Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA just tried to up sell me CE on the CityFlyer to LCY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs

So I am well versed with BA trying to charge me to move from my exit row seat to one with less legroom in CE. But yes, in fairness you are guaranteed no one sitting right next to you. Many will like that. OK.

But this takes the biscuit. On the BA app, its asking me if I would like to upgrade to CE on the Embraer E-170.
They say (and I quote) "Guaranteed window or aisle seat". Well no **** Sherlock. The whole bird is a 2-2 layout!

Seriously though. People will know I am a critic of "regular" CE, but this just takes the biscuit. What POSSIBLE reason would someone with status (therefore lounge food access) have for upgrading to CE on a EDI - LCY flight? Especially as I have booked the exit rows already for this flight. They are literally asking me to pay extra to have less legroom, and food I wont want/need. Who buys these tickets!?!
Old May 16, 2018, 9:25 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Who buys these tickets!?!
People who can expense the cost.
People who are desperate for the 'enhanced' food and drink
People who want the extra TPs
Old May 16, 2018, 9:25 am
Suspended

Someone who wants more food on board, TPs and Avios.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Tier points are the main driver I suspect.
I2sky likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Is there an exit row on the E-170?
Old May 16, 2018, 9:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well for starters there are no exit row seats on E170, so in fact row 1 is probably the best / most spacious set of seats, and that's usually in CE. The other reasons, apart from TPs, Avios, the salad meal, additional service levels, extra baggage allowance, lounge access + Fast Track for those without status and what not would be last on, first off (though with a twist at the LCY end). Theoretical Seating usually gets you the empty seat since the logic is applied to all E170 and E190 seats in CE, but that won't help you if the flight is full. On the other hand it's a very short flight, and those in the rear of the aircraft also get a fast exit at LCY - and usually plenty of cabin baggage space. Both Embraer series are quite comfortable, and you certainly won't suffer in ET, which does get a biscuit and drink gratis. It's not compulsory, so you don't need to feel bad about not booking CE. Personally I like the CE concept but it's not for everyone.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etiene
Is there an exit row on the E-170?
Sorry, no. My bad. I was thinking that I had decent legroom anyway on this bird. but that is just because it actually has decent legroom.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mike P
Tier points are the main driver I suspect.
So basically BA are just "selling" TP's then?
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Personally I like the CE concept but it's not for everyone.
You hand on heart can say that CE (particuarily in this case) Is of good value?
If you add status into the mix then the single only real benefit is that you will pay £70 for a salad and glass of fizz. (That you had access to for free not 5 minutes ago in the lounge)
The additional Avios is trivial and comes nowhere near the additional cost/value.
Also - Row 1. Well if you arent gold then it is very unlikely you will get that.

Bonkers.
simonrp84 likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Unfortunately this appears to be another case of “Well I don’t use it so why are BA selling that!”
As already posted, TP’s are a big driver - if I need some and am offered POUG at a reasonable price then I’ll take it. If I don’t, then I won’t.Not really sure this needs a thread
holloway1000 likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:39 am

Are you paying for the I'm-at-the-front feeling?
Old May 16, 2018, 9:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You hand on heart can say that CE (particuarily in this case) Is of good value?
If you add status into the mix then the single only real benefit is that you will pay £70 for a salad and glass of fizz.

Bonkers.
Yes, since I like the extra seat space on E170 and E190s in particular in the front row (2C and 2D on E190s). On longer flights the BACF hot meals are reasonably good, and at least in theory I would have an extra 32 kgs of luggage checked in. I also like having more than one cup of tea per flight, ideally not served in a 150ml paper cup. All for a fairly modest fare uplift (generally below £60 on that particular route). Furthermore, and this is the strongest argument, SDC allows me to change and on the EDI service the ET cabin is often filled up, whereas normally CE will have the space for an SDC change on the night, perhaps an unintended consequence of Theoretical Seating.

Clearly it isn't worth it for you, equally I find it odd how some people spend vast sums of money on shoes / brand label clothing / handbags that cost hundreds of pounds plus / cars / nights out on the town / public school fees for the kids. Are they bonkers? I don't think I'm quite that judgemental. Luckily we now have the choice - until quite recently we didn't.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Unfortunately this appears to be another case of “Well I don’t use it so why are BA selling that!”
No. No its not.

It's A: False advertising RE window or Aisle seat.
B: Incredibly bad value.
C: £70 for a meal that recently was free.

I suppose if it makes people feel important to sit nearer the front with a "I've got more money to burn than you" then so be it.

A fool and his money are soon parted.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, since I like the extra seat space on E170 and E190s in particular in the front row (2C and 2D on E190s). On longer flights the BACF hot meals are reasonably good, and at least in theory I would have an extra 32 kgs of luggage checked in. I also like having more than one cup of tea per flight, ideally not served in a 150ml paper cup. All for a fairly modest fare uplift (generally below £60 on that particular route). Furthermore, and this is the strongest argument, SDC allows me to change and on the EDI service the ET cabin is often filled up, whereas normally CE will have the space for an SDC change on the night, perhaps an unintended consequence of Theoretical Seating.

Clearly it isn't worth it for you, equally I find it odd how some people spend vast sums of money on shoes / brand label clothing / handbags that cost hundreds of pounds plus / cars / nights out on the town / public school fees for the kids. Are they bonkers? I don't think I'm quite that judgemental. Luckily we now have the choice - until quite recently we didn't.
How many business travelers are taking 32 KILOS of luggage to and from LCY? (As LCY serves mostly business PAX).
Until recently we didn't need the choice. Because BA fed all her PAX.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: BA GGL
No. No its not.
£70 for a meal that recently was free.
You get food and drinks on all CityFlyer routes at present, whichever cabin. Sure, it's probably just a packet of crisps or a croissant, but better than BA's other zeroed product. Back from Ibiza last week I managed two beers at zero cost.

I'd pay £70 for the extra 35TPs, if needed, however, even with the knowledge of zero additional benefit to the seat itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.