Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
This thread relates to SPG Law's proposed Group Proceedings against British Airways, in respect of the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the GDPR).
There is a separate thread that relates to the actual data breaches and their implications for customers, which is to be found here: BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data

The one law firm that currently seems to be persuing a Class Action against BA is SPG. They have a specific site set up at https://www.badatabreach.com/ - please make sure you check all the FAQs and terms and conditions and make sure the Class Action is right for you before you sign up.

* SPG is now PGMBM.
* Payments are being made through Shieldpay, who are seeming to be both lethargic and/or inept.
Print Wikipost

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by BAEC

Dud you receive an email with a file reference number?
Yes. The message about approval came up at the end of completing the "bot".
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Yes. The message about approval came up at the end of completing the "bot".
Then you should be ok.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by jackcarr
I signed up this morning. It's not even about the money, it's about BA's attitude.
Where can I sign up? There is no link in the wiki.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Where can I sign up? There is no link in the wiki.
The link is upthread. But it's also now in the Wiki.
https://www.badatabreach.com/
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by plunet
The link is upthread. But it's also now in the Wiki/
Thanks.

Gave them my email - but didn't click "yes". These lawyers don't make it clear we don't pay if they lose. What if their insurance fails? What if their insurance doesn't pay? Not for me.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Signed up

Last edited by flyertalker00197; Oct 28, 2018 at 6:06 am Reason: Combine three consecutive posts
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:24 pm
DS7

Programs: BA (shiny); VS (amoeba); Others (plankton)
Originally Posted by plunet
The link is upthread. But it's also now in the Wiki.
https://www.badatabreach.com/
”By joining a group action that we believe will attract thousands of others like you led by the experts at SPG Law, you have the best chance of ensuring you receiver the highest compensation possible from BA.”

can’t stand spelling mistakes. Suggests (to me) an unprofessional outfit to allow this to be on their website.
Not signing up.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Just signed upi!
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:06 pm

Just had a cursory google on this and I very quickly discovered at least two other class actions being organised by different law firms - https://www.hayesconnor.co.uk/britis...s-data-breach/ and British Airways Data Breach Class Action Investigation | Migliaccio & Rathod LLP

Presuming you want to be a part of this whole thing, how on earth do you decide who to join and what's the likelihood of law firms joining forces on this one, once the total claimants have been signed up?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by MGUK
A word of warning: I use PayPal for my tax payments for the BA redemptions. I’ve just had an unauthorised “subscription” activated on my PayPal account. The vendor’s information was all in katakana. It never happened before. I’d be surprised it it was unrelated.
I wotnder if anyone else using PayPal for BA transactions may have got affected. Coraggio!
That will be me. I always use PayPal to pay the tax component of award tickets and I did so during the period stated. So far, no strange transactions.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Just had a cursory google on this and I very quickly discovered at least two other class actions being organised by different law firms - https://www.hayesconnor.co.uk/britis...s-data-breach/ and British Airways Data Breach Class Action Investigation Migliaccio & Rathod LLP

Presuming you want to be a part of this whole thing, how on earth do you decide who to join and what's the likelihood of law firms joining forces on this one, once the total claimants have been signed up?
In relation to this, is it possible that only one of the three wins and the other(s) lose? Or people win different sums based on who they join? And how about people who didn’t join at all, no compensation for them?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Are there any lawyers out there who have read the fine print of the T&C's and who would suggest signing up? I'm slightly concerned by the General Terms in Section 1 that seem to suggest that they can seek payment from you if you breach a whole load of their terms:

If any of the following events occur, you will be in breach of the Agreement with the effect that you will be liable for, and we will seek payment of, our hourly rate, VAT and disbursements as set out in this agreement: a. You fail to co-operate with us. b. You fail to follow our advice. c. You fail to attend any appointment or court hearing which we request you to attend. d. You fail to give us necessary instructions when we ask for them, or you fail to give us instructions that allow us to do our work properly. e. You withdraw instructions from us. f. You reject our legal advice about making a settlement with your opponent. g. You ask us to work in an improper or unreasonable way. h. You mislead us or any party involved in your claim (including any expert instructed in the matter). i. You are dishonest or exaggerate your claim.

Seems broad enough that you could easily fail some of those and end up with a big bill.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Just had a cursory google on this and I very quickly discovered at least two other class actions being organised by different law firms - https://www.hayesconnor.co.uk/britis...s-data-breach/ and British Airways Data Breach Class Action Investigation Migliaccio & Rathod LLP

Ambulance chasers?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: too many
joined as well, and likewise for the CX data breach (the latter not for the money rather of utter bewilderment that they knew about it for a few months).
Both with SPG law, with a cooling off period.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by nk15

In relation to this, is it possible that only one of the three wins and the other(s) lose? Or people win different sums based on who they join? And how about people who didn’t join at all, no compensation for them?
I would expect that if people don't join, but if the class actions win, then others will find it easier to apply for compensation - whether because BA is instructed to, or whether they would realise that they couldn't successfully fight future cases. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.