Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
This thread relates to SPG Law's proposed Group Proceedings against British Airways, in respect of the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the GDPR).
There is a separate thread that relates to the actual data breaches and their implications for customers, which is to be found here: BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data

The one law firm that currently seems to be persuing a Class Action against BA is SPG. They have a specific site set up at https://www.badatabreach.com/ - please make sure you check all the FAQs and terms and conditions and make sure the Class Action is right for you before you sign up.

* SPG is now PGMBM.
* Payments are being made through Shieldpay, who are seeming to be both lethargic and/or inept.
Print Wikipost

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Interesting that they’re accepting new claimants when the result is almost a foregone conclusion.
You say that because of the ICO fine decision?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Schwann
You say that because of the ICO fine decision?
Yes, in that IMO that rather proves the case.

I wish I knew a bookmaker who would let me place bets after the race had finished
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:56 am

I've signed up but I had one uncertainty, it said that I authorise Ł625 to be deducted from the settlement in the event of success. On the website, it states 25% is deducted to cover costs. Does this mean they're suing for Ł2500 (making Ł625 twenty five percent)? If awarded less (let's say Ł1,000) then would we need to deduct Ł625 or Ł250? On the website of HC it states "While each case is different, we expect to claim up to Ł5,000 per person"

I'm just a bit confused. I'm not looking for financial so any number is fine by me, the main point is I want BA to have to admit to guilt. Does anyone have any clarification on this? I know I have 14 days to cancel my agreement, so will do some digging over the next few weeks. I figured there's nothing to lose.

First impressions of HC is much better than SPG. The documents HC require seems a lot more formal (not that I've ever sued before!)
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: VA Gold, Avios
I'm wondering what the latest is on this. I haven't joined any of the class actions at this stage.

My case is a little complex. I had a brand new card which I used to pay for a colleagues seats on our existing BA booking, booked through an agent. BA were adamant I had not been affected by the hack, but the card hadn't been used elsewhere and I had lots of attempted fraudulent transactions on the card, all attempted flight bookings out of India. Unfortunately, it was a Revolut card who's customer services is abysmal, so spent hours trying to get the card cancelled/transactions reversed. Thankfully lost no money in the end and all the transactions were auto declined, but I didn't know that for a few days, so it was all rather stressful and a big waste of my time.

BA trying to suggest I was wrong about being included also made me angry, as it's obviously been a rather slack investigation and they have missed that those paying for seats would have also been affected.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Hayes Connor have sent out an update this afternoon.

What is happening with this case?

As you know, the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) has announced plans to fine British Airways (BA) Ł183.93 million for the data breach that put your personal information at risk.

Since this announcement, we havesubmitted our proposal for settlement to the law firm dealing with the BA data breach. We are awaiting a reply from BA’s solicitors. This is due this month.

If this settlement offer is not accepted, it is likely that all clients involved in this case will become part of a larger group litigation action.

A full update will be sent out regarding the offer and the next steps once we have their response

Yours etc etc
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Bronze; HHonors Diamond; Amex Platinum
Has anyone heard anything from SPG since the fine was announced?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by MAN-FF
Has anyone heard anything from SPG since the fine was announced?
SPG seem to have gone onto radio silence. The correspondence I've had from HC indicates that they too are bored waiting for SPG
Old Aug 24, 2019, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
SPG seem to have gone onto radio silence. The correspondence I've had from HC indicates that they too are bored waiting for SPG
Yes, 5 months since I last heard from them, and 2 months since the ICO announced the Ł183m fine.

I have just sent SPG a 'nudging' email asking what's happening.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And ... a reply this very day (12:06). Not a lot of substance, TBH.

Good Morning,

Further to your previous email.

BA have stated that they will provide a full narrative as to the what happened during the data breach with disclosure of pertinent documents. We will review the same when it arrives before considering whether to make an application to Court for disclosure of further documents. If we made an application now so close to the promised narrative a Court may criticise and award costs against us. In actions of this size it is prudent to move forward cautiously so as to minimise the possibility of adverse costs which can run into the hundreds of thousands.

There is also a hearing at Court in October to discuss the terms of a group litigation order. The order provide the parties with a set of steps that must be complied with during the litigation.
Fair point on waiting, I guess.
<snip> relating to the ICO fine ... then
With this being said, we must wait for ICO’s report to see how supportive it is but given that they have issued a record fine it is safe to say that it thinks that BA has breached the data regulations.

We will of course provide an update once the narrative is received and also when we have received the report from the ICO.
Signed by a Paralegal.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:48 pm

I wonder if HC will send out an update next week, as they were expecting a response “this month”
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:08 am

Right on cue

Good Afternoon ,

We write to advise you about our ongoing exchange of communications with DWF solicitors. DWF is acting on behalf of British Airways.

DWF has issued a High Court application to obtain a Group Litigation Order. This application will be heard on the 4th October 2019 at the High Court in London.

A Group Litigation Order ensures that all claims are managed collectively, even if they are being handled by different solicitors.

As it stands, the disclosure request we have made to DWF is on hold pending that application.

Over the coming weeks, we will work with the other firms involved in this case to agree to a course of action should the Group Litigation Order be successful. Crucially, we will ensure a coordinated approach so that your claim moves forward as quickly as possible.

As it stands DWF, could have sought to settle the claims. However, it has chosen not to do so at this stage.

The Group Litigation Order application means that we can't take any further action until the Court rules on that issue.

If you need to give us any further information regarding your case please contact us via email:[email protected]

Kind Regards,

Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Suitably convoluted, but at least some sort of progress is being made. 4/10/19 in my Diary!
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I think BA have proven previously that they have no problem dragging their heels to the maximum extent possible, even if that - eventually - ends up costing them more.

I'm not expecting a resolution on this until early 2021.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Just to let you know I’ve been contacted via another social media channel by a young lady called Kam from A PR firm called PHA Group. They are working with a media outlet and interested to hear how people were affected by the BA Data Breach with a view on trying to get more people to claim/bring awareness of the situation. They are not involved in any class action just want to report the details. I told her about this group and this page and she might choose to register and invite people to contact her directly. I’m merely posting this just in case a new poster suddenly asks these questions.

She did ask if you were happy for your picture to be published etc so best compensation faces at the ready.

If anybody wants me to put them I touch with her please let me know via PM and I’ll be happy to oblige
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:17 pm

The Daily Fail is reporting that BA is trying to minimise payouts by joining the group action itself ��

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ta-breach.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.