Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What do you do with your (unused) amenity kits .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do with your (unused) amenity kits .

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Our toothbrushes were looking kind of ratty and I had no spares on hand, so now we are using amenity kit toothbrushes. No need for a run to the store.
Does a toothbrush prevent virus infection? How many do you need for effective protection? How do you attach them?
I’m more confused than usual right now.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Depending on which market the products have been sourced from, they may have guidance/rules on them to show how long a product should be used.

For products in the EU market, you will see either a best before date if the stability of the product is less than 30 months, or you will see a period after opening (POA) symbol which looks like an open cosmetics jar with text inside - such as 12M, 24M etc denoting the number of months it is recommended to use the product after you first open it/break the seal. You can read the relevant legislation here: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...LEX:32009R1223. Note, that this only applies to multi-use products - products which are single use (essentially which airline amenity kit items could be designated as single use) may or may not carry the POA labeling.

For US products, there are not so strict labeling requirements in this area, unless the product is determined as an over the counter (OTC) drugs product, but the term "drug" is not limited to medication only - can also apply to antiperspirants, anti-dandruff shampoos, toothpastes or sunscreens etc. Otherwise, some manufacturers may put a best before date on the product.

There are a myriad of other labeling requirements for other countries.

That being said, I personally would never use a leave-on type of product after about 12-18 months that I received it - particularly skin creams, lotions, moisturisers etc - no matter what the labeling states, as it could be harmful to your skin. I would use a rinse-off type of product (bodywash, shampoo, conditioner etc) probably up to 24 months after receiving it - since it would not remain on your skin after use, but the efficacy of the product can reduce somewhat.

Please do bear this in mind when giving to charities - you could be doing what you think is the right thing, but actually it can be dangerous for the end user.
Thanks Rossmacd. I had similar thoughts about how long I would keep some of those items. Now I'm going to treat them as momentos of the journey. I had seen the 3M 12M open bottle symbol before and understood it - the issue is remembering when I opened them! I've taken to marking them with a Sharpie pen to note the date. Works great for food jars in the fridge! When it comes to eye-care products though I am particularly careful not to exceed the opening date of those products unless I keep the item in the fridge.

I hope as the UK starts the Brexit Experiment that they don't abandon these consumer EU guidelines as part of some trade deal with a third world country.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Our toothbrushes were looking kind of ratty and I had no spares on hand, so now we are using amenity kit toothbrushes. No need for a run to the store.
I took delievery of a used 100 year old Sasieni smoking pipe yesterday. Given its age it was in great nick however the rim need a clean so I asked the missus if she had any old toothbrushes kicking about. She soon appeared with a bag of toothbrushes from amenity kits as well as hotel rooms that had been collected over the years....must have been well over 50 of them. I chose a firm but soft one to do the clean up job. It didn't have a logo so I've no idea where we got it from. It was a dark blue colour. Done a great job.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 4:41 pm

A very kind poster a couple of years ago sent me a few amenity kits because i love them. We needed a toothbrush the other day and i found one i had put away from said kits. I am so eternally grateful.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 8:54 pm

Toothbrushes/toothpaste/socks/eye masks and ear plugs and pens get donated to an english center I volunteer to teach in Laos whenever I go up there. The students are very appreciative of this + usually i throw in extra stationery, a few books and collect used clothing in good condition to bring over.
BlueThroughCrimp and golfmad like this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:41 am

We tend to use the empty amenity bags for storage. One made an excellent storage bag for our recently purchased hair trimmer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.