FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:57 pm
golfmad
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by lhrpete
I see BA are claiming that no one was impacted by the breach.

Two of my colleagues had card transactions occur so it's head in the sand at BA again.
Originally Posted by golfmad
Do you have a source for this please?
Originally Posted by Prospero
This is an excerpt from the IAG Final Results 2018 report, published on 28 Feb 2019

31 Contingent liabilities and guarantees

Theft of customer data at British Airways

On September 6, 2018 British Airways announced the theft of certain of its customers' personal data. Following an investigation into the theft, British Airways announced on October 25, 2018 that further personal data had potentially been compromised. As at the date of this report, BA was not aware of any confirmed cases of fraud. British Airways continues to cooperate with the investigations of the UK Information Commissioner's Office and other relevant regulators. British Airways has received letters before action from certain UK law firms threatening claims arising from the data breach. Additionally, a putative class action has been filed in the Eastern District of New York, USA. The outcome of the various investigations and litigation, which British Airways will vigorously defend, is uncertain. British Airways holds certain insurance policies.
Link
Thank you, that's very helpful. The extract states that BA were 'not aware of any confirmed cases of fraud'. I'm not sure whether this is the same source referred to by @lhrpete but it's quite different to 'I see BA are claiming that no one was impacted by the breach.'