Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA just tried to up sell me CE on the CityFlyer to LCY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA just tried to up sell me CE on the CityFlyer to LCY

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 1:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Flight =1.99
Lounge access covered by credit card (free)
If you don't pick your seat on Ryanair you often get given an exit row last minute, so that's more legroom than CE (free)
Take food from lounge to eat on board.
Speedy boarding? Just board last or nearly last (no queue).
I guess this video is a few years old. The days of £2 flights on Ryanair are long over, their bargain flights from the UK at any rate now start at £20 one way. They also have changed the seating algorithm several times now, to ensure that people pay for seating, and to prevent gaming for good seats. Whereas families used to be able to get away with it, now they pretty much have to pay for seat selection. Something the CAA is investigating at the moment. You can get a really good deal on Ryanair as a single traveller if you decline all the extras but you can assume to be in a middle seat with limited leg room and one small bag in the cabin. And Ryanair don't have many services out of LCY. So personally this is an apples and pears analogy.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I guess this video is a few years old. The days of £2 flights on Ryanair are long over, their bargain flights from the UK at any rate now start at £20 one way. They also have changed the seating algorithm several times now, to ensure that people pay for seating, and to prevent gaming for good seats. Whereas families used to be able to get away with it, now they pretty much have to pay for seat selection. Something the CAA is investigating at the moment. You can get a really good deal on Ryanair as a single traveller if you decline all the extras but you can assume to be in a middle seat with limited leg room and one small bag in the cabin. And Ryanair don't have many services out of LCY. So personally this is an apples and pears analogy.
Just uploaded the other day.
I'm not saying people should be doing that. To me it certainly worth paying the extra to fly with BA than RYA. even in ET. Just thought it was interesting that students and the like "could" get a half decent experience on RYA if they played it right. Just interesting.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just watched a very interesting video on YouTube in which the premise was how to get a better than CE experience for £1.99 on Ryanair. Was interesting.

Long story short...

Flight =1.99
Lounge access covered by credit card (free)
If you don't pick your seat on Ryanair you often get given an exit row last minute, so that's more legroom than CE (free)
Take food from lounge to eat on board.
Speedy boarding? Just board last or nearly last (no queue).

I mean. Yes I know there is more to it than that. But it was interesting to see.
If that works for you, fine - fly with Ryanair. There's nothing to stop you doing so, and no-one's going to criticise you for it. But please don't claim that a Ryanair flight is a "better than CE experience"; it's not, at any price.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by Misco60
If that works for you, fine - fly with Ryanair. There's nothing to stop you doing so, and no-one's going to criticise you for it. But please don't claim that a Ryanair flight is a "better than CE experience"; it's not, at any price.
Em, I didn't make the video. Nor did I agree with the title.
I said it was "interesting".
Old May 21, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Just to show how even handed I am

I did a fair bit of travelling on QF in Y recently. Domestically, they supplied a biscuit and a drink.

On the 3 hour flight from SYD to CHC (Christchurch) and ZQN (Queenstown) to SYD, the food was better in Y than I some meals I have had in CE. That return, including a feeder flight from the Gold Coast cost me around £300. Not cheap cheap and reduced price as I only got 5 TP for each sector, But for a trip that was not a standard return, it's not too bad, plus on the NZ ex and to, I grabbed row 4 right behind business class which meant I had better legroom than the exit row and it didn't cost me anything above my ticket price due to Emerald status ^
Good to hear your experiences.

Have done a good bit of domestic travel myself with QF over the years.

In fact, just last month, I did a broad mix of sectors, some in J (the longest ones, coast-to-coast), and others in Y.

I imagine that when you refer to a free ‘biscuit and a drink’ you’re talking about the very short hops such as MEL-SYD. Although ..... even on those, I find that CC are very happy to offer a hot drink and a drink of water too, and (if you’re nice to them), you can often snag a little packet of nuts / snackie things, in addition to the biscuit. Not bad at all.

The more substantial offering you describe for Y travel on QF trans-Tasman is in fact available - also in Y - on the longer domestic sectors. I went up to Alice Springs from Sydney (around 3 hours) and was glad to get a trio of dim-sum ‘parcels’, each with different fillings. They were surprisingly good. On the return sector, IIRC, we were provided with a tasty meat pie instead.

As for QF domestic in biz class, the food offerings are - IMHO - satisfactory, but not exactly award-winning. In some cases, they are not much better than a typical CE meal on BA. But of course the seat itself IS noticeably better.

Old May 21, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
So basically BA are just "selling" TP's then?
As has been mentioned, this is the reason.

There was a time people were happy to pay up to £3 per TP. These days that figure is generally lower unless you're really a bind, but there's a whole thread dedicated to TP runs.

If I was coming to the end of my membership year and was on 3470 TPs, I'd pay the £70 to trigger my 2 x GUF1 vouchers, for example. So I'm more than happy to bite at this kind of price point on occasion.

I have a friend who pays £2000 a year to be part of a 'private members club'. I would never do this because personally I'd get no value from it; but that doesn't mean I'm going to chastise him for being a member - it obviously works for his circumstances.

