Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Afternoon tea....without any tea

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by navylad
I can confirm on my flight from LHR to MAN this morning they were serving from the Afternoon Tea section of the menu, despite the captain very clearly telling us that it was morning in his announcement (along with emphasising that we were on stand early).
BA has always struggled with the appropriate time of day to serve afternoon tea.

My local pub serves a Full English Breakfast all day.

Hopefully we’ll all meet one day at a DO as I’m sure none of us are this argumentative in real life
T8191, wrp96 and navylad like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

Hopefully we’ll all meet one day at a DO as I’m sure none of us are this argumentative in real life
Some go to DOs, some can’t, and some are keyboard warriors

I don’t recall any disagreements at any DO I’ve attended, nor seen Tea being ordered.
IAMORGAN, tmac100, Sealink and 2 others like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Silver
BA Forum “DO” Tea normally originates from the land around Reims and traditionally served from 750ml glass bottles…

What I’m intrigued with is what an actual £5 BA scone looks like in real life (not the menu publicity photo). 317 posts and there isn’t a single in-flight picture, although I assume it’s considered poor form to walk back behind the curtain and take a pictures of someone else’s afternoon tea.
IAMORGAN, T8191, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by FlyingWeasel
BA Forum “DO” Tea normally originates from the land around Reims and traditionally served from 750ml glass bottles…

What I’m intrigued with is what an actual £5 BA scone looks like in real life (not the menu publicity photo). 317 posts and there isn’t a single in-flight picture, although I assume it’s considered poor form to walk back behind the curtain and take a pictures of someone else’s afternoon tea.
1. hahahaha ^

2. This awful photo shows a BA scone in 2013 ... the same size as the Roddas cream pot and the jam jar. I don't use flash any more!
It is possible that the currant [geddit?] offering is a bit larger.

Old May 18, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
I saved this thread to read with my weekend morning cuppa which thankfully did contain tea, despite the word tea not actually appearing in the word 'cuppa'.

I wasn't disappointed, simply fabulous entertainment.

FWIW, and IMO, the fact that BA don't serve a cup of tea or coffee in economy gratis may make some bottom line financial sense, but the loss of goodwill is immeasurable.
Sealink, Twickenham, T8191 and 3 others like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ FlyingWeasel - I’ve just had a scone (with jam & Rodda’s clotted cream) in the LGW F lounge.

It was a plain one rather than sultana. And I do feel strongly that only plain scones lend themselves to being served with jam and cream ; sultana versions are best suited to butter only.

I would take a pic but my phone has just died. If the lounge version is anything like the BoB offering, it doesn’t look to me worth anything like £5.00 (even with the jam & cream)
Sealink likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:52 am

subject2load - What type of “tea” did you have with it? Being Silver I have to request for an unbranded "tea" to be brought from the kitchen. We have scones in the lounge too, although certainly wouldn’t pay £5 for one.

T8191 – currant… oh my word.
T8191 likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
It was a cup of green tea.
Old May 18, 2019, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
The beloved Daily Maily have a scoop on the topic and have comments from both BA and William Hanson the UK's leading etiquette expert.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...-come-tea.html

MailOnline's etiquette expert William Hanson said: 'Really BA should be terming this a "cream tea" as that is all they are offering - a scone with cream and jam. "Afternoon tea" implies the full works of sandwiches, scone and a selection of small cakes. But in either instance it could seem churlish to not include a cup of tea to pair with the sweet treats.'
A British Airways spokesperson said: 'Whether it’s a traditional cup of tea, our new espresso martini or a bottle of champagne, we offer a wide range of beverages to allow customers to choose which option they pair our popular afternoon tea with.'
Old May 18, 2019, 12:27 pm

Well I'm extremely sorry to see The Daily Wail mentioned on these pages and absolutely mortified to see that I actually agree with their so-called "etiquette expert". But William Hanson is right on both counts. What the BA spokesperson should have said is "We got this wrong. In future we are going to call it cream tea and serve it with a cup of tea."
Old May 18, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by fripperies
Well I'm extremely sorry to see The Daily Wail mentioned on these pages and absolutely mortified to see that I actually agree with their so-called "etiquette expert". But William Hanson is right on both counts. What the BA spokesperson should have said is "We got this wrong. In future we are going to call it cream tea and serve it with a cup of tea."
To repeat myself: " Are you a betting person "?
tmac100 and fripperies like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by icegirl
The beloved Daily Maily have a scoop on the topic and have comments from both BA and William Hanson the UK's leading etiquette expert.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...-come-tea.html
Espresso martini and a scone? That sounds absolutely disgusting.
Old May 19, 2019, 2:22 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
It seems I need to enhance my pilfering snacking in the GF lounge to include some scones, jam, clotted cream and tea bags in addition to the beer, blue label, soft drinks, chips, sandwiches, hot food items, glasses, cutlery, plates, and other items. At this rate, I might have to start using the option to gate check a bag airside in T5 and check in my spare duffle of BA lounge goods carry-on so I may bring the entire GF lounge meal on-board.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jason8612
It seems I need to enhance my pilfering snacking in the GF lounge to include some scones, jam, clotted cream and tea bags in addition to the beer, blue label, soft drinks, chips, sandwiches, hot food items, glasses, cutlery, plates, and other items. At this rate, I might have to start using the option to gate check a bag airside in T5 and check in my spare duffle of BA lounge goods carry-on so I may bring the entire GF lounge meal on-board.
Good one. ^

I've always said the ones who have the least to complain about BOB are those who have lounge access...yet they're the very ones who continually harp on about it.
jason8612, HMPS and wrp96 like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
This awful photo [...]

Well you've got that right at least! It looks like your cream tea has been the unfortunate victim of a nuclear test...
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.