Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
This thread relates to SPG Law's proposed Group Proceedings against British Airways, in respect of the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the GDPR).
There is a separate thread that relates to the actual data breaches and their implications for customers, which is to be found here: BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data

The one law firm that currently seems to be persuing a Class Action against BA is SPG. They have a specific site set up at https://www.badatabreach.com/ - please make sure you check all the FAQs and terms and conditions and make sure the Class Action is right for you before you sign up.

* SPG is now PGMBM.
* Payments are being made through Shieldpay, who are seeming to be both lethargic and/or inept.
Print Wikipost

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2021, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Agree with the last 3 posters ... no help from Shieldpay at all, just an automated response and that "how did you rate the support." email. I'm sure they're busy, but I'm severely unimpressed.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by T8191
Agree with the last 3 posters ... no help from Shieldpay at all, just an automated response and that "how did you rate the support." email. I'm sure they're busy, but I'm severely unimpressed.
I had to supply a bank statement to Shieldpay. No indication as to why they wanted it or acknowledgement of receipt. Emailed them. Same automated reply. Replied to that "above the line" and got a response from a human saying all received.
Still no money though :-)
Old Sep 8, 2021, 2:36 am

Is there a list of what a category was defined as?

I know roughly 1 meant details stolen, serious problems eg cancelled card, fraudulent transactions.
And so on... But looking for the actual proper descriptions.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Is there a list of what a category was defined as?

I know roughly 1 meant details stolen, serious problems eg cancelled card, fraudulent transactions.
And so on... But looking for the actual proper descriptions.
I think this, from PGMBM, answers the question ... it seems this was finally agreed by the parties in the case.
BA responded with the following 3 categories of Claimants:
- Category 1 – Claimants whose data BA accept was accessed and obtained by the attackers;
- Category 2A – Claimants whose data BA accept was accessed by the attackers but alleges that there is no positive evidence demonstrating that the data was obtained by the attackers and where therefore BA allege that the data was not obtained; and
- Category 2B – Claimants whose data was neither obtained nor accessed by the attackers but who received the original notification from BA to say that their data might have been affected.
Aus_Mal likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum BAEC Silver
Not sure the categories mattered much in the end, and PGMBM have no appeal process if you disagree. They just ignore you.
The only place my CC was used was on BA’s site. Card was used fraudulently to buy around $4,800 of stuff. Card issuer cancelled it but I still lost just over $3,000. Sent all this info to them.
Guess what category I was thrown in? 2A.
PGMBM made out like bandits on my “claim” though, which is nice for them.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by kc1174
Not sure the categories mattered much in the end, and PGMBM have no appeal process if you disagree. They just ignore you.
The only place my CC was used was on BA’s site. Card was used fraudulently to buy around $4,800 of stuff. Card issuer cancelled it but I still lost just over $3,000. Sent all this info to them.
Guess what category I was thrown in? 2A.
PGMBM made out like bandits on my “claim” though, which is nice for them.
Which country was your CC issued in? Surely if the card was used fraudulently, you'd not be liable for the charges?
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by kc1174
Card issuer cancelled it but I still lost just over $3,000.
Please tell me you reported this to the credit card company and were subsequently reimbursed in full?
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 6:54 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by golfmad
Please tell me you reported this to the credit card company and were subsequently reimbursed in full?
Yep - was with Citibank. They reimbursed some, but promptly closed the account and dumped the rest onto me. Been going though this for a couple of years now. Messed up my credit too since it went to collections. So yeah - 2A.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Shieldpay is really slow in getting back nowadays. Previously ie last month, they’d reply within a day when you email them. Now, it’s coming to 3 days and I still haven’t received a response from my request to resend the link for me to submit my documentation. I didn’t know about the 48hour expiry limitation of the link.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 12:24 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Same boat here, received the email from shield pay on August 18th (I am category 2A), provided the bank details the same day and ... Nothing so far, but my bank account is in the Netherlands and in Euros... maybe they are paying British bank accounts first ? Their form certainly looked like it was made by a high-school intern...
oceanscape likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Same. Original email 17th Aug. Had to send a statement two weeks later. They confirmed that was enough. Payment still not made. Very slow.

Edit. Paid today.

Last edited by G-BUSI; Sep 10, 2021 at 7:05 am
Old Sep 10, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by palmanfr
Same boat here, received the email from shield pay on August 18th (I am category 2A), provided the bank details the same day and ... Nothing so far, but my bank account is in the Netherlands and in Euros... maybe they are paying British bank accounts first ? Their form certainly looked like it was made by a high-school intern...
US resident with British bank account, form filled in on Aug 17, Cat 1, no funds received as of Sep 10th.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: Accor Silver, HHonours Silver, Carlson Gold, BA Blue
Also paid today, around 6pm
Old Sep 10, 2021, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Originally Posted by Furby
US resident with British bank account, form filled in on Aug 17, Cat 1, no funds received as of Sep 10th.
SNAP … same here
Old Sep 11, 2021, 3:37 am

Just a data point, I was with PGMB and got the shield pay email asking for a bank statement. I uploaded on the day they sent said email and have received my category 2 settlement today. Nice bonus as BA dropped me off in Croatia yesterday!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.