Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What do you do with your (unused) amenity kits .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do with your (unused) amenity kits .

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by LCY8737
I hate to break it to you, but in all likelihood those amenity kits you leave in the hotel will just end up in a land fill.
Exactly why I bring them back for my staff, who love them!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond,
I have a few kits from American and BA. The older American one's make great containers for camera batteries and charges. The BA Liberty ones are a little too small for much more than some prescription drugs. The newer Cole Hahn bags from AA were kind of disappointing when I got my first one, but since then I find they're good for packing my race nutrition bars and powders. I travel to triathlons around the county and a few in Europe.

Not too many PJs at this point. However I do like wearing them around the house.

Thanks for ideas of what do with them. My husband tends to take them and leave them unopened.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
- unopened, to friends & non-travelling family members (small girls seem to like them a lot)
- left on board or used as shoe bag, in case of the BA former CW version
- used to carry cables / chargers etc
- ‘quality’ ones often stuffed in cupboard at home for future use (??) - although many went in a car boot sale clearout a while back

EDIT : Must say I’m glad to have kept hold of a few (FC examples) which now have an almost collector’s item feel about them, eg Pan Am, British Caledonian
Just out of curiosity, the people that leave them on board, where do you leave them? I mean, if the opened ones are being thrown away, i would happily pick one up on the way out with the used items. haha i literally look as i am leaving a long haul every time as, as you know, we have to pass CW on our way in and out.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:11 am

Also, if anyone has any liberty ones they dont want, i would happily take them off your hands. I dont have any of those
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
I can see the benefit of giving the kits to hospitals, but if hotel staff depend on a single use tooth brush you probably should leave a lot more than an amenity kit. Or possibly stay at hotels that treat (and pay) their staff fairly.
I assume it's the bag and the moisturisers that are more useful than a single-use not very good toothbrush. However, they're not really single-use; they can easily last a weekend away somewhere. They're also useful for cleaning! I've used a couple of mine for getting gunk out of the rear cassette on my bike. However, I pretty much always use my toothbrushes on the flight, although I only tend to fly long-haul J once a year otherwise I'd probably pack a "proper" brush. One with a decent length handle!

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Also, if anyone has any liberty ones they dont want, i would happily take them off your hands. I dont have any of those
You're starting to come across a tad desperate
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Buy mine and you’ll be donating money to a worthy cause - (Cancer Research)
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
My daughter loved the Bogner ones that LH used to give out in F. The little handbag found all sorts of uses and is still going.

Most of of the old CW ones we had have been used as bags for PE kit and swimming kit by the kids
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I'd just like to say thank you to the very kind FTers that offered me Liberty bags, went to bed and woke up with 2 pms offering me them, lovely gesture, and lovely people, part of what makes FT so great. (and im not just saying that because you've got me out of hot water!)
mike&co likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:14 am

I pile them up in a cupboard with the intention of using the contents at some point, and every 12 months or so realise i never will and chuck them all away.
aceman likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by 1010101
..... ....and every 12 months or so realise i never will and chuck them all away.
I know how easily they can pile up and be forgotten about. But there surely has to be a better option than simply throwing them away, ...... ?
mike&co, Lefly and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I just don't accept them in the first place. This then allows the crew to give one to someone in WT or WTP who may need it (e.g. after a spillage) or to someone who perhaps is flying CW for the first time and wants to give a second amenity kit to someone else.
I've never been given one in WTP that was rejected by the guys in CW or F haha
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
I don't bother taking them now as they are just clutter around the house. I use eye-shade, ear plugs and toothbrush and leave the rest and bag in the drawer.

A woman has a stall on a small soi I walk down to my local BTS station in Bangkok and she sells a small selection of amenity kits. Had BA ones there the other day but mostly Finnair for some reason. I saw she had some Etihad ones still in a clear wrapper so I assume all the ones she sells are new!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: too many
By the way, if anyone has any AF P kits, or EK F they want to get rid of, I'm looking for extra packing modules for the suitcase :-)
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; B6 Mosaic
- Toiletries inside that I would use, I hang on to (and use up)--which explains why I've not bought chapstick in ~10 years.
- Toiletries I have no interest in (eye cream, etc) go to the girlfriend. Any unopened ones she and I don't want get collected and given to the local homeless shelter. (Although, I've been told by several "woke" people that this is racist... *sigh* No good deed goes uncriticized.)
- Earplugs I take with me to concerts. Some of my friends reliably complain that the music is too loud, but also forget to bring hearing protection.
- Eyemasks I give away to friends/family
- Socks and Slippers I use at home--Love the Marimekko slippers from Finnair, but they wear out quickly
- Pajamas I usually feel before accepting, some (BA F, pmAA F) are wonderful and I use until they fall apart. But ones like VS are awful and heavy and scratchy so I just politely say no thanks.
- The bag itself, those are amazing. I do modular packing so I can just grab-and-go. The majority of them are used for that or home organization (eg I have one that has my work computer travel adapter, video dongles, etc... another has my camera and accessories, another has spare charging cables). Those heritage wool pouches that AA did on TransCon J are the perfect size to hold/protect a Kindle or Kobo and my 15 year old pmAA F kit makes a great iPad case.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
The First class ones on BA I use for adapters chargers and charger cables.
All spare GoPro fixtures etc.

The CW ones are recycled to my church where they are used as money bags for whoever has to take the collection to the bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.