Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Reply

Old May 10, 19, 8:20 pm
  #106  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 81,178
Originally Posted by mario View Post
In my household we regularly eat McDonald's with a bottle of Krug or Bolly. It's lovely.

As for those of you going on about the smell, get a grip. Nuggets don't smell more or less intrusively than the food served by the crew.
I'm rather fond of microwave popcorn paired with a nice Chablis.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 19, 8:27 pm
  #107  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CWL
Programs: Tesco, BA Exec Silver, PC, Hilton Gold
Posts: 230
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I'm rather fond of microwave popcorn paired with a nice Chablis.
is that actually a good mix? And do you stick to non flavoured / plain pop corn?
Shuttle_Endeavour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 19, 8:33 pm
  #108  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 81,178
Originally Posted by Shuttle_Endeavour View Post

is that actually a good mix? And do you stick to non flavoured / plain pop corn?
I dislike the flavored popcorn, including the kind with artificial butter. For me, just plain, lightly salted if possible, is best.

BTW, I know people who find the smell of lamb (or mutton) to be highly objectionable.

For me, I dislike when someone's clothes and/or hair smell from smoking, including FAs working a flight as well as seatmates or even people with whom I share a jetway. OTOH, steak cooked on a wood fire or over charcoal is wonderful, with a good full bodied cab of course, although Zinfandel works for a more casual version of the meal.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 19, 8:44 pm
  #109  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CWL
Programs: Tesco, BA Exec Silver, PC, Hilton Gold
Posts: 230
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

BTW, I know people who find the smell of lamb (or mutton) to be highly objectionable.
Iíve been led to believe this is why you rarely find lamb / mutton on menus in Japan. Having never been there, I can neither confirm nor deny...
Shuttle_Endeavour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 19, 8:52 pm
  #110  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 81,178
Originally Posted by Shuttle_Endeavour View Post

I’ve been led to believe this is why you rarely find lamb / mutton on menus in Japan. Having never been there, I can neither confirm nor deny...
I can't recall seeing sheep in Asia. I've seen (live and at least semi-wild) deer in Japan, but I've never noticed venison on the menu except in French restaurants in Tokyo.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 19, 8:56 pm
  #111  
formerly inlogan
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 76
The original post had nothing to do with smell. It was about judgment and looking down at the passenger in 1A. The only reason people are bringing up sense of smell is because they're trying to justify their own elevated sense of supposed superiority.

i look forward to the day when I see a pic of myself on here for not conforming to your norms. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.
mholland1, bawm, CoweyB and 12 others like this.
districtRich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 19, 9:17 pm
  #112  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 24,255
Originally Posted by districtRich View Post
The original post had nothing to do with smell. It was about judgment and looking down at the passenger in 1A. The only reason people are bringing up sense of smell is because they're trying to justify their own elevated sense of supposed superiority
No itís because several of us donít have any issues with people bringing their own food to eat in principle but donít like getting to smell other peopleís fried take away in a confined space.

For that matter I also think there are important cultural habits at stake. When you go to the us it almost smells of food (and notably fried food) everywhere and people eat almost anywhere any time. By contrast, there are countries where you donít smell food outside of homes and restaurants and where people donít really eat outside of those places or outside of relatively standardised meal times (in fact apart from places which cater to tourists, try to go to a restaurant outside of fairly strict meal times in France, Italy Greece, or Spain and youíll be looked at like some sort of weirdo and told to come back in x hours. Those are also countries where the vast majority of locals eat in fairly formalised ways, not at their desk or in the subway).
orbitmic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 19, 11:10 pm
  #113  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: UK (NE)
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 174
In a similar manner I once discretely polished off the remnants of a parmo in KLM J MME>AMS>YUL a few years ago.

I was heading away with work for a good few weeks and as a dedicated connoisseur of Teesside cuisine this was my final fling.

(for those unfamiliar with a parmo I recommend you give it a go if in the Teesside area).
UTFB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 19, 11:58 pm
  #114  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Posts: 3,941
Doesn't bother me one bit. As long as it's not something really stinky like durian or fish, and honestly, most fish I feel like smells worse uncooked than it does cooked.

Airlines have conditioned us to feed ourselves. Sure this is a long haul flight, so most people know they're being fed, especially F/J class passengers.

That being said, I'm the kind of person who doesn't often fly J/F class, so maybe I don't know what to expect. On top of that, when I do fly upper class products, I have no idea what kind of food to expect. Some times the domestic option isn't appealing to me. Like flying an asian carrier, if the default option is fish, I can't do it. I don't eat fish, so it's a non-starter for me. Sometimes the western option isn't much better. I had lasagna for breakfast flying OZ J at one point cuz that's the western option they had. I se trip reports of people having caviar and salads that don't look like salad to me...so if I was actually really hungry, I might wanna bring a burger, sandwich, nuggets or whatever with me...honestly multiple times when I HAVE flown J class I've thought I wish I could just get the Y option for food.
drvannostren is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 19, 12:04 am
  #115  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: YEG
Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Posts: 115
Last month, someone in the seat behind me whipped out a Subway sandwich a few minutes after takeoff. Since apparently hardly anyone here frequents, nay, ever sets foot in such plebeian establishments, I should explain that a Subway shop and the food served therein have a very distinct scent.

That smell is not entirely objectionable but did affect me somewhat, although only because of its timing. I wish they had waited until meal service. I can, however, see how someone of more refined taste and higher class, manifested clearly and perhaps solely by their boarding group number, would be rightfully and righteously horrified by such scandalous behaviour.

