Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
This thread relates to SPG Law's proposed Group Proceedings against British Airways, in respect of the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the GDPR).
There is a separate thread that relates to the actual data breaches and their implications for customers, which is to be found here: BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data

The one law firm that currently seems to be persuing a Class Action against BA is SPG. They have a specific site set up at https://www.badatabreach.com/ - please make sure you check all the FAQs and terms and conditions and make sure the Class Action is right for you before you sign up.

* SPG is now PGMBM.
* Payments are being made through Shieldpay, who are seeming to be both lethargic and/or inept.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: *A G, OW S.

I had the email this morning too.

It's not just card details though that is bad enough. Name, address (I've lived in the same place for 25 years with no plans to go anywhere) and date of birth are the foundation of so much information gathering by fraudsters and the ticking time bomb of the damage can go on for a long time before it finally explodes.

BA playing the victim in all of this is just sickening, they may be the victim of criminal activity but that is only because their systems were not secure enough or fit for purpose. Their suggestions of what they will compensate for are woefully inadequate but as one would expect. I'll be signing up to the class action later today and even if I never get anything it will ensure that BA are publically examined in court about how this mess came about. More and more things go wrong and they just walk away, ruining travel plans and so on. This time they will be held accountable in court and I want to see it.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
I had the email this morning too.

I'll be signing up to the class action later today and even if I never get anything it will ensure that BA are publically examined in court about how this mess came about. More and more things go wrong and they just walk away, ruining travel plans and so on. This time they will be held accountable in court and I want to see it.
This is the first I have read about a class action. Where is this info as I may very well join it too.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: too many
as an ex-employee of one of their suppliers in departure systems, I lost count of the number of issues we had to deal with due to their shoddy IT infrastructure...
I'm also impacted by this, and have joined the class action at https://www.badatabreach.com

Still pondering what to do with CX...
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by PAL62V
This is the first I have read about a class action. Where is this info as I may very well join it too.
https://www.badatabreach.com/
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
#metoo . All the result of an award booking. I've signed up for the class action and want to see BA held to account for this in the most public way and then I want to see heads roll.

I've deleted all card data from their website on the advice of the bank and on doing so was reminded that their website and card data are safe - if this is safe, God help us.

I wonder if the aircraft are maintained to the same standard as website security which on every booking tells you you are being kept safe on line and in the air. Reassuring isn't it?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by simons1
Although not caught up in "Data Leak 2 - The Incompetents Return", I guess I'll take a chance in exposing my data somewhere else on the Web.

OK, they're suggesting ~Ł1500, of which they'll take 35% max, but if it buys a bottle or two I'll regard that as fair in our case.

In comparison ... Waitrose. We had a pre-prepared food item with an obscure bit of some sort of packing material (a 'paper' disc about 2" diameter). OH photographed it and sent email to Waitrose, noting that she felt they should be aware - nothing more. She was given a reference number, and asked to visit the local store with the 'hard evidence'. Duty Manager whisks her down to the wine department and insist she chooses a bottle - further compo will follow once Head Office have examined the evidence and contacted the supplier. All she wanted to do was point out a possible production issue!!
JamieABZ likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by T8191
Although not caught up in "Data Leak 2 - The Incompetents Return", I guess I'll take a chance in exposing my data somewhere else on the Web.

OK, they're suggesting ~Ł1500, of which they'll take 35% max, but if it buys a bottle or two I'll regard that as fair.

In comparison ... Waitrose. We had a pre-prepared food item with an obscure bit of some sort of packing material (a 'paper' disc about 2" diameter). OH photographed it and sent email to Waitrose, noting that she felt they should be aware - nothing more. She was given a reference number, and asked to visit the local store with the 'hard evidence'. Duty Manager whisks her down to the wine department and insist she chooses a bottle - further compo will follow once Head Office have examined the evidence and contacted the supplier. All she wanted to do was point out a possible production issue!!
In a similar vein, weekly commute on bmi to AMS. Special meal not loaded 3 weeks on the trot. Rang customer services to just ask if they could get it right the following week. A cheque for Ł100 appears on the post, we’re really really sorry, please have a complimentary meal on us.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:09 am

OK, they're suggesting ~Ł1500, of which they'll take 35% max, but if it buys a bottle or two I'll regard that as fair in our case.

Lucky you. My projects manager, a Falklands Islander needed a quick trip to Portugal with his wife to visit her sick mother. As they are on our Friends and Family list I got them a quick LGW-OPO-LGW in CE.
Remembering no good deed goes unpunished I looked up the dates,and bingo BA has me a second time. And no email yet either. I suppose because I did not travel the incompetent idiots dont think I need to be advised.It was my Avios and my Amex for the taxes, so I hope this gets BA an additional fine.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Another one with a growing collection of pathetic BA emails. Not joined the class action yet as want to see what ICO will do first.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:22 am

I don't see you have much to lose really.

Otherwise the chances of BA doing anything voluntarily are smaller than the chances of you flying the Atlantic by flapping your arms.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by firstlight
Another one with a growing collection of pathetic BA emails. Not joined the class action yet as want to see what ICO will do first.
Well considering it took them almost a year to rule on the HAL leak and months to rule on Cambridge Analytica, don’t be expecting anything soon
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

Well considering it took them almost a year to rule on the HAL leak and months to rule on Cambridge Analytica, don’t be expecting anything soon
On current form I should live long enough.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
I think that this is a separate hack from what’s been said so far.
That may indeed be the case, but it is still [excuse the word] penetration of a data system that was supposed to look after our personal data.

I have just signed up for the Class Action .. no win, no fee, and up yours BA.
Tiger_lily and JamieABZ like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Maybe we need a separate thread about the Class Action Suit
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by BAEC
Maybe we need a separate thread about the Class Action Suit
And we can save this thread for the next hack? 🤣

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.