Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Old May 11, 19, 1:59 am
  #121  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 24,360
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun View Post
I have no issue with people expressing preferences, my comments were more aimed at the people who judge this person because they choose to eat a Mcdonalds
I agree with you on that. I don't think we should relate the fact that someone eats McDonald's or anything else to any form of education/refinement/acting in a civilised way. That's actually the point I was trying to make half jokingly when I said that most of the people I've seen eating fast food in plane often came across as very posh because I don't think people should assume that they are "chavs". Incidentally, I think it is also entirely unrelated to age, I've seen some fairly mature people doing it and some very young ones who wouldn't dream of it.

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun View Post
In regards the Tuna, you make a good point on some cheese's I really cannot stand the smell of them, I would't appreciate the smell but I would never then think they are out of line, having bad etiquette or think its not the done thing. If this was a tuna sandwich or a smelly cheese this thread wouldn't have existed, its the fact its a McDonalds and the assosiation that is attached to that.


I can only speak for myself but in my case, for instance, if I bring my own food (which I do on BoB flights like BA sometimes) I can assure you that I would never consider taking a tuna salad (something I quite like at home from time to time) on a plane, and would have the same reaction if 1A had brought that (though I do think that for some reason, the smell of cold food lingers and permeates less than cold ones. Or to directly illustrate your point about snobbishness, another food I absolutely adore but which smells quite strongly and which I know many people do dislike is fresh truffle. To me, toasted bread with good olive oil, thin slices of fresh truffle and a bit of fleur de sel is close to culinary heaven (and I think we'll agree that whatever social element it evokes is very different from McNuggets) but it is another food I would absolutely not consider taking onboard a train and plane and would prefer people would not (even though that specific smell wouldn't bother me personally, I'm quite certain there will always be some people in the cabin who would find it very overpowering and intrusive).

Basically, in my case I react to the question of smelly food the same way I react to the question of loud phone conversations or music or someone sat directly across you on the train who'd keep fidgeting in a way that you could not possibly not see. I'm totally cool with anything people want to eat, say, do or for that matter whatever they want to drink or smoke, whoever they want to do intimate things with and so on, but I just much prefer it not to intrude into my space and I appreciate when people show consideration for (or at least awareness that) some of their choices have a tendency to do just that and to become part of other passengers' life and senses without them having chosen that. Whether the smell comes from McNuggets or from some super posh $100 designer burger with prime wagyu, foie gras, and gold specs is entirely irrelevant to me, I would just prefer that someone else does not make that choice for me. .
HNL1K likes this.
orbitmic is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 2:03 am
  #122  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,610
It all comes down to context and personal preference - for all we know the passenger could fo rushed to the airport straight from meetings didn't have an chance to eat in the lounge etc.

Example if I'm going on Holiday I'm going to dress pretty causal in J, should that not be allow too?
cavemanzk is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 2:26 am
  #123  
Jed
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Posts: 506
Originally Posted by Howard Long View Post
At the other end of the spectrum, I take my own chilled caviar and decent cheeses with bread on flights where frankly I donít think the grubís up to much. Finnair for example seem to have what must be one of the least enticing cheese plates Iíve ever seen.

Bringing gooey cheese and caviar onboard has its own challenges, I place them in my liquids bag, which usually results in a brief swab at security IME. I then place the caviar back in my mini cool bag with some ice in the lounge.



That is brilliant. I hope you didnít eat it all though....your cholesterol would have skyrocketed.
Jed is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 2:39 am
  #124  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Plymouth, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 819
No hot food should be allowed to be brought on board IMHO. I find the smell quite obnoxious even though I love McD! It is nothing to do with being snooty... it is just about respect to the other passengers
snaxmuppet is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 3:16 am
  #125  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BRU
Programs: BA Gold, *G (TK)
Posts: 2,185
I have no problem with hot food brought on board.
Regarding the the smell... it's not as the galley cooked food has no odor, so I can't really see a big difference. I also think it's not possible to generalize the smell issue, as even perfume can be obnoxious to other people.
Lefly is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 3:42 am
  #126  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Posts: 1,667
The only thing that makes this potentially tolerable, to my mind, would be a combination of a bad lounge situation or a security cluster combined with an expected delay in the meal service (e.g. if for some reason you're looking at an expected two-hour wait for service). But even then...McDonald's? C'mon, man...
GrayAnderson is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 3:59 am
  #127  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Silver
Posts: 263
Nothing wrong with it - although a lot of snobs love to slate McDonaldís - it isnít particularly smelly and how does it affect anyone else.
CoweyB, muji and kingstontoon like this.
Vgravity is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 4:30 am
  #128  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; MM Freccia Alata Plus; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; LeClub Platinum
Posts: 1,022
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I've seen several people do it - and usually they come across as incredibly snobbish. I couldn't care less what people eat, but personally, I find it very rude to impose food that is actually very smelly to the rest of the cabin (regardless of travel class). The greasy smell of McDonald's take away food (or take away fried food generally) invariably lingers around for hours, long after people have finished their meal, infesting everyone's surroundings.