I mean, what is this world coming to? Right? Right?!?!
bambinomartino is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 19, 12:11 am
  #116  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MAN DXB ✈️
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 6,274
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
I wonder what wine one would choose to complement a Maccie D meal ?
LPGs as champagne goes well with fatty foods like fish and chips and chicken nuggets
MSPeconomist likes this.
m3red is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 19, 12:29 am
  #117  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Posts: 1,682
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post

Isn't that slightly passive-aggressive conclusion a tad paradoxical? I mean, I haven't seen anyone asking that Mr 1A be kicked out of the flight with his McDonald's delicacies. I haven't read any suggestion that he be whipped with barbed wire. I haven't heard any dramatic outburst of the "it's the nugget or me!" type, complete with hand on heart.

OP was surprised at someone bringing McDonald's with him in F, asked what others thought, a number of people said that they wouldn't care in the least and a number of us mentioned that we don't like the smell of McDonald's fried stuff lingering around the cabin and would prefer people would not bring that stuff near us. That is pretty much in the same way as, from what you say, you may well feel happier without your neighbour engulfing a tuna sandwich next to you or might have a sigh of relief if your seat neighbour asks for a cup of tea with her breakfast rather than a couple of coffees. That's pretty much it - preferences, things that people do and do not like smelling or seeing around them, and people exchanging ideas on how they try and deal with sharing a common space for lengthy time. I mean I love Munster, Sinking Bishop, and Roquefort. Personally, I think that they smell delicious, but quite frankly, I wouldn't dream of bringing them with me on a plane. I don't particularly love McNuggets, I think that they are mediocre reconstituted stuff which present very little interest however "most successful in the world" they might be, but I eat the stuff occasionally, and I do love good chips (again, not the McDonald's stuff which I find frankly uninteresting) but again, I just wouldn't bring either of those things with me on a plane for fear of imposing the smell of my current craving onto others. And yes, I do think that it is different for an airline to propose food and for someone to make a unilateral decision to bring smelly food which fragrance he/she will choose to impose onto others, and I'd actually say the same of strong perfumes or anything about body odours that would be avoidable (e.g. people choosing not to use deodorant, etc).

Now again, that's just what I'd prefer people to do. If I sit next to someone eating their Big Mac and fries or smelling of three days of cumulated sweating mixed with way too much perfume, I won't ask them to leave right now, I won't ask the crew to kick them out, I won't claim that my nose matters more than their personal food or hygiene habits, I'll just feel miserable, and I don't really understand where the "you should get yourself a private jet" fits in to be honest or what exactly I'm supposed to do? Feel guilty for not liking those smells? Pretend to the op that he's unreasonable because McDonald's economic success makes it uncriticisable or that the fact that many people might find the smell of McNuggets absolutely delicious (and what not) just like I find the smell of a good aged Roquefort wonderful means that everyone must agree with us on the question of olfactive deliciousness?

To me, the thread has been pretty well behaved, people just talk about what they like, what gets them excited, and what makes them feel not so good, and those of diverging opinions remain entirely free to either take any of it onboard (sometimes we just don't realise that one thing we love may feel uncomfortable to a number of others and it is nice to learn it) or ignore it and stick to their habits and preferences, whichever they see fit.
I have no issue with people expressing preferences, my comments were more aimed at the people who judge this person because they choose to eat a Mcdonalds, there was no suggestion by the Op that this person wiped his fingers on the seat or surrounding area but it was suggested that this is likely to be done by someone eating a McDonolds, my point was simply why does the fact they like a specific food mean they are judged to then behave in an uncivalised way! I wonder if the person had brought on caviar to enjoy with there LPGS would anyone have suggested any issues with the person eating something that wasnt served by the crew or maybe they would get some of it over the seat or spill some and tread it into the carpet?

In regards the Tuna, you make a good point on some cheese's I really cannot stand the smell of them, I would't appreciate the smell but I would never then think they are out of line, having bad etiquette or think its not the done thing. If this was a tuna sandwich or a smelly cheese this thread wouldn't have existed, its the fact its a McDonalds and the assosiation that is attached to that.
orbitmic likes this.
UKTraveller4Fun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 19, 12:31 am
  #118  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 4,292
Couldn't give a flying whatsit.

There used to be a McDonald's in T7 at JFK. I’m sure it used to happen more frequently in that route.

And as there is now a KFC at T3 in MAN I could be tempted to order one to see the reaction on board. Do you think CC would plate it io for me so I can enjoy it on the short hop yo LHR? Although I'd prefer to eat it whilst got/warm rather than wait until it was cold.
madfish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 19, 1:00 am
  #119  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Tokyo
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I can't recall seeing sheep in Asia. I've seen (live and at least semi-wild) deer in Japan, but I've never noticed venison on the menu except in French restaurants in Tokyo.

I used to eat mutton curry a lot when living in Singapore.

In Hokkaido, a famous dish is grilled mutton: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jingisukan
They also have this in Tokyo. In fact there is one near my house that I must try soon.
Boten is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 19, 1:55 am
  #120  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: DUB/ORD/SIN
Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Silver, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Posts: 2,669
Originally Posted by madfish View Post
Although I'd prefer to eat it whilst GOT/warm rather than wait until it was cold.
A bucket of Dragon Wings perhaps?

Dambus is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread