Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA just tried to up sell me CE on the CityFlyer to LCY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA just tried to up sell me CE on the CityFlyer to LCY

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
... Very occasionally - on an E190 on that route, the last few passengers will only be allowed a quick cold drink since the flight crew may have called on descent. I doubt it happens on E170.
It always amazes me when I fly AA’s shuttle between LGA and DCA, where the inflight time is about 30mins, the crew in economy manage 2 drinks rounds – it’s not particularly personal service and you may get your drink essentially thrown at you, but at least you get your money’s worth from the bar! I should add the caveat that the last couple of time I have done this, they prioritised asking if you would like a hot drink on the first round and then they were able to come back without the trolley on the second round (and continue serving into the descent). So it can be done but does feel rushed.

Also worth noting that AA uses E-175s on this service with a proper first seat (3-across) but as has been said, the economics just don’t work in the European short haul market. I should say that I quite enjoy CE and find that I can find decent value in it.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by andimilk
It always amazes me when I fly AA’s shuttle between LGA and DCA, where the inflight time is about 30mins, the crew in economy manage 2 drinks rounds – it’s not particularly personal service and you may get your drink essentially thrown at you, but at least you get your money’s worth from the bar! I should add the caveat that the last couple of time I have done this, they prioritised asking if you would like a hot drink on the first round and then they were able to come back without the trolley on the second round (and continue serving into the descent). So it can be done but does feel rushed.

Also worth noting that AA uses E-175s on this service with a proper first seat (3-across) but as has been said, the economics just don’t work in the European short haul market. I should say that I quite enjoy CE and find that I can find decent value in it.
I hear you.

But in BA's defense. I would rather be served 1 drink at a relaxed pace by a professional BA crew remember than have 2 drink thrown at me by an American
Old May 17, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
I hear you.

But in BA's defense. I would rather be served 1 drink at a relaxed pace by a professional BA crew remember than have 2 drink thrown at me by an American
Er, um, yes, I hear what you say. I would never be brave enough to make such a novel comment.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I'm HBO so yes, that one is wasted on me. But it's a package - some items make sense or not, but you can work out if the package works for you, and go on a Basic fare if you prefer. It's a bit like complaining that Tesco sell Heinz baked beans when the Everyday Value tins are so much cheaper. And yes I do get - and enjoy - the better front row seats, usually with the TS block, so how do you think I got the Tier Points for that?
I have just booked a work CE fare ex LCY to Scotland because CE was cheaper than an economy-with-checked-bag (think it's called plus now) fare. now i partially think that was driven by the corporate travel booking portal being ....e because BA.com gave me cheaper 'plus' fares and partially also due to corporate fares on that route.

in short, whilst a lot of your points are valid (though you seem to be very emotionally vested in the theory that it must therefore be bad / wrong for everyone), i have just booked a CE fare because it's the better deal for me given I need a bag on this (work) trip.
PETER01 likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chris1979
I have just booked a work CE fare ex LCY to Scotland because CE was cheaper than an economy-with-checked-bag (think it's called plus now) fare. now i partially think that was driven by the corporate travel booking portal being ....e because BA.com gave me cheaper 'plus' fares and partially also due to corporate fares on that route.

in short, whilst a lot of your points are valid (though you seem to be very emotionally vested in the theory that it must therefore be bad / wrong for everyone), i have just booked a CE fare because it's the better deal for me given I need a bag on this (work) trip.
to be fair it's very difficult to imagine you behind the wing darling
rapidex likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Just thought I would give my booking a check on the cost of upgrading:
AMS-LHR-MAN one-way = Eur228
Upgrade the AMS-LHR only sector = Eur288
Upgrade the MAN-only sector = Eur528
Sadly for BA these fares will not tease me into opening my wallet. Primarily but not entirely for the illogical pricing.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Someone will come on to explain that there are complex algorithms and revenue calculations at work here, based on demand and load factors for the respective sectors.

Whereas, in reality, the figures you quote are dreamt up by the 10 year-old son of one of BA’s pricing managers, whilst doing his maths homework 😊
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
Whereas, in reality, the figures you quote are dreamt up by the 10 year-old son of one of BA’s pricing managers, whilst doing his maths homework
Well, I hope he's had an increase in his pocket money; with 22 CE passengers on my LCY-TXL flight last night, he's clearly doing something right.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
Well, I hope he's had an increase in his pocket money; with 22 CE passengers on my LCY-TXL flight last night, he's clearly doing something right.
Would be fascinating to know how many of the 22 paid €528 for an upgrade - as per the unbeatable offer made to CHCflyer just above (and yet, surprisingly, rejected ....)

Old May 18, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
People will know I am a critic of "regular" CE, but this just takes the biscuit. What POSSIBLE reason would someone with status (therefore lounge food access) have for upgrading to CE on a EDI - LCY flight? Who buys these tickets!?!
I am in no doubt that Club Europe, even on LCY Embraer services, is almost always a better experience than Euro Traveller. The difference may be marginal, and difficult to quantify, but it is real. The sense of exclusivity, the more relaxed atmosphere, the more personal and more attentive service, the catering, the interaction with the crew, being first off the plane... they add up to something tangible.