Live and let live, etc. etc.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The premise of the video is highly problematic but your post is not 100% accurate either. There still are Ryanair fares for less than £20. I have recently seen fares of £11.99 and £15.49, for instance. While not £1.99, there are still a tiny fraction of the lowest BA economy fares, let alone BA CE fares. FR have indeed changed the seating algorithm, making the allocation now unpredictable and also resulting in the possibility of splitting groups of passengers (although, typically, this will mean the row just before or after). OTOH, it still is the case that premium seats are almost the last seats to be allocated so that the odds of getting a premium seat allocated remains very high if you leave check-in to the very last minute (although this is not a dead cert but this was not one before the change of algorithm either).
Old May 21, 2018, 4:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by NickB
I have recently seen fares of £11.99 and £15.49, for instance. While not £1.99, there are still a tiny fraction of the lowest BA economy fares
I think I would query the "tiny fraction" aspect of this. The cheapest domestic HBO oneway fare on BA is £19.34, that's not a sale fare either, and it can be reduced by a further £5 if you renounce the 500 of the 625 Avios you would have earned on the fare, assuming a Gold cardholder.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
I flew BA to Luxembourg last week for £41.50, same day return. T3 lounges at LHR, more than acceptable lounge in LUX, emergency exit row. Ryanair can suck it

It's as easy to find fare exceptions as it is people that slate BA or Ryanair.

In a general sense of making half truth claims my single fare example is as balanced and reasonable as the video.
Hilde likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
I paid for CE tickets the week before last from EDI to London. Inbound was to LCY and oubound was via Heathrow and it cost £212 return. I had the whole of the CE "cabin" to myself on the way down on the 06:50 flight into City and very nice it was too - the crew insisted I have the full breakfast. Returned via Heathrow and bumped into two former colleagues, one in the Flounge and one at the gate - both surprised to see me sitting in row 2, and when I met them as we disembarked, we discussed the fact that they had both paid more for their ET tickets as we'd all booked late and they had to comply with separate corporate policies that said "economy only". The airlines have got wise to this and last minute economy tickets on some routes can be dearer than CE.

If I try and book EasyJet to Stansted for this week, on the first flight down on Wednesday, coming back up Thursday evening then I'm looking at £222 - why would I not fly CE and be in more comfort and earn 80TP?

Last edited by JP Flyer; May 21, 2018 at 5:34 am Reason: Correcting a typo
Old May 21, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I would query the "tiny fraction" aspect of this. The cheapest domestic HBO oneway fare on BA is £19.34, that's not a sale fare either, and it can be reduced by a further £5 if you renounce the 500 of the 625 Avios you would have earned on the fare, assuming a Gold cardholder.
The £11.99 was to MRS. Feel free to dedicate a post in full multicolour and bold capital letters when you see a £19.34 BA fare to MRS. These are fares, incidentally, which are not isolated but pretty common to dozens and dozens of destinations in FR price campaigns. Can you remind us exactly how many destinations BA offers at £19.34 or less?

As to "non-fare sales", as you put it, well standard FR fares on some domestic routes can also be as low as £9.99. While the case for Ryanair can be overstated (and this comparison between a souped-up FR experience and BA CE is an example of that) , it seems to me that you fall in the opposite trap of understating the extent to which FR prices are routinely not just a little but markedly cheaper than BA fares even though there will always be some counter-examples.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:09 am

Can you remind us exactly how many destinations BA offers at £19.34 or less?
About 30 I would guess, perhaps a few more if you add in the VY codeshares. Cheapest I can find is £17.36. I was merely adding to the accuracy of your post, which in turn was adding to the accuracy of my previous post.
it seems to me that you fall in the opposite trap of understating the extent to which FR prices are routinely not just a little but markedly cheaper than BA fares even though there will always be some counter-examples.
Not only do I agree with this, I actually said so, just above, namely that there are some really good deals to be had on Ryanair. Moreover there is a long list of interesting places - not all of which are some rustic air-strip and barn in the middle of nowhere - where Ryanair flies cheaply and reliably, and which BA won't touch. I fear you may not reading all my posts in full, but admittedly there are rather a lot of them. Now, time for my saucer of milk.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
The £11.99 was to MRS. Feel free to dedicate a post in full multicolour and bold capital letters when you see a £19.34 BA fare to MRS. These are fares, incidentally, which are not isolated but pretty common to dozens and dozens of destinations in FR price campaigns. Can you remind us exactly how many destinations BA offers at £19.34 or less?

As to "non-fare sales", as you put it, well standard FR fares on some domestic routes can also be as low as £9.99. While the case for Ryanair can be overstated (and this comparison between a souped-up FR experience and BA CE is an example of that) , it seems to me that you fall in the opposite trap of understating the extent to which FR prices are routinely not just a little but markedly cheaper than BA fares even though there will always be some counter-examples.
BA do plenty of flights well under £30 each way. Bordeaux, Malaga, Luxembourg, Barcelona, etc.

This, coupled with status benefits, makes them more attractive than FR on most occasions for me. That said, I'm about to book FR for a family trip to Majorca in July as BA want 60k Avios and £130 and FR will sell me a return ticket from BHX (closer to me) with bags and seats for under £300 for the 4 of us.

Anyway, the point here was that FR can't realistically be compared to BA CE, and regardless of my opinions on CE (which aren't high), it's certainly a better product than FR.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

About 30 I would guess, perhaps a few more if you add in the VY codeshares. Cheapest I can find is £17.36.
I think we need to take VY codeshares out of the question as they are really out of scope for this thread. On the routes on which BA offers fare for less than £19.34, I must say that I am stunned. I am aware of sub-£30 fares on a number of Gatwick routes but I can't think of many sub-£20 ones. Is there a list somewhere?
Old May 21, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
BA do plenty of flights well under £30 each way. Bordeaux, Malaga, Luxembourg, Barcelona, etc.
We are talking below £20, not below £30: CWS stated that all Ryanair "bargain" fares ex-UK were above £20 these days and BA offered fares below £20. This is what I was questioning, not whether a FR £20 flight is better value for a BAEC GCH than a BA £30 fare.

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Anyway, the point here was that FR can't realistically be compared to BA CE, and regardless of my opinions on CE (which aren't high), it's certainly a better product than FR.
I entirely agree with that, even with a "souped-up" version of FR.
hugolover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.