Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA just tried to up sell me CE on the CityFlyer to LCY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA just tried to up sell me CE on the CityFlyer to LCY

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 9:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
How many business travelers are taking 32 KILOS of luggage to and from LCY? (As LCY serves mostly business PAX).
Until recently we didn't need the choice. Because BA fed all her PAX.
I'm HBO so yes, that one is wasted on me. But it's a package - some items make sense or not, but you can work out if the package works for you, and go on a Basic fare if you prefer. It's a bit like complaining that Tesco sell Heinz baked beans when the Everyday Value tins are so much cheaper. And yes I do get - and enjoy - the better front row seats, usually with the TS block, so how do you think I got the Tier Points for that?
Old May 16, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
What POSSIBLE reason would someone with status (therefore lounge food access) have for upgrading to CE on a EDI - LCY flight?
For me it was the TP, as suggested by others. It's usually a bit of a rush in and out of the lounge for me, so although I can't recall if they had it on EDI-LCY (they obviously do on -LHR) a thimble of bubbles and more substantial snack is a welcome addition at the end of the week as well.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
What POSSIBLE reason would someone with status (therefore lounge food access) have for upgrading to CE on a EDI - LCY flight?
I've personally paid for CE for an EDI-LCY in Y before. Didn't need the TPs, but did need the flexibility, and the cheapest CE was only about £30 more than the cheapest inflexible Y, AND it allowed me to move to an earlier flight, which was important for me that particular day.

Sure enough, I was able to rock up to EDI check in a couple of hours early, and it literally took the agent seconds to move me to an earlier flight.

Personally I didn't think it was worth paying more than twice the price for the cheapest flexible Y ticket, in order to get half the tier points, a seat in the middle of the plane, and a biscuit instead of hot breakfast, but, you know, YMMV...
Old May 16, 2018, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So I am well versed with BA trying to charge me to move from my exit row seat to one with less legroom in CE. But yes, in fairness you are guaranteed no one sitting right next to you. Many will like that. OK.

But this takes the biscuit. On the BA app, its asking me if I would like to upgrade to CE on the Embraer E-170.
They say (and I quote) "Guaranteed window or aisle seat". Well no **** Sherlock. The whole bird is a 2-2 layout!!
Don't forget that BA is in the business of making money and not all their customers are as knowledgeable about their products as many Flyertalkers are.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well for starters there are no exit row seats on E170, so in fact row 1 is probably the best / most spacious set of seats, and that's usually in CE. The other reasons, apart from TPs, Avios, the salad meal, additional service levels, extra baggage allowance, lounge access + Fast Track for those without status and what not would be last on, first off (though with a twist at the LCY end). Theoretical Seating usually gets you the empty seat since the logic is applied to all E170 and E190 seats in CE, but that won't help you if the flight is full. On the other hand it's a very short flight, and those in the rear of the aircraft also get a fast exit at LCY - and usually plenty of cabin baggage space. Both Embraer series are quite comfortable, and you certainly won't suffer in ET, which does get a biscuit and drink gratis. It's not compulsory, so you don't need to feel bad about not booking CE. Personally I like the CE concept but it's not for everyone.
What did the Romans ever do for us?
Old May 16, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also like having more than one cup of tea per flight
Does BACF now ration drinks in Y? I have not had any recent flights with them but I have never had an issue about getting another drink and ditto on mainline BA pre-BoB days so one would not need to be in CE to have "more than one cup of tea per flight".
Old May 16, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Both Embraer series are quite comfortable
I would disagree on that. The E190 is by far the best short haul experience BA offers (assuming the other seat stays empty or is occupied by someone you don't mind rubbing shoulders with). The E170 on the other hand is a knee crashing nuisance...
KeaneJohn and memesweeper like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
It's A: False advertising RE window or Aisle seat.
Why is it false advertising? Is BA boarding up the front windows on the E-jets?

B: Incredibly bad value.
Maybe a Blue values the additional perks (more checked bags, lounge access, fast track, etc.) The fact that it is an unattractive offer for you is immaterial if another passengers consider the £70 a great offer.
HIDDY and Lucanesque like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
I'm HBO so yes, that one is wasted on me. But it's a package - some items make sense or not, but you can work out if the package works for you, and go on a Basic fare if you prefer. It's a bit like complaining that Tesco sell Heinz baked beans when the Everyday Value tins are so much cheaper. And yes I do get - and enjoy - the better front row seats, usually with the TS block, so how do you think I got the Tier Points for that?
I think we are making different points here. You are saying that it is a CHOICE. and of course you are not forced to use CE.
My issue is. We used to get these things as part of EVERY fare. This was then taken away from us and given back to us as a chargeable "choice".
Old May 16, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
My issue is. We used to get these things as part of EVERY fare. This was then taken away from us and given back to us as a chargeable "choice".
When was lounge access, Club-level Avios and TPs, 32 kg bags and champagne included as part of EVERY short-haul fare?
Old May 16, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Am I the only person here that finds a weird value in the extra perceived exclusivity of an upgrade?

Rationally you should never fly CE if you have Silver or Gold status for the product, but it is quite nice when you do!
EsherFlyer and mikeyfly like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:05 pm

I feel your pain. The cupboard under my sink is almost depleted of plastic bags...
HIDDY, mikeyfly and Lucanesque like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Why is it false advertising?
It would not be false advertising but rather misleading advertising, in that it suggests that it is a benefit of flying CE that you do not get in Y whereas you also get this in Y too when flying with BACF.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Can we just pin a thread about reasons why people might upgrade to CE, to save people have to post "Why do people upgrade to CE" posts.
BorisBrownBear likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by NickB
Does BACF now ration drinks in Y? I have not had any recent flights with them but I have never had an issue about getting another drink and ditto on mainline BA pre-BoB days so one would not need to be in CE to have "more than one cup of tea per flight".
Formally no, I'm sure you can get a second sub 150 ml slosh of tea, but the way it works on EDI-LCY is that the operating time is about 45 minutes or so. There are 2 cabin crew, the senior crew member will typically look after the CE passengers until they are done, and then if time / demand permits move to ET. On that sector it's probably the last 20 minutes or less of the flight if breakfast, maybe a bit more if mid afternoon. By this stage the ET trolley is usually about half way down the ET cabin, maybe a bit more. So as you can see the rear of ET - usually less busy - tends to be served rather late and it's very difficult to get a second tea at that point. Rationing is more by dint of the time remaining, more than anything else. What you can do, quite easily, is ask for (e.g.) a tea and a sparkling water at the first stage, and so you can get towards 300ml of fluid that way. But in practical terms you would not easily get 2 cups of tea one after the other. Very occasionally - on an E190 on that route, the last few passengers will only be allowed a quick cold drink since the flight crew may have called on descent. I doubt it happens on E170.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.