Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
This thread relates to SPG Law's proposed Group Proceedings against British Airways, in respect of the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the GDPR).
There is a separate thread that relates to the actual data breaches and their implications for customers, which is to be found here: BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data

The one law firm that currently seems to be persuing a Class Action against BA is SPG. They have a specific site set up at https://www.badatabreach.com/ - please make sure you check all the FAQs and terms and conditions and make sure the Class Action is right for you before you sign up.

* SPG is now PGMBM.
* Payments are being made through Shieldpay, who are seeming to be both lethargic and/or inept.
Print Wikipost

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Yeah, poor old BA. We should let them off as they made such a huge loss last year.

Which proves my point.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond
I tried to complete the survey as requested to confirm my agreement to the change in terms and the LMA.
Sadly the link then said I had already completed it.
True, several months ago before the terms and LMA changed.
Perhaps they'll just be assuming I agree with everything they do and so won't expect me to respond to their request for another set of agreements.
Who knows?
Any idea if other class actions are ongoing in case these chaps really are as poor as they appear?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Worked fine for me ... Mac/Safari, UK ISP.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Moscowflyer
I tried to complete the survey as requested to confirm my agreement to the change in terms and the LMA.
Perhaps they'll just be assuming I agree with everything they do and so won't expect me to respond to their request for another set of agreements.
Who knows?
Any idea if other class actions are ongoing in case these chaps really are as poor as they appear?
I had the same problem. It would have logged your ip address I wonder using a vpn or simply rebooting your internet might help. I have other people using my internet at present. I am not able to try rebooting the router.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've received the same and am still a bit uneasy having looked through the legal documents - I'm not a legal expert but they don't seem to say what's written in their email. Has anyone actually read through these and fi so are they happy with what they say?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Moscowflyer
Who knows?

I gave up on these jokers and moved my claim to Hayes Connor who appear to be a little more organised. Also, they're a UK based firm whereas SPG are an American firm with an office in the UK. Unless someone can correct me here?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by cosmo74
I've received the same and am still a bit uneasy having looked through the legal documents - I'm not a legal expert but they don't seem to say what's written in their email. Has anyone actually read through these and fi so are they happy with what they say?
I have not joined the class action suit, nor is it my intention to do so.

This clause written in the Conditional Fee Arrangement document suggests you may be liable for SPG's disbursements and expenses and some or all of BA's costs in the event the claim fails.
What Do I Pay If I Lose?
5.1 If you lose you do not have to pay our basic charges provided that you have complied with our Terms & Conditions. However, you may be required to pay our disbursements & expenses, although these may be covered by any ATE insurance policy you have purchased, subject to compliance with the Terms & Conditions of that policy;

5.2 If you lose your claim, you may be responsible for some, or all, of the Opponent’s costs. These costs may be covered by any ATE insurance policy you have purchased, subject to compliance with the Terms & Conditions of that policy.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that ATE Insurance rang alarm bells with me too.

As I have suffered no financial loss, just a couple of days of stress, I’m bailing out of this game.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:17 am

The Conditional Fee Agreement is frighteningly contradictory to the email promises of "Either way, win or lose, you will not pay a penny". As it stands I am loathed to continue with this.
PAL62V, T8191 and groenroos like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have also noticed the following in the earlier documentation ...

As you have waived your right to “cooling off” period if you cancel your claim you will be liable for our fees as above.
In other words, pulling out after the 14 day cooling off period appear to render one liable for some costs.

Has anyone here actually cancelled with SPG? How did it go, and were there any fees associated with that?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: too many
I've asked them to clarify
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
I have also noticed the following in the earlier documentation ...

In other words, pulling out after the 14 day cooling off period appear to render one liable for some costs.

Has anyone here actually cancelled with SPG? How did it go, and were there any fees associated with that?
I'm assuming that if you don't want to accept their new terms, you can just walk away without doing anything else. Would that be the case? There are too many questions marks over fees arising from the new documents for me to want to continue.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:46 am

i want to know the answer to above I dont want to continue with this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:59 am

I've e-mailed asking to be removed from the case. No response yet, but will update when I hear more.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: too many
Thank you for your email.

In regards to the new terms, you will not be required to pay us 35% of any compensation awarded and you will instead retain 100%. This is also a no win no fee agreement which means if we are unsuccessful – we are covered by insurance. Therefore, you will not be liable to pay our fees.

Kind regards,

Here's what I got from them
zanderblue and T8191 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.