Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by HMPS
Who knows a couple of them might hunger for it !

Nah... If it was five guys on the other hand, I might self downgrade for that...
Old May 25, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Originally Posted by zitsky
What makes you assume the FA was being sarcastic?
Agree I'm just making an assumption.Maybe because of the general public not liking people bringing food on board. Just so happens that I'm in a 40 min connection in ORD and do not have the time to consume my burger before boarding.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LCY8737

I would have a clear preference for McDonald's over a very stinky armpit, but appreciate we all have our own priorities...
Don't knock it till you've tried it....
Old May 25, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by LCY8737

Nah... If it was five guys on the other hand, I might self downgrade for that...
Agreed- Five Guys is superior to Shake Shack, not sure they have any airport locations though (and from my experience, Five Guys in the UK are better than those in the US).

A friend of mine back in Ireland recently texted me excitedly saying "I've just had five guys for the first time, it was amazing." I'm still not sure if he had a burger or an orgy...
dddc, LCY8737, Sealink and 1 others like this.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by jdsworld
Agreed- Five Guys is superior to Shake Shack, not sure they have any airport locations though (and from my experience, Five Guys in the UK are better than those in the US).

A friend of mine back in Ireland recently texted me excitedly saying "I've just had five guys for the first time, it was amazing." I'm still not sure if he had a burger or an orgy...
Five Guys only does burgers and fries not shakes right? Why are they so good?
Old May 25, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
They didn't initially, but most stores in London now offers them.

Why I find them so good I can't explain, but they're definitely consistent (in London), the Shake Shacks in London I've been to have been inconsistent with regards wait times and service, but I nearly every time I go to there I have to return the freezing cold fries they've given me.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Five Guys does do shakes but only at "participating locations."
Old May 25, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by SpeedAdvantage
Agree I'm just making an assumption.Maybe because of the general public not liking people bringing food on board. Just so happens that I'm in a 40 min connection in ORD and do not have the time to consume my burger before boarding.
Probably far more likely that the FA might have been hungry and your burger actually did smell delicious (Not sure why people assume the worst in any given situation?)
flygirl68 likes this.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; May 25, 2019 at 4:34 pm
Old May 25, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
LGA has a Five Guys in the Terminal B Food Court
Old May 26, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

Five Guys over Shake Shack? Now those are fighting words worthy of another 21 page thread!
Old May 26, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
LGA has a Five Guys in the Terminal B Food Court
Also at IAD [B-Gates], opposite side to the BA Lounge and over to the right.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I put it down to being freshly made, "your way". I can't cope with the double patties and just go for the single, but they are fresh and taste like something you might make at home rather than something off a production line.

Years ago I was in Miami and came across a Burger King that made burgers in front of you, a bit like Subway does. It was the best BK burger I'd ever had and I still talk about it. They even served beer at this place. Stupidly, at the airport there was a BK store there and I had a hankering for a bit of a burger. Bad move. I'm sure they microwaved the whole burger as the bread had started to go hard in one place and it was just awful. Every time I go into a BK store I get sorely disappointed now. I don't know if it's the franchisees in the London area, but they seem a mean bunch when it comes to customer service. Saying that, I'm likely to hit a BK store now less than once a year. Even at motorway stops I refuse to go since my last visit there when I ordered a particular burger and was given a different one and told the kitchen was closed and this was all they had left. It was a dearer burger but not what I wanted so I made them give me a refund partially out of spite, but mainly because I didn't want a burger that had been sitting under the lights for an unknown length of time. I believe they are supposed to throw them out after a certain time. A friend that used to work at McDonalds in his youth regularly would go in there and see burgers past their throw out times (the little metal number on a stick thing) and tell staff that he wanted a fresh burger not one that had expired. They've moved away from that model now, but the burgers don't tastes as good as they used to, and not in the light of companies like Five Guys. They are dearer, but if I'm going to have salt/sugar/fat fix, I'd rather blow the calories there.
Old May 26, 2019, 4:09 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
This thread has gone off topic and is no longer relevant to BA EC forum.

Old May 26, 2019, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BAEC
This thread has gone off topic and is no longer relevant to BA EC forum.

Use the Red Triangle, then, and let the Mods decide.
Old May 26, 2019, 5:26 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Gig103
Five Guys over Shake Shack? Now those are fighting words worthy of another 21 page thread!
Its like you people have never even been to an InandOut burger... for those that haven’t experienced the full 5 guys experience allow me to share a few choice lines from the restaurant reviewer of the Irish time’s ‘worst ever meal as a restaurant reviewer‘

Irish Times 5 guys review

The milkshake tastes like someone’s soft scoop ice cream left in the sun to melt to a rubbery gloopiness and then poured into a cup and rechilled. It’s cloyingly sweet and we end up ping-ponging from fries to shake and back again, needing savoury to combat sweet, neither satisfying nor fun enough to be worth the effort.

I’d love to tell you the food makes it all better. The actual burger is fine, in an “it’s not rocket science” beefy, meaty kind of way but the bap disintegrates in a slick of ketchup and the Day-Glo orange cheese has the consistency and flavour of molten Barbie doll.
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by amt; May 26, 2019 at 7:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.