Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
This thread relates to SPG Law's proposed Group Proceedings against British Airways, in respect of the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the GDPR).
There is a separate thread that relates to the actual data breaches and their implications for customers, which is to be found here: BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data

The one law firm that currently seems to be persuing a Class Action against BA is SPG. They have a specific site set up at https://www.badatabreach.com/ - please make sure you check all the FAQs and terms and conditions and make sure the Class Action is right for you before you sign up.

* SPG is now PGMBM.
* Payments are being made through Shieldpay, who are seeming to be both lethargic and/or inept.
Print Wikipost

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2021, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Originally Posted by billinghamn
I made a fuss to ShieldPay about being asked to enter my personal details via a dodgy-looking form when they first emailed me (on 17th Aug) and they have finally worked out an alternative way to confirm the identity of me and my bank account. ShieldPay passed on my whinge to PGBMBM and I have just been called by a very nicely spoken young lady representing PGMBM, who acknowledged there were a number of people who were concerned about the method being employed to (re) enter their personal details.
  1. Firstly, she took me through a security check that gave me confidence that she was who she said she was. I.e. partly providing info to me and asking me to complete the details. Basic stuff but based on what I have seen to date, that's a big improvement.
  2. Secondly, she offered me an alternative approach to providing bank account details. That is for ShieldPay to email me with a request to provide sort code and bank account number only - I don't need to (re) enter my personal details any more. Once they have that info, they will transfer a small amount of money into my account along with a ref number. I'll then provide the ref back to ShieldPay and they will then send the full settlement amount.

Anyway, thought it was worth sharing a story about them trying to learn lessons. If anyone else is in the same boat, there might be a new approach on the way. It's a small win and I look forward to receiving my money now.
OK, Lets work on the basis that you are a scammer … you give ShieldPay an account number, sort code and name and they transfer a small amount with ref number that you have to confirm. Obviously you’re giving them details to an account that you have access to, or you would be the worlds dumbest scammer. So when you confirm the deposit details, the remaining balance will be forwarded. Surely(Shirley), ShieldPay aren’t THAT DUMB ?
Old Sep 17, 2021, 5:16 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL
Surely(Shirley)
Don’t call me Shirley

I’m surprised scammers haven’t tried impersonating Shieldpay yet asking people to transfer £100 to them to verify their account in order to receive their payout.
mrow, BritBoyInFL, kc1174 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 4:52 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Looks like some of us are letting ShieldPay know what we think of them;
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.shieldpay.com
Terrible reviews keep coming in and some of them are pretty entertaining.
Trustpilot sent me the following message:

"You were recently asked to provide Shieldpay with more information related to your review. You now have 2 days left to get back to them.
Of course, it’s still totally up to you what you share.
"

They are asking for Email, Reference number, Full name and Phone number which they already have if only they answered my last 5 emails sent to their support address.

Is this some kind of ultimatum where the 1-star review could be deleted by Trustpilot?
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Fromager
Terrible reviews keep coming in and some of them are pretty entertaining.
Trustpilot sent me the following message:

"You were recently asked to provide Shieldpay with more information related to your review. You now have 2 days left to get back to them.
Of course, it’s still totally up to you what you share.
"

They are asking for Email, Reference number, Full name and Phone number which they already have if only they answered my last 5 emails sent to their support address.

Is this some kind of ultimatum where the 1-star review could be deleted by Trustpilot?
Are Shieldpay asking for that info or Trustpilot? If it’s Shieldpay, it could end up with retaliation. I have no worry with Trustpilot checking if yours is a legitimate review and keeping that anonymous, but if Shieldpay are asking for that, it’s a red flag. Just leave a review on Google.
imverge likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Mine was received on 3rd Sep
Old Sep 19, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by kc1174
Are Shieldpay asking for that info or Trustpilot?.
Shieldpay is asking for that info through the Trustpilot platform. Definitely not gonna share any more information with them
kc1174 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by kc1174
Just leave a review on Google.
I agree. There are already several recent 1 star reviews relating to this situation. I suggest people post a review on Google and like the fellow reviews to rank them on top.
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by imverge
I agree. There are already several recent 1 star reviews relating to this situation. I suggest people post a review on Google and like the fellow reviews to rank them on top.
Good suggestion:
Let's Recap:
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:03 am
Suspended

For anyone concerned about completing the form online or sending personal data by email, you could have a look at Sync dot com (cannot post URL)

It is end to end encrypted. I have no affiliation with the company, but have used it for a while.

