BA has not done that, but first of all, only regular passengers like us would typically know that, and secondly, there have been plenty of people to complain about that and BA keep saying that they will review the offer so as this is a new menu which only started on 1 May it would not be absurd even of seasoned BA travellers to think that maybe BA had simply listened and launched its first set around a great British classic.
so to be clear, your saying other items, which specifically state that it includes a drink are evidence, I’d suggest the actually work against such suggestion, when it includes a drink as a combi deal it is quite clearly stated.

I’ve been to a number of cafes in the New Forest for example that has a section called afternoon teas, and then lots of different options, one can simple decide which elements one wants and pay for the total price- much like a menu works.

QUOTE=T8191;31095826]Our hypothetical difficulty would be that neither of us drink tea. “Afternoon Coffee” sounds wrong, to my English ear. [/QUOTE]

I can certainly appreciate that; I’m sure you’d be pretty annoyed, as would I, if one wanted a scone and a coffee and one had to pay £7.50, as some pax wanted tea to be included in the price of a scone and then you had to pay an additional £2.50 for a coffee.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
Our hypothetical difficulty would be that neither of us drink tea. “Afternoon Coffee” sounds wrong, to my English ear.
I suspect thats why they charge extra its afternoon food as in tea with an optional expensive drink of rubbish...
Old May 13, 2019, 6:00 am

I don't see afternoon tea on offer in the one I got?
The phone screen shot is clear enough to me
orbitmic and Twickenham like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
The phone screen shot is clear enough to me
it was certainly clear to me when I looked. I can appreciate if someone didn’t spend the time actually reading a menu and not getting what they wanted they would be disappointed.

As as I said up thread, I think something that offered the combined price somewhere on the page might avoid some (but probably not all) who have an inability to read the menu making said mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.