Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA just tried to up sell me CE on the CityFlyer to LCY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA just tried to up sell me CE on the CityFlyer to LCY

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Anyway, the point here was that FR can't realistically be compared to BA CE, and regardless of my opinions on CE (which aren't high), it's certainly a better product than FR.
Except the point that you can get more legroom in Ryan Air than BA's "business class"... (With chances increasing if you check-in later).
For a domestic or short hop, legroom is everything for me. How important is that CE meal? I mean really, come on. You have literally JUST come from the lounge that has free food and drink.

But lets not split hairs.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Except the point that you can get more legroom in Ryan Air than BA's "business class"... (With chances increasing if you check-in later).
For a domestic or short hop, legroom is everything for me. How important is that CE meal? I mean really, come on. You have literally JUST come from the lounge that has free food and drink.

But lets not split hairs.
Indeed I would have just come from the lounge, and you would have just come from the lounge; but many would not.

And yes you CAN get more leg room. You can also get a middle seat down the back of the plane.

For anyone without status, that upgrade would suddenly look a lot more inviting; I'd imagine.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yes, you can get more legroom on Ryanair than in Club Europe, if you're lucky enough to get an exit seat on FR and can't get a front row in CE.

You're comparing the best seats on FR with the worst on BA, which isn't really a fair comparison.

And if legroom really is "everything" for you then you will be booking CE and grabbing seat 2C or 2D on the Embraers, which have more legroom than any seat on any Ryanair plane.

You started this thread by asking what possible reason anyone would have for flying CE between EDI and LCY. Several contributors have told you why they would pay for CE, and yet you continue to ask the question.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Misco60
Yes, you can get more legroom on Ryanair than in Club Europe, if you're lucky enough to get an exit seat on FR and can't get a front row in CE.

You're comparing the best seats on FR with the worst on BA, which isn't really a fair comparison.

And if legroom really is "everything" for you then you will be booking CE and grabbing seat 2C or 2D on the Embraers, which have more legroom than any seat on any Ryanair plane.

You started this thread by asking what possible reason anyone would have for flying CE between EDI and LCY. Several contributors have told you why they would pay for CE, and yet you continue to ask the question.
I keep asking the question? No I don't.
I'm more than happy with the answers I was given (namely, buying TP's) - Makes perfect sense.
As I am not a mod I can't "close" the thread and say job done.
I am merely adding to the further developing conversation. Why do you seem so angry?
And I'm not comparing the best seas on Ryan Air to the worst seats on BA.
I am comparing the best seats on Ryan Air vs the bulk of seats in CE. FACT: Best seats on RYA have more legroom than most CE seats. End of. Doesn't make them a better airline or experience though. (P.S. RYA has bulkhead seats too. oh and the same pitch as BA. So as far as the seats go. BA and RYA are identical.)

I'm not saying RYA and BA are equivalent. I don't like flying RYA and choose to fly BA. I prefer BA. I just thought the video was interesting, as you "could" get a close to CE experience for less than £20. That is all. it is INTERESTING. not "better than BA".

I do however think that CE is a ridiculous product. BA should really just sell TP's for £'s on BA.com and do away with the charade that is CE.
Why can't BA remove a row and give you actually more room for your money? Or indeed remove the middle seat and have 2 big seats?

Last edited by cupsandsaucers; May 21, 2018 at 8:34 am
Old May 21, 2018, 8:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I'm more than happy with the answers I was given (namely, buying TP's) - Makes perfect sense.
As noted a few times now, there are other factors which have been mentioned apart from increased TPs
Hilde likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ Misco60 - I think there are good arguments to be made on both sides, from different personal perspectives. And yes, there has perhaps been a fair amount of repetition in one way or another - as is certainly the case with so many FT threads !

That said, I’m inclined to agree with the OP in that, in all honesty, you do seem to be getting unnecessarily angry / argumentative.

Plus, there is indeed a solid, undeniable point to be made as regards the best available seats on FR (which are very readily available to anyone willing to stump up the cash, and not just status-holders of course) being better, leg-room wise, than the vast bulk of CE seats on BA. When travelling FR, I am happy to pay for such seats, with all the additional benefits they bring.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
As noted a few times now, there are other factors which have been mentioned apart from increased TPs
To those without status then yes, I agree.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:40 am

To those without status then yes, I agree.
Regardless of status there are factors which may persuade someone to pay for CE, all mentioned in the thread. I have status and I book CE.

