Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
This tale from another thread definitely belongs in here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31295785-post1430.html
NoY, T8191, u01sss3 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Originally Posted by Greenpen
The answer is clear, you failed to make the cut. Real F passengers carry a MacDonalds meal deal and a ghettoblaster.
"MacDonalds"

Sir I believe the spelling is "McDonalds" - Gosh the irony
nilsfr69 likes this.

Last edited by Newbtravelle; Jul 13, 2019 at 5:27 am
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Charlie120
So keep in mind I'm baby-faced and in my mid-twenties
I'm 30, but similarly am baby faced and look more like 20 (darn these chubby cheeks!), and this happens to me nearly every time I fly in J/F. Doesn't matter which airline, AF, KLM, BR, BA, have all tried to point me towards check in machines or economy when I approach the check in counter. Most recently I flew SEA-LHR in paid F and got a very similar treatment as you did, and if I hadn't grown up as a polite Canadian, there would definitely have been a DYKWIA moment. Ironically I was also dressed fairly nicely, having gone to the airport straight from work, but the two European men behind me in (what smelled like) unwashed tracksuits weren't accosted at all.

Weirdly, no issues when going through the T5 first class wing though. pleasant surprise.
Charlie120 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
"MacDonalds"
A hotel chain, https://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/ I am not sure what the meal deal is.
watersign and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: QF WP
Just witnessed some complete idiot having a crack at the gate ticket checking lady at HEX T5 about the fact you can’t but tickets on the train

if there was a pressure of time I might understand but this was about 7 minutes before the train was even scheduled to depart!! So he comfortably had time to buy his ticket at the oh so inconvenient ticket machine, and then sit on the train fuming for 5 minutes

as an aside, is it not possible to use contactless?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by nancypants
Just witnessed some complete idiot having a crack at the gate ticket checking lady at HEX T5 about the fact you can’t but tickets on the train

You used to be able to, I quite liked speaking to a human. Until I found out about the 12-ticket carnet (why do they use the French word by the way?)
Originally Posted by nancypants
as an aside, is it not possible to use contactless?
I saw adverts for it recently, I think it is now but recent (or soon)
watersign likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: QF WP
I’m sure you used to be able to, but he seemed to be fully aware that was no longer possible and also seemed to think that having a go at some poor wage slave was the correct way to go about expressing his dislike for the change in policy

i’d have had a good mind to tell him to .... off. But the attendant was obviously a better person than I 😉
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Lady in CW on a flight yesterday from LHR to DXB had a F pyjama top on over a hoody. I was in WTP, and she walked through and down through the WT cabin around every hour of the flight. DYKIOFIF?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:01 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
Lady in CW on a flight yesterday from LHR to DXB had a F pyjama top on over a hoody. I was in WTP, and she walked through and down through the WT cabin around every hour of the flight. DYKIOFIF?
To be fair, I use F pyjama tops daily when I go to the gym, albeit not always the BA ones.

They're warm, stretchy, and keep their shape in the wash (albeit not the colour!).

So I fall into the same category of often flying in F!

M
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
wearing the pyjamas over the hoody is just weird though
VSLover, wrp96, alex67500 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
DYKIOFIF?
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
So I fall into the same category of often flying in F!
I translated it as Did You Know I Once Flew In First
NoY, YacozA, wrp96 and 9 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
I translated it as Did You Know I Once Flew In First
Or - given such odd behaviour - quite possibly may never have flown in F at all !

Could have got her PJ top from someone who did ..... from a car boot sale or charity shop (have actually spotted examples at both .....) ........ could have surreptitiously snagged one left lying on seat at the end of a flight.

watersign and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by subject2load

Or - given such odd behaviour - quite possibly may never have flown in F at all !

Could have got her PJ top from someone who did ..... from a car boot sale or charity shop (have actually spotted examples at both .....) ........ could have surreptitiously snagged one left lying on seat at the end of a flight.

Is wearing First pyjamas in another cabin a faux pas? I was planning on wearing some in J but don't want to cause a stink and definitely don't want to sneer at the Y pax who'll be uncomfortable enough on a 747 for 11 hours.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by subject2load

Or on Ebay where they feature frequently.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:26 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by u01sss3
Is wearing First pyjamas in another cabin a faux pas? I was planning on wearing some in J but don't want to cause a stink and definitely don't want to sneer at the Y pax who'll be uncomfortable enough on a 747 for 11 hours.
I don't consider it a faux pas. Be comfortable in any cabin, sod whatever other people think.
wrp96, BotB, Tobias-UK and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.