Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA just tried to up sell me CE on the CityFlyer to LCY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA just tried to up sell me CE on the CityFlyer to LCY

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
[QUOTE

I'd pay £70 for the extra 35TPs, if needed, however, even with the knowledge of zero additional benefit to the seat itself.[/QUOTE]

£2 per TP is not bad especially as it makes a low demand on time traveling for them, While sub £1/TP is still possible sometimes the associated costs (hotels, travel to start point etc) make the economics questionable when only a few TP are required for an effect (GUF, next Tier).
Old May 16, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I am a CE fan in the main but even I draw the line at CE on an E190.

I was recently com8ng back from Zurich and plonked myself in row 22 hoping to have an empty seat next to me.

The CE cabin was quite full and after take off both flight attendants were there for a while. They didn’t get to the back until around Paris and we were across the English Channel when I got my gin. I asked for 2and this was duly given. No hardship and a bit of circling meant I didn’t have to choke on it.

Im actually coming back from Malaga later this year and CE was only £32 more than ET. It will be my second flight of my new membership year so TP definitely needed have opted for 6D and the cabin appears to be empty and someone has gone and put themselves in 6C... I know an empty seat next to me isn’t a god given right but I am intreagued to find out who would put themselves next to someone on an empty cabin 5months out.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by UKTony
[QUOTE

I'd pay £70 for the extra 35TPs, if needed, however, even with the knowledge of zero additional benefit to the seat itself.
£2 per TP is not bad especially as it makes a low demand on time traveling for them, While sub £1/TP is still possible sometimes the associated costs (hotels, travel to start point etc) make the economics questionable when only a few TP are required for an effect (GUF, next Tier).[/QUOTE]

And especially since you are already flying, rather than needing to take another pair of flights for extra TP. CE is a great way to tier point optimize rather than tier point run.
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by UKTony

£2 per TP is not bad especially as it makes a low demand on time traveling for them, While sub £1/TP is still possible sometimes the associated costs (hotels, travel to start point etc) make the economics questionable when only a few TP are required for an effect (GUF, next Tier).
And if you deduct the value of extra Avios plus the tax offset if it is a business trip then you can get that £1/TP without any extra time away from home, ancillary costs, etc.

The half-prawn salad is then the icing on the cake in a CE menu fusion fashion.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:47 pm

Sounds like CE is the optimal choice for err I guess everyone who isn't actually footing the bill for the 'fun'.
Old May 16, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
I've bought LCY<->ZRH in CE on occasion for food and TP, but also because
  • when the flight gets cancelled (normally fog at LCY inbound or anything that causes more than a 30 min delay outbound making one miss the 11pm ZRH curfew) you get rerouted with higher priority - happened twice in 6 months
  • every LCY<->ZRH flight appears to ask for 'volunteers' to check wheeled luggage - 'I'm in CE' avoids this.
  • If you book e.g. ZRH<->NYC in CW via the BA interface with an overnight stop off in London and do the ZRH<->LON portion from LCY, it's practically impossible to do anything but book CE (just as if you are in WTP transatlantic it's impossible to book anything but economy)
  • I've seen the price difference as low as £40
I used to fly LCY<->EDI a lot (i.e. a return every other week for 5 years) and at that point there was no CE. IE I could get 1A on economy, unless there were load placement issues. When did that change?
Old May 16, 2018, 11:07 pm

I did exactly this and would do again. Company booked HBO fare + extra £25 for a checked baggage later (travelling for business yes, but from asia. ~20kg checked bag)

My MMB upgrade offer was £65 leading to 35 extra TPs at £1.86. Saved the company £25 as well
Old May 17, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I often have a wry smile to myself about these circular debate CE threads when travelling in parts of the world where a short-haul business class fare does actually provide .... er ....... a proper business class seat (one still worthy of the term), along with high quality onboard catering & service to match.

Within Asia and Australia there is of course the option of a full biz product - if wished - when flying short-haul routes. Australia specifically can, however, prove prohibitively expensive (for anyone not living on generous expense accounts) ; but that isn’t an issue for me because I generally incorporate my longer J class Oz domestics within my main long-haul ticket, thereby reducing the per-sector cost dramatically (if the latter is not possible, then I will sometimes use points for redemption flights). In Asia, there is little need to worry about this, simply because J class flights (again, in a proper J cabin) are readily available at prices which are often much lower than equivalent distances within Europe.

