Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The passengers are customers, not exam candidates ; I suspect that the rubric for the exam was such that there was provision for refusing it

Does the CoC say that own food is not permitted?
if you reread my posts not once have I asked for a ban on anything. I have said repeatedly that I’m just expressing a preference as to how people would behave, not sending the army to telll them what to do

and yes, the passengers are customers, not just the ones who want to bring their Gorgonzola dinner or giant fries but also those who have said on this thread they’d rather not smell others. Again neither I nor anyone else has far as I could see has expressed a desire for airlines to codify things, ban or anything, this is merely about how people consider others in collective space and what they consider right or wrong. I’m not trying to convince anyone, if anybody still want to bring their beautifully matured stinking bishop on a plane, shout at their computer for hours on skype or rush to take the seat that a pregnant lady with a broken leg was going to sit in it’s fine, they are entirely free to do so, but thankfully, the vast majority of human beings know the difference between what’s allowed to them and what they ultimately decide to allow themselves, and they usually make those decisions based on the feedback we all get from others throughout our life.

So exam candidates were people needing to share a space with others, and quite frankly, most of us would have followed the guidelines I mentioned even if they had not been formalised or enforced. At any rate, as I explained, I used this to show that there is nothing new or unusual about people considering that strong smell or noise coming from others is disruptive in answer to those who expressed disbelief at the fact anyone would claim to be bothered by the smell of others’ food - neither more, nor less.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 11, 2019 at 5:31 am
Old May 11, 2019, 5:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by orbitmic
[left]

if you reread my posts not once have I asked for a ban on anything. I have said repeatedly that I’m just expressing a preference as to how people would behave, not sending the army to telll them what to do
You mean other than stating " I personally think that this was entirely sensible and good practice"
Old May 11, 2019, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You mean other than stating " I personally think that this was entirely sensible and good practice"
i do think that this exam policy was (or if love to think still is) entirely sensible and good practice and I’m not sure how or why anyone would jump from that to double guessing a suggestion that what is entirely sensible and good practice should lead to bans on airplane, football stadiums or in a living room near you. There is nothing in the words that you quote that would suggest such a causality (And I can happily confirm none was intended).
Old May 11, 2019, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
This is a very enlightening thread. I'm flying BA more often between YYZ-LHR for business and was unaware of the high degree of condescension and priggishness among my fellow front cabin passengers. A hamper of hot food from Harrods wouldn't draw a second glance or sniff but the toffs are in a tizzy at the mere sight of food from MacDonalds.

Henceforth when I fly BA up front it will be my mission to engage in minor amusements for the sole purpose of offending the prigs. It would be a delight to read an FT thread about my conduct. "Dear FT, I'd settled in comfortably in my seat holding a glass of champers when I spied a positively dreadful man from the colonies who......"
Old May 11, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
SpiceJet food

Couple of years back on a packed SpiceJet flight from Mumbai to Chennai just about every passenger had either pre-ordered or brought on their own food all of which was curry orientated. Now, I love a good curry but suffice to say was glad when the door opened at Chennai!!!

ML
SFO777 likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mountlodge
Couple of years back on a packed SpiceJet flight from Mumbai to Chennai just about every passenger had either pre-ordered or brought on their own food all of which was curry orientated. Now, I love a good curry but suffice to say was glad when the door opened at Chennai!!!

ML
Must of been quite the fusion of curry aromas..
Old May 11, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Wondering if some guy in the UK is currently on a different forum asking why he can't sit and eat chicken nuggets on a plane without someone trying to discreetly take photos of him.
​​​​
Old May 11, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
But there is a difference. One is what the airline is providing as part of its service and the other is someone who could choose not to impose smells on others and does anyway. I mean, you may not want to listen to PA announcements by cabin crew about welcome to our Executive club passengers and onboard shopping, but it doesn't follow that it is fine for any and everyone on the plane to bring their own microphone to thank their Mum and Dad for their Oscar and explain why since everyone is listening to them they should buy this new fabulous insurance policy in case their pet turtle has their lettuce stolen by the neighbour's slug. The airline has a legitimacy to define the flying conditions of all its passengers, individual passengers do not have that same legitimacy to define the flying condition of everyone else around them.

And even if you forgot about that fundamental difference, it wouldn't follow that adding more smells to existing smells would be fine. It would be like saying "oh well there is one person shouting on the street so I don't mind if there are 200 drunkards shouting", or one guy is listening to their music outloud so it makes no difference if everyone stops using earphones and imposes their own music to all others. It's not the same, effects do accumulate, and any one of us with a remotely sensitive nose who has flown US domestic Y dinner flights knows what I mean.