Now you may not allocate any value to those other factors and that's a perfectly fine pov, but other people do. As I said in post 42, that doesn't mean you or I are right/wrong, just that we have different views. It is a bit misleading of all those who have bothered to comment and highlight the factors important to them to boil it down to "buying TP's" though.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
That said, I’m inclined to agree with the OP in that, in all honesty, you do seem to be getting unnecessarily angry / argumentative.
That's certainly not the intention, but the OP does seem to be ignoring the various reasons that people have given for choosing CE and just repeating reasons why he thinks Ryanair is as good as CE (and even tops it off by claiming that CE is "a ridiculous product" )
Old May 21, 2018, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Regardless of status there are factors which may persuade someone to pay for CE, all mentioned in the thread. I have status and I book CE.

Now you may not allocate any value to those other factors and that's a perfectly fine pov, but other people do. As I said in post 42, that doesn't mean you or I are right/wrong, just that we have different views. It is a bit misleading of all those who have bothered to comment and highlight the factors important to them to boil it down to "buying TP's" though.
So TP's aside.
With status. You would buy a CE seat on a LCY Embraer? I mean fair enough. It's your call. Forgive me if I smirk on the way past you to "economy". Enjoy your food. (I'll be stuffed from the lounge).
Old May 21, 2018, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Misco60
That's certainly not the intention, but the OP does seem to be ignoring the various reasons that people have given for choosing CE and just repeating reasons why he thinks Ryanair is as good as CE (and even tops it off by claiming that CE is "a ridiculous product" )
I hear the reasons. And I find most of them (for status PAX) to be somewhat ludicrous. It seems as though many have been desperately scrapped from the bottom of the barrel in an attempt to defend "their" airline.
For a silver PAX I can't see a good reason (other than TP's) to fly CE on an Embraer. (assuming golds will take the bulkhead seats [likely]). Infact, I can't see the appeal on an airbus either because I'd rather have exit room legroom than a neighbour, but I understand that others would prefer the blocked middle seat. Horses for courses.
For non status PAX I can certainly see the appeal of upgrading to CE as a treat. (fast check in, lounge, fast security etc.)
Old May 21, 2018, 8:54 am

So TP's aside.
With status. You would buy a CE seat on a LCY Embraer? I mean fair enough. It's your call. Forgive me if I smirk on the way past you to "economy". Enjoy your food. (I'll be stuffed from the lounge).
Yes I would sometimes (and have done so). If the smirking makes you feel better, go for it
Hilde likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:00 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I hear the reasons. And I find most of them (for status PAX) to be somewhat ludicrous. It seems as though many have been desperately scrapped from the bottom of the barrel in an attempt to defend "their" airline.
For a silver PAX I can't see a good reason (other than TP's) to fly CE on an Embraer. (assuming golds will take the bulkhead seats [likely]). Infact, I can't see the appeal on an airbus either because I'd rather have exit room legroom than a neighbour, but I understand that others would prefer the blocked middle seat. Horses for courses.
For non status PAX I can certainly see the appeal of upgrading to CE as a treat. (fast check in, lounge, fast security etc.)
I do wish that people would stop degrading peoples' opinions in this negative and unproductive dismissive way. And scraped only has one P.

Your view differs from many people's, we get it. No need t dismiss their opinions in the way you have is there?
Old May 21, 2018, 9:02 am

Forgive me if I smirk on the way past you to "economy". Enjoy your food. (I'll be stuffed from the lounge).
I am not a CE lover, far from it in fact (you'll find me in an ET exit row when travelling BA). However, I do think you should show some of our fellow posters some respect in their purchasing decisions. You have been given plenty of reasons why some people feel the need to spend money on CE as it meets their needs. This thread is becoming somewhat circular.

If anything, you should be thankful that they are subsidising lower fares behind the curtain (in some cases).
Old May 21, 2018, 9:04 am

Location: Almost exactly equally distant from LCY, LGW and LHR.
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Outside of just buying TP's, I've bought LCY CE for three reasons.

1.) I needed to bring a really silly number of bags. This happened when I was relocating a lot of stuff from my parents house to my house.
2.) The CE tickets were cheaper or almost the same price. I've got a flight from EDI -> LCY on which I paid about £5 extra for CE. I consider that to be good value. I think as a gold without a TP target to rehit I'd personally value CE just for CE's sake at about £10 on a (short) LCY route.
3.) The most strange reason. I had two very tightly timed events, one in Glasgow and one near Canary Wharf. Honestly, paying to be that little bit further forward and so out the plane first was actually worth it !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.