BA are certainly far from alone in offering no more than a low-grade ‘business class’ onboard product for European short-haul. It’s just a pity that the market dynamics are such that we no longer at least have the option (admittedly not everyone would want to pay) of a proper premium seat & product. There was a time when the likes of Swissair even used to offer First Class on intra-Europe sectors (I do believe they were the very last to ditch it), but I understand and accept that those days are (probably ?) gone for ever within our changed world - a world which, let’s not forget, offers far easier access to air travel than in past generations.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by subject2load
these circular debate CE threads
[big snip]
a world which, let’s not forget, offers far easier access to air travel than in past generations.
I pretty much agree with that post, illustrating the competing pressures here. The specific aspects I would highlight are customer expectations on fares (lower) versus expectations of service (could be higher e.g. lounges, but in some cases "cheap will do"); salaries and pensions of airline staff in the West compared to elsewhere; better knowledge on fares (less of the travel agent filtering fare information), and above all the pressures from Low Cost Carriers. None of this bodes well for maintaining First of Business class on shorthaul on Legacy Carriers. Introducing CE on Domestics (for all its faults) was one of the few examples against the trend to single cabin travel, but of course that was done in the context of service reductions in EuroTraveller. Except, as it happens, for BACF.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Well I for one have very much enjoyed the introduction of CE on domestics, as the extra TP's have allowed me to easily hit Gold, whereas previously I never got above Silver. As CWS mentioned, 1A is the prime seat on the E170, and 2D is on an E190, so if you want to sit in them then it has to be CE (unless you are on a Barrhead Travel charter!). Granted most of my travel is to LHR or LGW, but I do like the Embraers so tend to have the occasional inbound hop to LCY to add a bit of variety to my travel patterns. Due to the lack of lounge I opt to return from LHR or LGW though.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
OK. So I mean fair enough.
What is very clear is that most people simply use CE (particularly pax with status or on LCY flights) to buy TPs.

Now I don't think BA would admit that they are, essentially selling status. (but it is clear they are as a few on here have even calculated the value of each TP per £.)

​​​

If I was shy of a few TP then yeah I would probably upgrade to CE. Otherwise no chance.

Old May 17, 2018, 2:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think the are other reasons to fly in CE apart from points. About 50-60% of my domestic and short haul travel is CE. It is all self funded. The reasons I have are already noted by a few others up thread so I won't repeat them. It is not just about TPs for me, that's one of many factors.

At the end of the day if you don't believe it offers you anything of value then don't feel in any way obliged to book or upgrade to CE. We all have different views on these things, it certainly doesn't mean there is a right or wrong answer. Just book what you want and enjoy the cabin you book
Old May 17, 2018, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
What is very clear is that most people simply use CE (particularly pax with status or on LCY flights) to buy TPs.​
I don't. I'm Gold and in CE on more than 50% of my LCY flights. There are different reasons for different flights, but so far none of them have included doing it to buy TPs.

As others have said, don't extrapolate your travelling and purchasing priorities onto other people.
Hilde likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
What is very clear is that most people simply use CE (particularly pax with status or on LCY flights) to buy TPs.
How is it clear, do you have some stats that back it up?
Old May 17, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Now I don't think BA would admit that they are, essentially selling status.
Well actually....they do freely admit that is one element of the package. From https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ss/club-europe the listed benefits are (bolding mine)
  • access to comfortable departures lounges*
  • be one of the first on board with priority boarding
  • more personal space on board to work or relax
  • complimentary food and drink service
  • dedicated check-in desks* and priority boarding
  • larger baggage allowance than Euro Traveller
  • collect more Avios and Tier Points
But as corporate-wage-slave has so eloquently said - it's a whole package and for any given individual in a given scenario some elements will make sense, while some likely won't. Some will care about TPs (and to varying degrees) while others won't.

Rather than try to second guess what each traveler might value, it is just much easier to make the offer and let the passenger decide on the value or otherwise it offers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.