Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 12:49 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
In the U.S there are always lots of people who bring their own food, partly because in Y there is virtually never free food and on a lot of domestic flights in first class, there are only snack baskets. The other day a guy was walking down the aisle with a full size pizza both which everyone commented smelled good. If somebody complained about bringing food onboard on a U.S. airline I think they would laugh unless it was that fowl smelling fruit. If they sell it in the terminal, it would be considered fair game to bring onboard.
There’s a great new service in a good few US airports that gives you all the food choices in the airport to order and delivers them to your gate.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
The question is also whether the most ardent complainers act upon encountering people who are not nice or selfish in person. It is one thing to issue a stern rebuke safely cloaked by the anonymity of the Internet, quite another to have the pluck when face-to-face.
Probably not in truth. People are often brave on the internet when the consequences are few. But that does not mean that the rebuke was not warranted or deserved!

I see this as all about respect... some have it in person, some have it on the internet, some have it all the time. Many, like me I suspect, sometimes do not kick up a stick in person as it then affects the many other innocent bystanders around. Does that mean they have no integrity? No it doesn't IMO. It means they have respect of the others that might be affected. The bystanders would have no choice but to be affected.

However, on the internet, there are no bystanders so people will often say something online, perhaps even have a bit of a moan, about a situation where they wouldn't necessarily say anything at the time in real life. On the internet, and especially in a forum like this one, no one is forcing anyone to read anything. If you read it then that is by your choice. So you cannot consider real life and the internet as comparable situations and so different considerations exist as to whether someone says something at the time and on the internet.

I probably wouldn't have said anything to the passenger with the McD. I wouldn't have liked it but it would have been inappropriate and not proportionate to kick up a stink at the time... but is it OK to have a moan about it here? ABSOLUTELY! and if you or anyone else doesn't want to hear our moans (or crys of support - both are valid!) then click off the thread and read something you do enjoy reading.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by amt

There’s a great new service in a good few US airports that gives you all the food choices in the airport to order and delivers them to your gate.
What's it called?
Old May 12, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Once with a group of friends we arrived at LAX very late (the minibus never turned up) for an AA TATL flight in Y and very hungry. As a result we all visited a takeaway by the gate, then boarded with hand luggage and pizza. The lady sitting next to me in the window seat said she didn't mind. Although when the meal service was quite slow to start some of my friends who were still eating became less popular as time went on.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Stoemp

On my recent flight from Santiago to LHR in First I was surprised to see that 1A came on board with a box of McDonald's chicken nuggets which he then proceeded to eat with his pre-departure LP champagne. The crew seemed a little taken aback too (some eye rolling in the galley and an amused "Shall I take that for you now sir?" as soon as the food had been consumed).

Am I being snooty in thinking this was perhaps not quite the done thing? Or is the whole point about F travel that passengers do as they please? Either way, it did not feel like a ringing endorsement of the new BA soft product so far as food was concerned!
When you are rich you are eccentric and you can do anything and people just look the other way.

Last edited by Annalisa12; May 13, 2019 at 2:05 am
Old May 13, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Nobody would have been complaining if it was In n Out.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I think taking food aboard is fine in principle, no matter what class you're sitting in, though I agree that smelly foods are at least as bad (if not worse) than loud music/conversations.

With the exception of the excellent UL cashew nuts, I'm rarely enthralled by the various salty snacks offered with the first drink rounds so will often take a pack of the following on board with me:

They go particularly well with champagne, and quite often are a better base for eating the cheese course later on. I have also been known to bring on some high cocoa % chocolate...

However I am but a rank amateur in comparision with the lovely guys I met on the PHX DO trip who come fully stocked with tonic, ice and lemon slices for a succession of G&Ts
Old May 13, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Not really a nice way to treat your fellow passengers... just doing what you want until told otherwise by someone official. In fact, IMO that is a very selfish attitude. I'd like to think that most people respect their fellow passengers more than that and do what they think is right.
I guess different people have different opinions as to what’s acceptable behaviour, such as couples selecting seats A+C. Most people are only concerned on the optimum journey experience for them or their party and don’t think/care about other passengers inadvertently or purposefully
Old May 13, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Has anyone posted this yet?

