Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Seven- no idea and even seeing a photo didn't help.
Eight.

I barely recognise any 'celebs' at all. I've only managed to recognise Sir Bob Geldof, Sir Norman Lamont and a few ballet dancer so far.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Make it nine of many thousands of FTers ... and this will become a long thread unless we get back to real DYKWIA moments!
Scots_Al, onobond and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Eight.

I barely recognise any 'celebs' at all. I've only managed to recognise Sir Bob Geldof, Sir Norman Lamont and a few ballet dancer so far.

A clue to a former career, having met you a couple of times?
wrp96 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Nah, just easy to recognise due to the way they dress... 😋
T8191, wrp96, Tobias-UK and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Eight.

On a recent flight in CW to KIN, I was in 1F, Usain Bolt was in 2G (ie right in front of me), he was however swathed in a hoodie, a scarf and sunglasses and promptly reclined his seat and went to sleep; I had no idea who he was (I vaguely guessed he might be some form of musician)...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC
Had some worries about looking like a DUKWIA tonight while trying to find the group 1 - the 4/5 group was spread out and did ask as worked forward to find that the group 1 has just one other person in it.

I think rest of CE came down from lounge slightly later, or got held up at passport control, which seemed slow, i.e. just one person and no auto gates working. This was delayed BA419 LUX to LHR

Did have trouble finding lounge, as some signs in airport send you to a closed escalator and lift, not until I'd studied a better map did I find it was down an unmarked corridor by security.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Agneisse
The interview officers have questionable knowledge of non-citizen/LPR entry requirements. I was also told erroneous information by mine, which took quite some effort to correct.
travelling through US preclearance in Dublin the other day, I have a CBP officer stamp my passport.

This is despite having GE. When asked he replied “because you not a US citizen”

I informed him that in the last 6 years since getting GE this was the first stamp I got. His face was priceless, as he was convinced he was right.

Last edited by BillyBleach; Mar 10, 2019 at 5:03 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by T8191
[/B]
Oh no. I am just a keen (non-DYKWIA!) member of the audience.

Speaking of celebrity unawareness, I was once on a BA flight to OTP where someone was getting inordinate amount of attention from crew and passengers. Curious, I asked who he was (I had no idea). The crew member (who was a bit of a well-known character himself) told me it was Ilie Nastase. Now you might think, being a bad boy of tennis (I knew his name, I didn't know his face), he might be DYKWIA. He wasn't. He kindly even picked up my bag for me off the carousel when he saw it was rather large when I was about to pick it up .

Ah, and Sir Bob Geldof was rather non-DYKWIA. He was waiting at the carousel with everyone else. He didn't even have the sunglasses on for some time, and was very chatty to whoever he seemed to be travelling with.

My apologies for turning the thread into an almost counter-DYKWIA and IDKWYA (I Don't Know Who You Are).
dcmike and T8191 like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 10, 2019 at 5:25 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by BillyBleach

travelling through US preclearance in Dublin the other day, I have a CBP officer stamp my passport.

This is despite having GE. When asked he replied “because you not a US citizen”

I informed him that in the last 6 years since getting GE this was the first stamp I got. His face was priceless, as he was convinced he was right.
It must have been the same officer who insisted I present my GE card if I indeed have GE. He did not accept that these are not issued to non-US residents and there was no much point in arguing with “I work here so I know” argument...
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by wmaciej

It must have been the same officer who insisted I present my GE card if I indeed have GE. He did not accept that these are not issued to non-US residents and there was no much point in arguing with “I work here so I know” argument...
Triple negative?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SaturdayKid
Not a BA instance but as we seem to all enjoy general DWKWIA and I have not seen this posted previously I thought the group might enjoy. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/when-...attle-hansson/ Mods please delete if it has been posted before
That story is curated from what was undoubtedly a different interaction. In other words, invented.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingGarden
Had some worries about looking like a DUKWIA tonight while trying to find the group 1 - the 4/5 group was spread out and did ask as worked forward to find that the group 1 has just one other person in it.

I think rest of CE came down from lounge slightly later, or got held up at passport control, which seemed slow, i.e. just one person and no auto gates working. This was delayed BA419 LUX to LHR

Did have trouble finding lounge, as some signs in airport send you to a closed escalator and lift, not until I'd studied a better map did I find it was down an unmarked corridor by security.
I was on this flight!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by firstlight
On a recent flight in CW to KIN, I was in 1F, Usain Bolt was in 2G (ie right in front of me), he was however swathed in a hoodie, a scarf and sunglasses and promptly reclined his seat and went to sleep; I had no idea who he was (I vaguely guessed he might be some form of musician)...
Odd seat configuration!
Cotumely likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by navylad
A genuine IKWYA (I know who you are) (perhaps belongs in celeb) anyway flying SIN back to LHr on the BA12, Prof Brian Cox and party of three attempted to jump the queue at the security check to the gate area (A380, long premium queue of F, CW and BAEC/OW status pax). The Singapore agent had none of it and sent them to the back of the queue saying ‘there all premium passengers, the back of the queue is that way.

He was prob in CW as wasn’t in the F cabin.
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
For some reason I am more forgiving of 'our Brian' trying it on.
I met ‘our Brian’ at the buffet in the exec lounge of a hotel in Sydney a few years ago. I told him knew his face but I just couldn’t place him. He said “I’m Brian” (obviously a You Should Know Who I Am). I still couldn’t place him - he could have been one of our postmen for all I knew - so I asked what he was doing in Sydney. He said he was giving a lecture in the State Theatre around the corner. I still had to Google him, then for a while afterwards he seemed to be on TV every time I turned it on, just like Dr Michael Mosley.

Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA (silver)
Originally Posted by LondonElite

That story is curated from what was undoubtedly a different interaction. In other words, invented.
How do you know? It’s an except from her book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.