Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What do you do with your (unused) amenity kits .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do with your (unused) amenity kits .

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
You mean those cloth drawstring bags? I remember they were much maligned at the time but indeed turned out to be rather useful.
Yes
They didn't have the "nice look" of other airline kits, but they were (are) useful indeed
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:24 pm

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I was made aware that our local care home were asking for moisturisers and toiletries for their residents. I asked if the number of airline amenity kits (mainly BA/QR) I have stashed away would be of any use.

Conforming to the strict access to the premises due to the Covid-19 situation, I dropped them off and the manager of the home thanked me and they were delighted with them.

It’s another option for those wishing to donate their unwanted kits.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:20 pm

And eye masks can be lowered to cover the nose and mouth. I laughed at the thought, googled it, and found I wasn't the first to think of it.

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...e-amenity-kit/
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by passy777
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I was made aware that our local care home were asking for moisturisers and toiletries for their residents. I asked if the number of airline amenity kits (mainly BA/QR) I have stashed away would be of any use.

Conforming to the strict access to the premises due to the Covid-19 situation, I dropped them off and the manager of the home thanked me and they were delighted with them.

It’s another option for those wishing to donate their unwanted kits.
A local member of NHS staff in my area is co-ordinating supplies such as toothbrushes/toothpaste, small tissue packets, moisturisers like body lotion, soaps etc to make up personal toiletries bags for Covid-19 patients, NHS staff and any other bits that aren't suitable from amenity kits such as socks are being distributed to hostels. I made up a couple of bagfuls and to comply with social distancing rules I left them hanging on her drive gates yesterday during my daily walk allowance.

Sadly the old fashioned drawstring bags aren't quite big enough to be used as scrub bags but another group are using old duvet covers/sheets/pillowcases to make some - 300 made since Friday and delivered.

So if you think you may have something like this you can donate to a group have a look on Facebook for your local area and I am sure you will find somewhere who would accept your donations.
Jimmie76 and passy777 like this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 4:01 pm

Watch the sell by dates on the small samples in the kits. They are not free from microorganisms and may cause more problems than intended to patients.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
+1 for the donations.

My rule of thumb is if i don't need it i actively decline at boarding it so it is not considered used.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
1. BA Liberty bag = Passport
2. KL green bag = wallet
3. BA soft bag = Mobile phones
4. BA soft bag 2 = Mobile phone accessories. Chargers. Cables.

I need more. Can never have enough!
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Watch the sell by dates on the small samples in the kits. They are not free from microorganisms and may cause more problems than intended to patients.
I have often wondered about this. I have several kits from trips spanning decades as well as hotel toiletries that live in my bathroom like trophies of places I've been. There are no use by/best before end on any of the kits/bottles. Some tube type items (toothpaste, moisturiser) have a foil seal on them so does that make them any less prone to issues? Some of the really old ones (Marriott Sydney hotels circa 2000) did start to separate after time!! Shaking it restored it but obviously I wasn't going to try it!

I have a couple of kits from trips last year. I'm guessing they should be ok to donate.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
I have a box of about 40 of these. Some opened, some not. Most are BA F and J but some are QR J. I've often wondered what to do with them.

I also have have three nine-litre "really useful boxes" full of soaps ans shampoo from London hotels after two years' worth of 2/3 nights per week, but that's another story....I use them just in the hope of one day being able to close the tub lids. If there's a suitable charity able to take them, I'd be interested,

H2H
Old Apr 24, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
And eye masks can be lowered to cover the nose and mouth. I laughed at the thought, googled it, and found I wasn't the first to think of it.

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...e-amenity-kit/
here in Poland we have to cover our nose and mouth when in public. Guess what i am using
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
They've been a saviour in a City where face masks are hard to come by!
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Originally Posted by dddc
I have often wondered about this. I have several kits from trips spanning decades as well as hotel toiletries that live in my bathroom like trophies of places I've been. There are no use by/best before end on any of the kits/bottles. Some tube type items (toothpaste, moisturiser) have a foil seal on them so does that make them any less prone to issues? Some of the really old ones (Marriott Sydney hotels circa 2000) did start to separate after time!! Shaking it restored it but obviously I wasn't going to try it!

I have a couple of kits from trips last year. I'm guessing they should be ok to donate.
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
I have a box of about 40 of these. Some opened, some not. Most are BA F and J but some are QR J. I've often wondered what to do with them.

I also have have three nine-litre "really useful boxes" full of soaps ans shampoo from London hotels after two years' worth of 2/3 nights per week, but that's another story....I use them just in the hope of one day being able to close the tub lids. If there's a suitable charity able to take them, I'd be interested,

H2H
Depending on which market the products have been sourced from, they may have guidance/rules on them to show how long a product should be used.

For products in the EU market, you will see either a best before date if the stability of the product is less than 30 months, or you will see a period after opening (POA) symbol which looks like an open cosmetics jar with text inside - such as 12M, 24M etc denoting the number of months it is recommended to use the product after you first open it/break the seal. You can read the relevant legislation here: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...LEX:32009R1223. Note, that this only applies to multi-use products - products which are single use (essentially which airline amenity kit items could be designated as single use) may or may not carry the POA labeling.

For US products, there are not so strict labeling requirements in this area, unless the product is determined as an over the counter (OTC) drugs product, but the term "drug" is not limited to medication only - can also apply to antiperspirants, anti-dandruff shampoos, toothpastes or sunscreens etc. Otherwise, some manufacturers may put a best before date on the product.

There are a myriad of other labeling requirements for other countries.

That being said, I personally would never use a leave-on type of product after about 12-18 months that I received it - particularly skin creams, lotions, moisturisers etc - no matter what the labeling states, as it could be harmful to your skin. I would use a rinse-off type of product (bodywash, shampoo, conditioner etc) probably up to 24 months after receiving it - since it would not remain on your skin after use, but the efficacy of the product can reduce somewhat.

Please do bear this in mind when giving to charities - you could be doing what you think is the right thing, but actually it can be dangerous for the end user.
dddc, Dambus and volar like this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Eyemask/Facemask

For me ... BA
For her ... QR

I have also started trying to gather in all the various amenity kits into one box ... they's scattered everywhere around the house!
Old Apr 25, 2020, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
I have also started trying to gather in all the various amenity kits into one box ... they's scattered everywhere around the house!
But maybe this is in fact the wrong time for you to start gathering them up ...... ??

Leave them ”scattered everywhere around the house” - and that way you will constantly feel like you’re off travelling again ......... even though you’re not......
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
My amenity kits have ended up in the closet.. until now.

I am using the large-ish eye shades as a nose and mouth mask. I use hairpins to hold the strap in place and it works just great. Another mask can be made from socks. I have a pair from one kit that are tube-socks, with no defined heel. Just put hairbands on each end, push in a few inches, then fold over and instant face mask!

Our toothbrushes were looking kind of ratty and I had no spares on hand, so now we are using amenity kit toothbrushes. No need for a run to the store.
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.