FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Ask the staffer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1949283-ask-staffer.html)

Waterhorse Feb 10, 2019 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi (Post 30746635)
One for pilots: On aircraft with multiple fuel tanks, will the computers automatically switch to a full tank when the current one being drawn from is empty, or does the changeover have to be done manually?

Its mainly automatic these days - either computer controlled or by first use tank pumps having a higher output pressure than later use tanks. However, with the normal amount of backups and redundancy the pilots can override or manually control things. In general the designers try to design out manual input errors for everyday operation.

rossmacd Feb 18, 2019 12:22 am

Are some/all of the BA LHR (premium) ground team being asked to re-apply for their jobs?

Just wondering after a very, very odd and unwanted conversation with a CCR lounge agent - she was droning on about change in BA, and the fact that her and her colleagues would have to re-apply for their roles. I was handed a small card with a link to fill out some questionnaire about service, I guess as evidence building to attempt to fight any HR policy changes.

corporate-wage-slave Feb 18, 2019 3:17 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 30791522)
Are some/all of the BA LHR (premium) ground team being asked to re-apply for their jobs?

Long serving ground agents - a very high percentage have ended up in the Premium Team - are being asked to sign new contracts, or take Voluntary Severance. The new terms I think give the same money [?] but there is an increase in working hours which many aren't happy with. So unfortunately some very familiar faces will be leaving in September.

Most agents are on this new contract already.

Can I help you Feb 18, 2019 3:23 am

BA really know how to reward loyalty!

mikeyfly Feb 18, 2019 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 30791856)
BA really know how to reward loyalty!

Aren't you at LHR waiving your Union Flag today?!

rossmacd Feb 18, 2019 3:46 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30791846)
Long serving ground agents - a very high percentage have ended up in the Premium Team - are being asked to sign new contracts, or take Voluntary Severance. The new terms I think give the same money [?] but there is an increase in working hours which many aren't happy with. So unfortunately some very familiar faces will be leaving in September.

Most agents are on this new contract already.

Thanks C-W-S for the additional detail. My suspicions proved correct, and thankfully my feedback provided in the survey was negative, since as a passenger I have no interest in grievances between employee and employer.

Can I help you Feb 18, 2019 4:44 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 30791871)
Aren't you at LHR waiving your Union Flag today?!

Absolutely not!

icegirl Feb 20, 2019 3:45 am

To work in First do you have to work your way up through the cabins i.e. WT, WT+ and CW with training completed at each stage along the way, or do you do the whole lot in one go and put where the CSM/CSD tells you on each flight?

Can I help you Feb 20, 2019 3:48 am

Each fleet is different, on WW the crew would have flown at least 10 years on MF there used to be trained from day one but I think they have to do complete a short period in in each cabin before moving forward.

HarryHolden68 Feb 20, 2019 4:28 am

We all experience wonderful crew in the premium cabins on the vast majority of flights. However, there are occasions when the service is below that expected, either through poor performance of the crew or unrealistic expectations from the passenger.

My question is what would a CSM / CSD do if an individual passenger requested a visit to complain about poor service or behaviour and is there a way this is logged so habitual offenders can be retrained or otherwise? Apart from experience, is it obvious when a passenger is being unrealistic? In other words, everyone has a bad day and this can be forgiven, but is there a system by which the ones who routinely cannot be bothered are dealt with more formally, and perhaps restricted to the back of the aircraft?

Can I help you Feb 20, 2019 5:44 am

It really depends on the seriousness, if we feel it’s necessary we could suspend them immediately prior to investigation. We would certainly be having a discussion with them and completing a Instant Feedback Form which will be seen by their manager and if other similar complaints have been made they could be put in a disciplinary process.

BingBongBoy Feb 20, 2019 5:55 am

Originally Posted by TTmex (Post 30709708)
What's the most embarrassing moment you've had on board?

I used to have a problem with my knee, following an old injury from senior school rugby...

I was working in CW to SFO and I crouched down to get a tray from the bottom of the trolly and my knee locked. I ended up laying on my back in the aisle in CW, with my shoe off, trying to get my knee to relax by wiggling my foot and relaxing my leg muscles to unlock my knee... It had happened in the past, but never at work. I was absolutely mortified... Got super hot and sweaty as I was so embarrassed at what was going on and was in pain...

Thankfully after about 90 seconds my knee fixed its self and I went and "put myself back together" in the bathroom and carried on without incident. Had a good giggle about it later with the passengers who were around me at the time after profusely apologising for delaying their starters.

Thankfully never to happen again after a small keyhole operation.

Other little things have happened, like mistaking a jewish ladies wig stand placed on an empty seat as a small child... The usual thing of calling a lady Sir etc. and the usual of spilling things on someone, namely a full glass of port on a Prem in CW.

icegirl Feb 20, 2019 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 30800767)
It really depends on the seriousness, if we feel it’s necessary we could suspend them immediately prior to investigation. We would certainly be having a discussion with them and completing a Instant Feedback Form which will be seen by their manager and if other similar complaints have been made they could be put in a disciplinary process.

BA.com has a section for passengers to praise staff for good service. Where can you do the opposite?

KARFA Feb 20, 2019 5:59 am

Originally Posted by icegirl (Post 30800794)
BA.com has a section for passengers to praise staff for good service. Where can you do the opposite?

here https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...nts-and-claims

Can I help you Feb 20, 2019 6:00 am

The same place.