I do however, fully agree with you that tastes in smells are idiosyncratic, but that's why I (and I suspect many others) are not saying "we don't want McDonald's food smells but feel free to bring your tin of sardines and your Stinking Bishop", but rather "if everyone could choose food which does not smell strongly and does not make a lot of noise eating then all would be great" (81romeo I think your Haribo are safe! ).

By the way, while many seem surprised at the argument, that one shouldn't really have to smell other people's food, many of us will have seen this enforced for years. For instance, I remember when I was a student, there was no problem bringing food or water when we had exams but if anyone brought anything smelly (most definitely including any hot food from McDonald's, cheese, fish, and more) or anything unduly noisy (apples come to mind), or anything that could lead to leaks, dirt and other incidents, it was confiscated and discarded immediately so as not to disturb the other candidates. I personally think that this was entirely sensible and good practice
I do not entirely agree but I understand your point
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:03 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
He’s celebrating... MCD hit an all time high yesterday, touching $200 for the first time ever and doubling in value over 40 months, including 20% gain in the last year alone.

Last year I mentioned I was planning to buy more while sitting with a group of millennials and young execs who positively balked at the idea of holding shares in a company that they scoot right past on their way to work, that none of their peers or social media personalities they follow thought was cool, declaring it dead, no one eats there, it will be gone in a few years. Who isn’t going vegan these days anyway?

So yeah I’d love to celebrate with a Big Mac in F class while the rest of the cabin nurses their champagne hangovers and watches their Lyft and Uber stock fall further.

mradey and Diver Boy like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.

and yes, the passengers are customers, not just the ones who want to bring their Gorgonzola dinner or giant fries but also those who have said on this thread they’d rather not smell others. Again neither I nor anyone else has far as I could see has expressed a desire for airlines to codify things, ban or anything, this is merely about how people consider others in collective space and what they consider right or wrong. I’m not trying to convince anyone, if anybody still want to bring their beautifully matured stinking bishop on a plane, shout at their computer for hours on skype or rush to take the seat that a pregnant lady with a broken leg was going to sit in it’s fine, they are entirely free to do so, but thankfully, the vast majority of human beings know the difference between what’s allowed to them and what they ultimately decide to allow themselves, and they usually make those decisions based on the feedback we all get from others throughout our life.

So exam candidates were people needing to share a space with others, and quite frankly, most of us would have followed the guidelines I mentioned even if they had not been formalised or enforced. At any rate, as I explained, I used this to show that there is nothing new or unusual about people considering that strong smell or noise coming from others is disruptive in answer to those who expressed disbelief at the fact anyone would claim to be bothered by the smell of others’ food - neither more, nor less.
Quite honestly, why don't we just treat said person like an adult? It's not your job, nor is it anyone else's job to tell a grown adult to remove food they've brought onto a plane with them.

Kids are subject to silly rules like "you can't bring your own food or drink with you." Adults on the other hands? Shouldn't be.

I'm 28 and honestly think I missed out when this country actually treated adults like adults... It seems like adults today are treated like children were when they were growing up... Mostly because someone is offended over everything and has to chime in, and then society has to defend the offended person. It needs to stop.
honeytoes and JMorgana like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:05 am

After lots of flying into/out of the US, plus many internal flights there, I've noticed they have more of a culture of bringing food onboard.
I used to think it was really rude, but over time it bothers me less. And given the food quality on some flights, and lack of choice for fussy eaters (me), I do understand why people do it.

I would console myself that, being in F, you're not in arms reach of the food and having to resist saying "are you going to finish those fries?".

I made the mistake, when a youngster of about 23 years old, of taking a chippy onto a rush hour train once. I was not popular, as everyone was on their way home for dinner and I had reeked out the whole carriage. Lesson learned.
But I wouldn't be upset about a McDonalds on a flight - better than the usual smell of BO and farts. Which I've apologised for, but people still don't like.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:38 am
POG

I cannot stand the hot nuts served in F. Crisps are my preferred champagne accompaniment; I always bring my own and if I’m feeling really crazy I’ll even bust out a big bag of monster munch....... you may judge but I know you want one.

mbl0687 and tynmar like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by POG
...... you may judge but I know you want one.
Please... just pass them round
Old May 11, 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK he's not violating any BA rules although perhaps there should be a no smelly food rule to go with the no smelly people standard.
Wouldn't that prevent BA from serving curry too, which is a lot smellier than a few McD nuggets?
Old May 11, 2019, 10:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.