Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by tenrohle
I was on an Easyjet from Ibiza to Gatwick a few years ago when a fella walked on with a stinking bag of Burger King. The cabin crew told him he had to eat it before he got on!
Is that because Burger King is considered too posh compared to MD’s for easyJet and Ibiza passengers?! :P

oooo handbags!
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by tenrohle
I was on an Easyjet from Ibiza to Gatwick a few years ago when a fella walked on with a stinking bag of Burger King. The cabin crew told him he had to eat it before he got on!
I would've challenged them. It's not like America where you get beaten up. What right do they have to say that?
Old May 15, 2019, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by shefgab
Unless they choose to fill a small cabin with the strong smell of fast food.

How long does it take to eat a McDonald's? 5 mins? The plane wasn't going to leave without him if he'd finished it in the terminal.
That McD food would taste a lot better with champagne.
alex67500 likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, EK Gold.
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

Is that because Burger King is considered too posh compared to MD’s for easyJet and Ibiza passengers?! :P

oooo handbags!
The BK in Ibiza airport is a long snaking queue of Towie rejects, burnt to a crisp from their 3 days in the sun absolutely hanging to hell and back as they've not been to sleep since they arrived.
There is nothing posh about it!
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by SkyTeem
Maybe it has nothing to do with smells or bringing one's own food or drink on board. Maybe it's more a case that some out there don't like the people who like McDonalds. Is it that "those types of people shouldn't be in First Class?"

(I'm parodying a quote from the TV show "The West Wing" but I just bring up the point for this board's wisened consideration.)
Perhaps those objecting are neither First or have Class !
I am a vegetarian and don't like those fast food smells, but I put up with it because I have no rights to dictate their choice. Once when the chap in front of me ( Y Domestic US) was eating something fishy I di get up and walked to the back and lingered there for a while.
Xonus likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:34 pm

Maybe the flyer was a late upgrade and expected to be in the back of the plane? Money spent already, might as well enjoy the Mickey D!
Sealink likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Just had 3 BA F 1A flights and no brought on food. Must say SEA-LHR had a really good fish dinner (even though I ordered Asian Vegetarian). Expecting the norm- I covered myself and forgot it was this flight. BA staff later advised it was loaded without any note of seat number as since no one asked it was not served. They did run out of LP as said incoming flight drank all but two bottles. LHR-NBO and return NBO-LHR flights had norm ordinary over cooked and poor meals- could have used a happy meal! Asian vegetarian meal on LHR-MUC (European biz) was the same ugly vegetarian meal served to others- not Asian although requested.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I would've challenged them. It's not like America where you get beaten up. What right do they have to say that?
They have every right. If somebody is liable to cause annoyance to other passengers (drunk, smelly, fast food etc.), the crew can deny boarding. It's then up to the passenger if they want to comply. If they don't comply, they'll be denied boarding completely.
subject2load and citytom like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
They have every right. If somebody is liable to cause annoyance to other passengers (drunk, smelly, fast food etc.), the crew can deny boarding. It's then up to the passenger if they want to comply. If they don't comply, they'll be denied boarding completely.
While I concur that we must comply....is what you say above in fine print somewhere ? I know the CC 's words will generally carry more weight so arguing on subjective matter may be counter productive.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That would be an interesting conversation with the Captain. “Yes, I’m afraid we’re going to delay your departure by having to find and offload their baggage because the passenger has a pack of McNuggets”.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by HMPS
While I concur that we must comply....is what you say above in fine print somewhere ? I know the CC 's words will generally carry more weight so arguing on subjective matter may be counter productive.
The grounds to deny a passenger boarding are clearly set out in the conditions/contract of carriage. Denying boarding only because a pasenger has fast food may breach the contract and open the airline up to compensation.

Passengers are required to follow lawful crewmember instructions. An instruction not to bring food on board, simply because it is fast food, is unlikely to be lawful. If there was some peculiar issue with the food (smell or otherwise offensive), that may come within grounds to deny boarding. But lukewarm or cold chicken nuggets are unlikely to be in that category.

I'd suggest any crew that denied boarding on these grounds would probably be answerable to the company for incuring significant costs.
Dambus likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Somewhat OT, but don't some of the LCCs who sell F&B on board prohibit passengers from consuming outside food on their aircraft? [They want to make money selling their overpriced food and drinks, including water.]
Old May 23, 2019, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Somewhat OT, but don't some of the LCCs who sell F&B on board prohibit passengers from consuming outside food on their aircraft? [They want to make money selling their overpriced food and drinks, including water.]
Scoot (low-cost Singaporean airline).
Old May 23, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Definitely not Ryanair or easyJet. I think there'd be a riot if any did. At most they could prohibit hot "smelly" food. Reminds me of Cineworld checking everyone's bags for food and drink trying to make people buy their really smelly chilli cheese nachos and noisy popcorn. Eventually people pointed out the law to them (several times on TV) where they were told they had to let people bring whatever they wanted in, as long as it wasn't smelly. Que beer and wine being brought in, bags of crisp, takeway meals from the surrounding shops. Another reason I cancelled my monthly membership and joined the Netflix generation.
Sealink likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
Scoot (low-cost Singaporean airline).
Harsh. But they do say if you have special requirements to bring your own. I've just developed a rare condition and I can only eat McDonalds......
adrianlondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.