As a data point, I was placed into cat 1 by PGBMM, it took about 28 days to receive funds, all together.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Originally Posted by Fromager
Shieldpay is asking for that info through the Trustpilot platform. Definitely not gonna share any more information with them
yes, ShieldPay asking for more information “This will help them write a more useful reply to you. It'll also help them verify that you’ve had a genuine experience with their business.” …..

Sorry, IMHO this is BS ! They simply want to target the person who posted the review. NONE, let me repeat NONE of their responses have been personalized.
Dover2Golf and kc1174 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum BAEC Silver
yes, ShieldPay asking for more information “This will help them write a more useful reply to you. It'll also help them verify that you’ve had a genuine experience with their business.” …..

Sorry, IMHO this is BS ! They simply want to target the person who posted the review. NONE, let me repeat NONE of their responses have been personalized.
Yeah I just got the same email..
Provide Shieldpay with more information
This will help them write a more useful reply to you.
It'll also help them verify that you’ve had a genuine experience with their business”.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond

It seems they have a dedicated team to go through and follow up the online reviews, but they are not staffed to action payments and communicate with customers...
BritBoyInFL and kc1174 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by MP001
It seems they have a dedicated team to go through and follow up the online reviews, but they are not staffed to action payments and communicate with customers...
Have any of you answered and subsequently received a follow-up message/assistance in speeding up the payment process?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:39 pm

What I think would be interesting to understand is how those who are continuing to encounter issues have (or haven't) completed the required information compared to those who have successfully received their damages.
All I'm hearing here is frustrated noise and vendetta which I agree is probably a vent, but ultimately serves nobody any real purpose or allows progression in solving the problem. Can you be absolutely certain that you've provided ALL the required information within the timeframe set out by ShieldPay? Or has something gone astray which is causing delay - be that intentional data retention or otherwise? As someone who who provided all the data needed and received the award owed to me within 3 weeks, I don't know if this was down to pure luck or because I did everything that was asked of me.
Not having a go at anyone in particular, just seems strange that many people have received theirs and yet others haven't. If that were me I'd be wanting to ensure my house was completely in check (not just making the assumption).before shouting my mouth off.... which with NDA's afoot and an unwillingness to share specifics here is potentially always going to be challenging to accomplish.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Sep 20, 2021 at 6:46 pm
Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
What I think would be interesting to understand is how those who are continuing to encounter issues have (or haven't) completed the required information compared to those who have successfully received their damages.
All I'm hearing here is frustrated noise and vendetta which I agree is probably a vent, but ultimately serves nobody any real purpose or allows progression in solving the problem. Can you be absolutely certain that you've provided ALL the required information within the timeframe set out by ShieldPay? Or has something gone astray which is causing delay - be that intentional data retention or otherwise? As someone who who provided all the data needed and received the award owed to me within 3 weeks, I don't know if this was down to pure luck or because I did everything that was asked of me.
Not having a go at anyone in particular, just seems strange that many people have received theirs and yet others haven't. If that were me I'd be wanting to ensure my house was completely in check (not just making the assumption).before shouting my mouth off.... which with NDA's afoot and an unwillingness to share specifics here is potentially always going to be challenging to accomplish.
I filled out the original form from ShieldPay the day they sent it.

Two weeks later I wrote ShieldPay, asking them to confirm receipt of the information, and requesting that they check and see that they had all they needed.

A tech support agent replied, telling me to check the FAQ. Their FAQ says they won’t answer questions, and to wait.

In their verbiage, ShieldPay promises to pay you, within 21 days of completing their checks.

They don’t make any promises about when they will start their checks. I assume my file is at the bottom of the pile, for some reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.