Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:40 am

McDonalds? Never.

But there IS an In 'n Out Burger at Sepulveda and Lincoln, a short ride from Terminal 3 at LAX.

No better way to arrive or leave CA than with a Double Double.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 1:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I could care less what people drag on board to eat, but people who have been raised to think of others first would have probably thought of the smell . I had someone do that with a Burger the other day, The stench of the thing filled the air. He actually had the effrontery to complain when I took out what was left of a Munster which Security had not rooted out after the splendid cheese plate that BA serves these days (excuse my sarcasm). I was sitting opposite. He objected to the smell, and I told him that he was a fine one to talk. Two wrongs do not make a right, but it shut him up and no one else seemed to mind or notice, and it was quickly gone.
I’m trying to understand why the smell of food brought on the plane is more offensive than the food served on the plane. I don’t eat McD’s but beef has a strong odor whether it’s served plated or from a bag. Some airlines serve hamburger as a meal choice (AA domestic occasionally).

People have commented re: any hot food, so I’m guessing any burger would give rise to a comment.
RockyRobin and AnaTravel like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 4:29 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I could care less what people drag on board to eat, but people who have been raised to think of others first would have probably thought of the smell . I had someone do that with a Burger the other day, The stench of the thing filled the air. He actually had the effrontery to complain when I took out what was left of a Munster which Security had not rooted out after the splendid cheese plate that BA serves these days (excuse my sarcasm). I was sitting opposite. He objected to the smell, and I told him that he was a fine one to talk. Two wrongs do not make a right, but it shut him up and no one else seemed to mind or notice, and it was quickly gone.
Originally Posted by beachfan
I’m trying to understand why the smell of food brought on the plane is more offensive than the food served on the plane. I don’t eat McD’s but beef has a strong odor whether it’s served plated or from a bag. Some airlines serve hamburger as a meal choice (AA domestic occasionally).

People have commented re: any hot food, so I’m guessing any burger would give rise to a comment.
I couldn't agree more. Breakfast, yogurt. Lunch/Dinner of an oily fish like salmon. Both are very "aromatic" to say the least and served by airlines.There are a number of other examples to which some people would object to depending on their personal tastes.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
I recall flying JFK>->SLC as a kid a number of times in the early 90's and the kid's meal was a Happy Meal from McDonalds. Those were the best flights.
You could also order a HBML (Hamburger Meal), FCML (Fried Chicken meal) as well as as a ABML (American Breakfast meal) as the main meal on AA flights until around 15 years ago on international flights. I remember ordering the HBML and the burger being the hot item under foil in the main course position, salad and pickles on the side, a bag of potato chips and ketchup and mustard. Sadly long gone.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: Independent

Many people who buy something at the airport to take on board eat it while the plane is still on the ground. Whereas served meals are always eaten while at altitude. Altitude affects smell and taste. For instance, I find there are a few things I can eat when flying that I otherwise can't on the ground.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:53 am
Suspended

It seems to me that this is all about McDonalds envy and missed-opportunity remorse.

My theory is that with the increasing disappointment with in flight catering that the last thing that other passengers want to be subjected to is the reminder that they are now trapped, and cannot now retrace their steps and buy a Big Mac and a large fries but are instead subjected to the heightened torture of the lingering smell of a fellow passenger feeling smug and tucking in.

There is not a single person in the whole wide world that isn’t emotionally engaged and moved by the smell of a Big Mac and Fries. The solution is extremely simple. Allow passengers to be able to pre-order their Macs.
royng, DelTroon and PGberkshire like this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 11:38 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
McDonalds has a steak egg and cheese bagel that I absolutely love. However, during COVID they stopped serving it in most markets. The only ones I know of that still have it are Chicago and Washington D.C. Every time I fly through either in the morning I get one.

I'd absolutely bring that on a morning ORD-LHR flight.
Jean2019 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jean2019
It seems to me that this is all about McDonalds envy and missed-opportunity remorse.

My theory is that with the increasing disappointment with in flight catering that the last thing that other passengers want to be subjected to is the reminder that they are now trapped, and cannot now retrace their steps and buy a Big Mac and a large fries but are instead subjected to the heightened torture of the lingering smell of a fellow passenger feeling smug and tucking in.

There is not a single person in the whole wide world that isn’t emotionally engaged and moved by the smell of a Big Mac and Fries. The solution is extremely simple. Allow passengers to be able to pre-order their Macs.
Envy?

I sometimes eat McDonalds at my desk but I try to save it for work at home day when I’m in the office and the rest of them are not. Not everyone likes the smell. The fries smell more than the burger.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 12:59 pm

Currently sat in the makeshift lounge @,MCO having a beer waiting for flt to LGW.Having accessed wifi and message from BA saying the catering on this evenings flt will be "limited" presumably due to hurricane last few days! So my apologises to fellow passengers for my "McDonalds" later!
Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Skyflier
Currently sat in the makeshift lounge @,MCO having a beer waiting for flt to LGW.Having accessed wifi and message from BA saying the catering on this evenings flt will be "limited" presumably due to hurricane last few days! So my apologises to fellow passengers for my "McDonalds" later!
I’m guessing you had a choice of food and chose McD. Just be honest that you didn’t want the salad or the Turkey sandwich from the other places.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:37 pm

I agree. Having never eaten a McDonald's burger (I am now in my fifties) I can't imagine the smell being massively different to burgers served on the plane. Perhaps the point of consumption makes it noticeable when others wait for their food to arrive.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by AnaTravel
I agree. Having never eaten a McDonald's burger (I am now in my fifties) I can't imagine the smell being massively different to burgers served on the plane. Perhaps the point of consumption makes it noticeable when others wait for their food to arrive.
Some foods that might have a strong smell…..

Fench fries
Bscon

(both greasy)

Pastrami
Corned beef
Reuben (smell of sauerkraut)

At the end of the day, no one is going to tackle you and wrestle the food out of your hand.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zitsky
Envy?

I sometimes eat McDonalds at my desk but I try to save it for work at home day when I’m in the office and the rest of them are not. Not everyone likes the smell. The fries smell more than the burger.
You are truly a giant amongst mankind. Doing without your fries lest someone is offended is iconic. In Georgian times they’d revert to perfumed kerchief to mask the chippy smell, But your approach spares them al..

Well done.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zitsky
I’m guessing you had a choice of food and chose McD. Just be honest that you didn’t want the salad or the Turkey sandwich from the other places.
Yes. Spot on. Choosing food on the basis of what other people might not like the smell of is the right way to go.

Salt and Onion crisps? Nah … too smelly. Too noisy.

Cheese and Onion sandwich? Nah …. those onions leave a nasty after breath. .
Old Sep 30, 2022, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jean2019
You are truly a giant amongst mankind. Doing without your fries lest someone is offended is iconic. In Georgian times they’d revert to perfumed kerchief to mask the chippy smell, But your approach spares them al..

Well done.
There is a little known Bible verse, II Zitsky 5:16.

”Yea, though they may walk through the valley of McDonalds, yet they fear no French fry.”

And in verse 37,

”Blessed Art thou who considereth thine fellow neighbors when dost thou chooseth not thine pastrami sandwich.”

I do feel pretty special when I read it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.