Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
This thread relates to SPG Law's proposed Group Proceedings against British Airways, in respect of the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the GDPR).
There is a separate thread that relates to the actual data breaches and their implications for customers, which is to be found here: BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data

The one law firm that currently seems to be persuing a Class Action against BA is SPG. They have a specific site set up at https://www.badatabreach.com/ - please make sure you check all the FAQs and terms and conditions and make sure the Class Action is right for you before you sign up.

* SPG is now PGMBM.
* Payments are being made through Shieldpay, who are seeming to be both lethargic and/or inept.
Print Wikipost

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've sent them an email saying I want to see the new engagement documents and understand how they will be reimbursed before I complete the survey, let's see what they say.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Just had the email ... I shall read and re-read slowly in the calm light of day.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
BA admitted to me via email that my account had been included in the date breach in Sep (I think). It wasn't until 30 Dec that the CC linked to my BA account (AMEX) was used remotely and fraudulently for a JL transaction. I spotted it immediately and Amex refunded the charge. Is there a link? Should I join the group action?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by cosmo74
I've sent them an email saying I want to see the new engagement documents and understand how they will be reimbursed before I complete the survey, let's see what they say.
Did they respond to you on this? I had the same email and am not inclined to submit the survey until I understand what changes they have drafted...
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Traveller 935
Did they respond to you on this? I had the same email and am not inclined to submit the survey until I understand what changes they have drafted...
No, I've had no response. I'd suggest everyone with concerns emails them as well, if they get a few emails asking for the same information they may take notice.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
I've only just come across this but was impacted by the breach (and cycled/cancelled my card at some personal faff having to re-confirm bookings for things with a new card number etc).

I'd be interested in joining in / signing up if it seems to be worthwhile- The language on the website still talks about a 35% fee taken by them, but maybe I should wait until you hear back from them, or do you reckon I just sign up (assuming I agree with the terms on their site etc) and see what gets communicated as a new joiner?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I’ve done the survey. I had no fiscal imapct at all, but of course spent severak days (while on holidy in Malta) worrying and frequently checking my cards. I claim for distress ... thankfully nothing more than that. But if I do skim off a few ££ from BA’s coffers, I will not be ashamed of so doing.
Tiger_lily, JamieABZ and LHR FLYER like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I see BA are claiming that no one was impacted by the breach.

Two of my colleagues had card transactions occur so it's head in the sand at BA again.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by lhrpete
Do you have a source for this please?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat

Two of my colleagues had card transactions occur so it's head in the sand at BA again.
But how were they impacted?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by golfmad
This is an excerpt from the IAG Final Results 2018 report, published on 28 Feb 2019

31 Contingent liabilities and guarantees

Theft of customer data at British Airways

On September 6, 2018 British Airways announced the theft of certain of its customers' personal data. Following an investigation into the theft, British Airways announced on October 25, 2018 that further personal data had potentially been compromised. As at the date of this report, BA was not aware of any confirmed cases of fraud. British Airways continues to cooperate with the investigations of the UK Information Commissioner's Office and other relevant regulators. British Airways has received letters before action from certain UK law firms threatening claims arising from the data breach. Additionally, a putative class action has been filed in the Eastern District of New York, USA. The outcome of the various investigations and litigation, which British Airways will vigorously defend, is uncertain. British Airways holds certain insurance policies.
Link

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 4, 2019 at 12:54 pm Reason: Add link to source
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Im just going to say this, which i know will be very unpopular, that the fact this is still chundering on well after the event, full of very anally retentive comments fearing the worse, and demanding retribution through a class action doesn't throw the best light on people. Particularly when coupled with the sentiment of 'BA is Cheap, cutting costs, and I want to punish them'.

Im non the wiser about genuine loss - and im not talking about people that cancelled their only credit card with no good reason while in Timbuktu, and had to sell their grandmother to get home, (In First via Dubai as that was the only ticket available and they had to get home to pick up their new credit card).
LondonCanuck likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

Originally Posted by golfmad
Originally Posted by Prospero
This is an excerpt from the IAG Final Results 2018 report, published on 28 Feb 2019

31 Contingent liabilities and guarantees

Theft of customer data at British Airways

On September 6, 2018 British Airways announced the theft of certain of its customers' personal data. Following an investigation into the theft, British Airways announced on October 25, 2018 that further personal data had potentially been compromised. As at the date of this report, BA was not aware of any confirmed cases of fraud. British Airways continues to cooperate with the investigations of the UK Information Commissioner's Office and other relevant regulators. British Airways has received letters before action from certain UK law firms threatening claims arising from the data breach. Additionally, a putative class action has been filed in the Eastern District of New York, USA. The outcome of the various investigations and litigation, which British Airways will vigorously defend, is uncertain. British Airways holds certain insurance policies.
Link
Thank you, that's very helpful. The extract states that BA were 'not aware of any confirmed cases of fraud'. I'm not sure whether this is the same source referred to by @lhrpete but it's quite different to 'I see BA are claiming that no one was impacted by the breach.'
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:24 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ukgooner
Im just going to say this, which i know will be very unpopular, that the fact this is still chundering on well after the event, full of very anally retentive comments fearing the worse, and demanding retribution through a class action doesn't throw the best light on people. Particularly when coupled with the sentiment of 'BA is Cheap, cutting costs, and I want to punish them'.

Im non the wiser about genuine loss - and im not talking about people that cancelled their only credit card with no good reason while in Timbuktu, and had to sell their grandmother to get home, (In First via Dubai as that was the only ticket available and they had to get home to pick up their new credit card).
Yeah, poor old BA. We should let them off as they made such a huge loss last year.
gordon0808 and PAL62V like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:33 am

The whole situation was quite annoying (I had fraud on my card in the few days before they even discovered the extra lines of code on their payment page) but it wasn't until BA started stating over and over that no confirmed cases of fraud had taken place that I (and others) got angry at their arrogance. I understand that this is most likely a legal position to not admit any liability of course, but they essentially tell us that the very real fraud that our card companies have had to deal with doesn't exist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.