Note that it's only the smell/what is imposed onto others that I care about, not his taste. If he wanted to dine on 2 kilos of haribo, I couldn't care less because I couldn't smell it.
I love HARIBOS, have them with me on each trip...and could easily have a couple of 400gr bags on a Long haul flight :-)
orbitmic likes this.
81romeo is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 4:31 am
  #129  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: European: ZRH, Asian: SIN
Posts: 7,505
Originally Posted by vj_rama View Post
If it's OK for my President, It's OK for me!!
Putin doesn't eat at McDonalds
YuropFlyer is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 4:46 am
  #130  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL, CCR; hhonors diamond; SPG LTG ; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion;
Posts: 4,404
Slight;y OT perhaps but one of the (very minor) irritating compromises of married life is that my husband bans me from even the most ocasional use of KFC because he thinks it is considerable more unhealthy than McD's... I think also its smell in a confined space might be more noticeable than McD's.
hsmall is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 4:51 am
  #131  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 303
Originally Posted by DCAFly View Post
How is that even a question?! A StroopWaffle McFlurry of course!
I had no idea this existed! I would eat two easily.

Going to McDs next time in am in Amsterdam
IAMORGAN, orbitmic and TTmex like this.
RoxyMountain is online now  
Old May 11, 19, 4:51 am
  #132  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 24,360
Originally Posted by Lefly View Post
I have no problem with hot food brought on board.
Regarding the the smell... it's not as the galley cooked food has no odor, so I can't really see a big difference.
But there is a difference. One is what the airline is providing as part of its service and the other is someone who could choose not to impose smells on others and does anyway. I mean, you may not want to listen to PA announcements by cabin crew about welcome to our Executive club passengers and onboard shopping, but it doesn't follow that it is fine for any and everyone on the plane to bring their own microphone to thank their Mum and Dad for their Oscar and explain why since everyone is listening to them they should buy this new fabulous insurance policy in case their pet turtle has their lettuce stolen by the neighbour's slug. The airline has a legitimacy to define the flying conditions of all its passengers, individual passengers do not have that same legitimacy to define the flying condition of everyone else around them.

And even if you forgot about that fundamental difference, it wouldn't follow that adding more smells to existing smells would be fine. It would be like saying "oh well there is one person shouting on the street so I don't mind if there are 200 drunkards shouting", or one guy is listening to their music outloud so it makes no difference if everyone stops using earphones and imposes their own music to all others. It's not the same, effects do accumulate, and any one of us with a remotely sensitive nose who has flown US domestic Y dinner flights knows what I mean.

I do however, fully agree with you that tastes in smells are idiosyncratic, but that's why I (and I suspect many others) are not saying "we don't want McDonald's food smells but feel free to bring your tin of sardines and your Stinking Bishop", but rather "if everyone could choose food which does not smell strongly and does not make a lot of noise eating then all would be great" (81romeo I think your Haribo are safe! ).

By the way, while many seem surprised at the argument, that one shouldn't really have to smell other people's food, many of us will have seen this enforced for years. For instance, I remember when I was a student, there was no problem bringing food or water when we had exams but if anyone brought anything smelly (most definitely including any hot food from McDonald's, cheese, fish, and more) or anything unduly noisy (apples come to mind), or anything that could lead to leaks, dirt and other incidents, it was confiscated and discarded immediately so as not to disturb the other candidates. I personally think that this was entirely sensible and good practice
orbitmic is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 4:52 am
  #133  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 24,360
Originally Posted by RoxyMountain View Post


I had no idea this existed! I would eat two easily.

Going to McDs next time in am in Amsterdam
I didn't know either and they do look exciting!
orbitmic is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 4:53 am
  #134  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 303
I am no fan of McDonaldís but their chicken nuggets are awesome. If I was flying some place that did not have them I might grab a 12 pack for the flight.......but would eat them with bourbon not champagne
MSPeconomist likes this.
RoxyMountain is online now  
Old May 11, 19, 5:12 am
  #135  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 39,823
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post

By the way, while many seem surprised at the argument, that one shouldn't really have to smell other people's food, many of us will have seen this enforced for years. For instance, I remember when I was a student, there was no problem bringing food or water when we had exams but if anyone brought anything smelly (most definitely including any hot food from McDonald's, cheese, fish, and more) or anything unduly noisy (apples come to mind), or anything that could lead to leaks, dirt and other incidents, it was confiscated and discarded immediately so as not to disturb the other candidates. I personally think that this was entirely sensible and good practice
The passengers are customers, not exam candidates ; I suspect that the rubric for the exam was such that there was provision for refusing it

Does the CoC say that own food is not permitted?
Dave Noble is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread