Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I wonder whether people found the smell of those things intrusive.
The smell from six chicken nuggets, probably only luke warm to cold by the time the photo was taken, would be negligible, if any. A MacDonald's restaurant may have that fast-food greasy smell, but a single product taken out by itself won't replicate that.
CoweyB and Insulator-King like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Threads such as these reinforce my basic premise that regardless of how circumspect my behaviour when travelling it is inevitable that something I do will offend someone. These and similar threads also reveal a reticence among the complainers to actually do anything about the offending behaviour in the moment only to later flock here to air their grievances.

Instead of accommodating every prissy little complaint it is therefore preferable to do as you choose unless instructed otherwise by a person who is in an official role and somewhat in authority.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Threads such as these reinforce my basic premise that regardless of how circumspect my behaviour when travelling it is inevitable that something I do will offend someone. These and similar threads also reveal a reticence among the complainers to actually do anything about the offending behaviour in the moment only to later flock here to air their grievances.

Instead of accommodating every prissy little complaint it is therefore preferable to do as you choose unless instructed otherwise by a person who is in an official role and somewhat in authority.
You seem to have taken a surprisingly hostile defensive stance in these threads. It really is possible to discuss and have a view on issues such as these without actually taking them too seriously. I think that's the approach many of us try to take on FT, whether pro- or anti- McDo.
orbitmic and jgor like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
You seem to have taken a surprisingly hostile defensive stance in these threads. It really is possible to discuss and have a view on issues such as these without actually taking them too seriously. I think that's the approach many of us try to take on FT, whether pro- or anti- McDo.
It is not about being pro- or ant-MacDonalds but whether, as the OP asks, bringing a bag of chicken nuggets into F is the "done thing" as if pedestrian fast food in the rarefied environs of an airplane cabin is some sort of social faux pas.
Insulator-King and scfw0x0f like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:21 am

It is not about being pro- or ant-MacDonalds but whether, as the OP asks, bringing a bag of chicken nuggets into F is the "done thing" as if pedestrian fast food in the rarefied environs of an airplane cabin is some sort of social faux pas.
You seem to have missed my point, but never mind.
muji likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:46 am

BA to rename T5 First check-in area to "Chicken Wing"?
wrp96 and frank_poulankh like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:44 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
It’s not about if it’s a social faux pas and what should or shouldn’t be allowed or not... it’s simply a jibe about someone who did. A chance to feel and highlight your social or class superiority (to someone who is of equal or greater means to purchase a first class ticket).

Old May 12, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by amt
It’s not about if it’s a social faux pas and what should or shouldn’t be allowed or not... it’s simply a jibe about someone who did. A chance to feel and highlight your social or class superiority (to someone who is of equal or greater means to purchase a first class ticket).
Arguably the offending chicken man is of the higher socio-economic status as both people have the same baseline (flying F), but one of them is insecure about the appropriate behaviour, while the other one just enjoys his nuggets.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

Not really a nice way to treat your fellow passengers... just doing what you want until told otherwise by someone official. In fact, IMO that is a very selfish attitude. I'd like to think that most people respect their fellow passengers more than that and do what they think is right.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by LCY8737

Arguably the offending chicken man is of the higher socio-economic status as both people have the same baseline (flying F), but one of them is insecure about the appropriate behaviour, while the other one just enjoys his nuggets.
Indeed... after all, taking pictures of people to post on social media hardly puts one in a position to judge... I’d actually be pretty miffed if I was being photo’ed on a plane by another passenger, no matter what cabin I was in, or whether I was immediately identifiable. I wouldn’t expect that behaviour in economy, never mind first
muji likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: Confirmed
I think we all do something that may annoy some traveller(a) around. But when you fly F you paid for a private space that (hopefully) safeguards you from being annoyed. Isn’t that the point for the extra price?

I’d ignore whoever doing whatsoever in their seat. Period. It’s for my own benefit. Be it a box of McNuggets or a box of cockroaches.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Not really a nice way to treat your fellow passengers... just doing what you want until told otherwise by someone official. In fact, IMO that is a very selfish attitude. I'd like to think that most people respect their fellow passengers more than that and do what they think is right.
The question is also whether the most ardent complainers act upon encountering people who are not nice or selfish in person. It is one thing to issue a stern rebuke safely cloaked by the anonymity of the Internet, quite another to have the pluck when face-to-face.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems as of someone has violated the Rules of Luxury:
Look, but do not touch.
Touch, but do not use.
Use, but do not enjoy.
Enjoy, but, never, ever show it.
mbl0687 likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:38 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by LCY8737

Money screams, wealth whispers...
rickg523 likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:42 pm
Suspended

In the U.S there are always lots of people who bring their own food, partly because in Y there is virtually never free food and on a lot of domestic flights in first class, there are only snack baskets. The other day a guy was walking down the aisle with a full size pizza both which everyone commented smelled good. If somebody complained about bringing food onboard on a U.S. airline I think they would laugh unless it was that fowl smelling fruit. If they sell it in the terminal, it would be considered fair game to bring onboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.