FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Ask the staffer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1949283-ask-staffer.html)

alex67500 Jun 26, 2019 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 31239343)
What does it feel like from a customers prospective?

Hey, this is 'Ask the staffer', not 'Customer feedback'! ;)

In all honesty, for short European hops, the main thing is punctuality. If it's not boiling hot or freezing cold (the bridges aren't always well insulated/air-con'd) then waiting 5 minutes in the jet bridge isn't too bad. Although I do remember waiting a looooong time when I last flew out of AMS. The ground staff really wanted to get rid of us ASAP. They sent us down the jet bridge as soon as the last passenger was off so I think we waited about 20 minutes if not a bit more. If it helps explain, the inbound flight was about 30mns late but it didn't appear until boarding time, so the lounge staff sent us to the gate way too early.

RB211 Jun 26, 2019 3:35 pm

To do this effectively, PAX should only be sent down the jet bridge if the gate agents have had confirmation that boarding can begin within 5 minutes (for a long jet bridge) or 2 minutes (for a short one.) Anything else is poor customer service.

rb211.

PrivatePilotDR40 Jun 26, 2019 10:29 pm

I too agree as a passenger this is not ideal or comfortable as suggested by others if it is cold or really hot. Although I have recently flown QR and they did this at T4 and even scanned boarding passes within the jet bridge. Fact we was then delayed over an hour for paper work to finish is comical. But from a passenger I do not like this method, I like to leave the lounge to board to my seat not to then wait in a jet bridge where people either become DYKNIA or families become frustrated etc. Can’t be easy on the crew either with the pressure of many passengers staring at you at the door to let us in.

BOH Jun 27, 2019 1:05 am

Seems a strange passenger experience to inflict on customers. BA still tries to position itself as not an LCC (particularly for their premium pax) but this is just further evidence it is racing to the bottom. I thought only Easyjet and Ryanair did this sort of thing.

TLMTOED Jun 27, 2019 1:45 am

this is closely related to my #1 BA bugbear* which is going from ‘gate open’, through ‘boarding’ to ‘gate closing’ almost instantly. meaning you’re sat in the lounge studying the monitors thinking, “why aren’t they boarding yet” one minute, to sprinting through the terminal the next minute, only to arrive at the gate and finding a couple of hundred people still queuing to board.

i hate, hate, hate it!!

when you ask the ground crew crew why they did it, they say, “it helps gets the passengers to the gate on time”. but in my opinion, it’s just:

a) a race to the bottom. as passengers become conditioned to not trust the status on the boards

b) hugely disrespectful. in effect saying, “we think you’re too dumb to interpret the boards”

Honestly, it drives me absolutely potty!

*ok, joint #1. alongside the almost universally poor aircraft cleaning. i had toenail clippings in my CW drawer the other day! 🤢

W213Sal Jun 27, 2019 4:11 am

Originally Posted by TLMTOED (Post 31244337)
this is closely related to my #1 BA bugbear* which is going from ‘gate open’, through ‘boarding’ to ‘gate closing’ almost instantly.

Maybe more experienced flyers know this one better than I, what's the optimum time to arrive at the gate prior to takeoff, if one is in group 1/2?

BOH Jun 27, 2019 4:18 am

Originally Posted by W213Sal (Post 31244588)
Maybe more experienced flyers know this one better than I, what's the optimum time to arrive at the gate prior to takeoff, if one is in group 1/2?

Prior to "take-off" or prior to scheduled departure time? :D If you get to the gate 25 minutes before take-off you no doubt will miss the flight, 25 minutes prior to scheduled departure time and things will be fine :)

W213Sal Jun 27, 2019 4:22 am

Originally Posted by BOH (Post 31244602)
Prior to "take-off" or prior to scheduled departure time? :D If you get to the gate 25 minutes before take-off you no doubt will miss the flight, 25 minutes prior to scheduled departure time and things will be fine :)

oops thanks! good to know! I forgot the gate closes at T-21?

RB211 Jun 27, 2019 9:28 am

Originally Posted by TLMTOED (Post 31244337)
i had toenail clippings in my CW drawer the other day! 🤢

Where else am I supposed to put my toenail clippings? :D Just kidding. I leave them in the seat!

rb211.

VSLover Jun 27, 2019 9:49 am

oh gosh, i wondered about the hold on jetbridge for a while and terrible this is a BA practice. yesterday in MAD i could see a massive queue on the jetbridge so waited until last possible moment to board but they forced me to board which required about ten minutes on a non-airconditioned glass jetbridge in 35c heat. this is not a pleasant experience.

HMPS Jun 27, 2019 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by VSLover (Post 31245563)
oh gosh, i wondered about the hold on jetbridge for a while and terrible this is a BA practice. yesterday in MAD i could see a massive queue on the jetbridge so waited until last possible moment to board but they forced me to board which required about ten minutes on a non-airconditioned glass jetbridge in 35c heat. this is not a pleasant experience.

I have seen pax arriving to the gate T -30 to 45 minutes. They let the wheelchair go. as they can negotiate the short jet bridge distance and board. What happens to them at such times ? What if they cannot wait X minutes standing up ?

alhenderson Jun 28, 2019 5:26 am

I was reading on another forum earlier about the LHR-ZTH fligt last night which diverted to Zagreb with a medical emergency. The passenger sadly died. The passengers were accommodated overnight in Zagreb and the plane that they were on flew back to LHR that evening, with a new one taking its place this morning. I was wondering why the original plane didn't continue the journey? Are there special procedures in place for when someone dies on a plane, or were there other operational reasons at play?

Just curious...

Al.

Waterhorse Jun 28, 2019 5:39 am

I

Originally Posted by alhenderson (Post 31248380)
I was reading on another forum earlier about the LHR-ZTH fligt last night which diverted to Zagreb with a medical emergency. The passenger sadly died. The passengers were accommodated overnight in Zagreb and the plane that they were on flew back to LHR that evening, with a new one taking its place this morning. I was wondering why the original plane didn't continue the journey? Are there special procedures in place for when someone dies on a plane, or were there other operational reasons at play?

Just curious...

Al.

Crew are humans, performing CPR on someone for 30 mins is exhausting and mentally shocking. I suspect they were in no fit state to just carry on. Also they may have used mandatory safety equipment that needed replacement before the aircraft could fly again.

alhenderson Jun 28, 2019 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse (Post 31248401)

Crew are humans, performing CPR on someone for 30 mins is exhausting and mentally shocking. I suspect they were in no fit state to just carry on. Also they have used mandatory safety equipment that needed replacement before the aircraft could fly again.

Which is a fair point. I was more interested in why the swap of planes? Could the original one not have overnighted in Zagreb with the crew and passengers?

Al.

Can I help you Jun 28, 2019 6:00 am

The aircraft was returned to base for a number of reasons as Waterhorse touched on, all mandatory medical equipment may have not been available such as the Defib and passenger oxygen also getting the crew home would have been a priority.