777 New F - trip report

Caviar on Chicken McNuggets in EK New F. In fact it's a running joke (or not joke) that Chicken McNuggets go great with the Dom in EK F and several posters on the EK Forum have posted about trying it... much less attitude in response over there, guess it's a more tolerant world :P

(Image for those who don't want to scroll through entire trip report to find it)

ETA: Sorry see it has been posted. I did try scroll through but from page 1 and didn't see it posted as I didn't go all the way
Old May 13, 2019, 9:07 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by skywardhunter

777 New F - trip report

Caviar on Chicken McNuggets in EK New F. In fact it's a running joke (or not joke) that Chicken McNuggets go great with the Dom in EK F and several posters on the EK Forum have posted about trying it... much less attitude in response over there, guess it's a more tolerant world :P

(Image for those who don't want to scroll through entire trip report to find it)
Come on... Read a few pages back SH 😁
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA Amex Premier
Originally Posted by Stoemp

On my recent flight from Santiago to LHR in First I was surprised to see that 1A came on board with a box of McDonald's chicken nuggets which he then proceeded to eat with his pre-departure LP champagne. The crew seemed a little taken aback too (some eye rolling in the galley and an amused "Shall I take that for you now sir?" as soon as the food had been consumed).

Am I being snooty in thinking this was perhaps not quite the done thing? Or is the whole point about F travel that passengers do as they please? Either way, it did not feel like a ringing endorsement of the new BA soft product so far as food was concerned!
Question: did the chicken mcnuggets stink out the cabin? because in my view this is the least 'smelly' option from the mcdonalds menu.

Also - wouldn't have bothered me at all. Now, fellow F passengers having a skinful and snoring their way across the Atlantic is a whole other matter.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skywardhunter

777 New F - trip report

ETA: Sorry see it has been posted. I did try scroll through but from page 1 and didn't see it posted as I didn't go all the way
Chicken McNuggets ? Yum
Caviar ? Yuk
Old May 14, 2019, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
This sort of solves it:

I dunno, for me, as long as some food aint too pungent, thereby stinking up the joint for the rest of the flight, do what you want and be cognizant of others.

I certainly don’t like a lot of the food planes sell (at over priced rates) and so I have brought my own when in economy. In business/first I will eat most of what I get but sometimes you just like what you like!
scfw0x0f likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:21 am

Such selfishness

Funny everyone thinks it's crazy but many times working in California I have grabbed a Chick-fil-A running to catch my connection home to the Netherlands

Being southern Born and raised my choice of getting Chick-fil-A had nothing to do with catering in the plane, it had simply the desire to fulfill a childhood craving

Maybe the person did get McDonald's where he was going or where he was traveling from , maybe he was diabetic or something else and needs food right way

Many are too fast at judging someone else maybe you should enjoy a McNugget from time to time and lighten up

And if smells bother you so badly have you smelled your fellow passengers many worse than McDonald's and if it bothers you then you should not be in a public place

All this is your problem not the person enjoying Champagne and McMeal

Rob
JMorgana likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:26 am

I often take my own food in F or Business, I have food allergies (main thing being I'm allergic to wheat so tend choose "gluten free" as people understand that) and don't eat meat. I can't be sure of there being anything I can eat on board, and you can't select two special diets in combination. So if I say vegetarian, I end up with pasta (not wheat free) if I say gluten free to avoid wheat ... it's meaty! I am very happy when a wheat free veggie option, or a fish option (that isn't shellfish as guess what else I'm allergic to!) is on the menu but I can't count on it, other than when I can order due to coming out of London.

I would avoid taking smelly food on board, but I usually grab something from Pret etc. in the terminal so I have a salad or something as while BA crews have tended to be brilliant at finding me something, I don't want to be a nuisance, and would rather be self-sufficient.

Nuggets probably aren't due to an allergy but there are a lot of people with anxiety issues around food, and only eating certain known things, so I don't think I'd bat an eyelid to be honest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.