Whether it's worth paying more for those benefits - and, if so, how much more - is a purely personal decision. I rarely do so. However, about once every six weeks or so I do choose to travel in CE, simply because the additional TPs over the course of a year will push me over the Gold threshold without having to spend time and money on TP runs (which are time-consuming, tiring and, of course, always cost a great deal more than the fare alone).
subject2load likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 2:38 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I’m doing my first ever GLA-LCY on BA in CE in a couple of days. These are RFS flights as it was the only availability for the date and timings that I needed. Not great use of Avios but as already said, was the only availability for timings and still much cheaper than paying cash for an ET flight.

Am am looking forward to the experience as there are a few firsts for me.

* About 20 years since I’ve flown to/from LCY
* Never been on an E190
* True HBO for a business trip
* Not having the luxury of a lounge (LCY) even in J & with status 😬
* Not giving myself more than 2 hours to be back at the airport before return flight 🤨

Am quite looking forward to it for some reason, maybe because it will be different from my usual BA interactions. It’s also been a number of years since I’ve had to navigate my way around London. I don’t think I will be a BACF convert as it’s not really of any use to me with my normal routings but will be a change from the norm.

Have got 2D for both flights and TS has now kicked in so currently have an empty seat next to me although I’m not expecting that to stick on either of these flights. Reading through some of the other LCY & E190 threads, this seems to be one of the most favourite seats. Have I chosen well? Are there still the two odd aircraft with different seat plans to the majority of the E190 fleet (row 1 CD)?

And what will be for breakfast in CE?
Thanks all 😬S
Old May 20, 2018, 3:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Have got 2D for both flights and TS has now kicked in so currently have an empty seat next to me although I’m not expecting that to stick on either of these flights. Reading through some of the other LCY & E190 threads, this seems to be one of the most favourite seats. Have I chosen well? Are there still the two odd aircraft with different seat plans to the majority of the E190 fleet (row 1 CD)?

And what will be for breakfast in CE?
2D is a splendid seat, but so is 2C and at some point another Goldie may well be tempted by moving in on it. It's a 50/50 in my view, but Mondays and Thursdays you're more likely to lose 2C since the flights will be quite busy. Very similar and very good hot breakfast to CE, you won't be left hungry. Now, be a devil and turn up at GLA / LCY with an hour or less before departure. And use the saved 2 hours (probably 3 in your case) for something more productive. For LCY you really should not arrive too early, just head to the boarding gate about 18 minutes before departure.
Saltire74 likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:41 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

2D is a splendid seat, but so is 2C and at some point another Goldie may well be tempted by moving in on it. It's a 50/50 in my view, but Mondays and Thursdays you're more likely to lose 2C since the flights will be quite busy. Very similar and very good hot breakfast to CE, you won't be left hungry. Now, be a devil and turn up at GLA / LCY with an hour or less before departure. And use the saved 2 hours (probably 3 in your case) for something more productive. For LCY you really should not arrive too early, just head to the boarding gate about 18 minutes before departure.
Thanks C-W-S. I will try my best but current plan for airport arrival is less than 2 hours before departure and return so I’m already flying too near the sun at the moment for me

​​​​​​​S
Old May 20, 2018, 6:10 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by subject2load
I often have a wry smile to myself about these circular debate CE threads when travelling in parts of the world where a short-haul business class fare does actually provide .... er ....... a proper business class seat (one still worthy of the term), along with high quality onboard catering & service to match.

Within Asia and Australia there is of course the option of a full biz product - if wished - when flying short-haul routes. Australia specifically can, however, prove prohibitively expensive (for anyone not living on generous expense accounts) ; but that isn’t an issue for me because I generally incorporate my longer J class Oz domestics within my main long-haul ticket, thereby reducing the per-sector cost dramatically (if the latter is not possible, then I will sometimes use points for redemption flights). In Asia, there is little need to worry about this, simply because J class flights (again, in a proper J cabin) are readily available at prices which are often much lower than equivalent distances within Europe.

BA are certainly far from alone in offering no more than a low-grade ‘business class’ onboard product for European short-haul. It’s just a pity that the market dynamics are such that we no longer at least have the option (admittedly not everyone would want to pay) of a proper premium seat & product. There was a time when the likes of Swissair even used to offer First Class on intra-Europe sectors (I do believe they were the very last to ditch it), but I understand and accept that those days are (probably ?) gone for ever within our changed world - a world which, let’s not forget, offers far easier access to air travel than in past generations.
Just to show how even handed I am

I did a fair bit of travelling on QF in Y recently. Domestically, they supplied a biscuit and a drink.

On the 3 hour flight from SYD to CHC (Christchurch) and ZQN (Queenstown) to SYD, the food was better in Y than I some meals I have had in CE. That return, including a feeder flight from the Gold Coast cost me around £300. Not cheap cheap and reduced price as I only got 5 TP for each sector, But for a trip that was not a standard return, it's not too bad, plus on the NZ ex and to, I grabbed row 4 right behind business class which meant I had better legroom than the exit row and it didn't cost me anything above my ticket price due to Emerald status ^
Old May 21, 2018, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Just watched a very interesting video on YouTube in which the premise was how to get a better than CE experience for £1.99 on Ryanair. Was interesting.

Long story short...

Flight =1.99
Lounge access covered by credit card (free)
If you don't pick your seat on Ryanair you often get given an exit row last minute, so that's more legroom than CE (free)
Take food from lounge to eat on board.
Speedy boarding? Just board last or nearly last (no queue).

I mean. Yes I know there is more to it than that. But it was interesting to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.