Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Some reverse DYKWIA - boarding at CDG last night was a bit of a disaster. Huge scrum around the gate meant that when Group 1 was called it was very hard to move forward. An American couple started berating some group 1 pax who had asked to get past them, started making loud comments along the lines of "look how entitled they are pushing past us etc etc". All in all a very unpleasant atmosphere. When my wife and I came forward we got the same treatment and a french chap joined in too.

It seems these people are "entitled" to abuse passengers who are only following instructions. I know we see a lot of stories of Group 1 pax skipping lines etc, but poorly managed queuing system is often the real problem. What a joy is it to board at LHR and GLA these days with the separate lanes for each group.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Another minor one, after I'd turned around at NCL on Saturday lunchtime and was heading back to LHR.

Aussie guy sat in 1D, mid 50's. First of all sat berating the 'faux business class' he'd 'paid good money for' (mainly to himself, no-one was paying him any attention) then during the meal service asked for a red wine and took a mouthful and screwed up his face and left the rest.

CC clearing the trays asked him if he didn't like it, his comment 'French red wine is awful, and that one in particular is right up there with the worst I've tasted. You should be serving New World Reds rather than this French crap. Anyone who likes French red doesn't know any better and needs to educate themselves'

I just sat and looked out of the window trying not to laugh (whilst siping my Fanta Orange, a partcilarly good vintage) and the CC remarked that he was certainly entitled to his opinion.
Reminds me of the time my former boss went off on one about wines saying among other things we has an ABC (Anything But Chardonnay). I asked him what he thought of Pouilly-Fuissé and were treated to a short lecture of the delights of this particular wine and how many bottles he had. The effect though was somewhat damped when someone else pointed out that Pouilly-Fuissé uses exclusively Chardonnay grapes...

I suspect on reflection he had got confused with Pouilly-Fumé but he did look a bit of a pratt. He was on the whole quite a nice chap otherwise.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
He was on the whole quite a nice chap otherwise.
Similar to this chap, seemed a fairly pleasant guy and even got my bag from the overhead whilst I was sat waiting for the doors to open at LHR.

Either misplaced patriotism, or extreme wine snobbery must trigger the behaviour.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:54 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Worcester
Reminds me of the time my former boss went off on one about wines saying among other things we has an ABC (Anything But Chardonnay). I asked him what he thought of Pouilly-Fuissé and were treated to a short lecture of the delights of this particular wine and how many bottles he had. The effect though was somewhat damped when someone else pointed out that Pouilly-Fuissé uses exclusively Chardonnay grapes...

I suspect on reflection he had got confused with Pouilly-Fumé but he did look a bit of a pratt. He was on the whole quite a nice chap otherwise.
I can be an ABC man. Mainly because it is too often over-oaked in Australian and some Californian wineries because people drink it too cold and then complain they don't taste much flavour. Up comes the wood filings in vats which makes a once fresh chardonnay into a peach melba ice cream sundae.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I can be an ABC man. Mainly because it is too often over-oaked in Australian and some Californian wineries because people drink it too cold and then complain they don't taste much flavour. Up comes the wood filings in vats which makes a once fresh chardonnay into a peach melba ice cream sundae.
I too will reject any Australian wine with Chardonnay written on the label. In Aus it soecixiallsp means this style of winemaking and markets itself to folks who are Not Me.

If they don't write Chardonnay on the label to hide the varietal in Aus, it's an indication they're not going to spread a thick layer of butter around my mouth, and I will happily try it to see if I'll like it.

I am Australian myself, so I have context upon which to make this judgrmenj.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Please let's not venture into debating the relative merits of European and New World wines. It's already very difficult to find actual tales of DYKWIA behavour amongst the discussions about Marmite and school holidays.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: BA GfL
How long before we see a DYKTMCNKGTAPSATTHDSHNVATCAAOCATATIHANCWAMI?

Don’t You Know That My Children (Never “Kids”) Go To A Private School And Thus Have Different School Holidays (Never “Vacation”) And That Californian And Australian Oaked Chardonnays Are Terrible And That I Have Absolutely No Clue What A Marmite* Is!?

*Is it some small animal, similar to a Chinchilla?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Lost-in-Space
I Have Absolutely No Clue What A Marmite* Is!?

Sandwich (actually normally toast) spread of the gods!!
Cotumely likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:52 am
HMO

Originally Posted by Lost-in-Space
How long before we see a DYKTMCNKGTAPSATTHDSHNVATCAAOCATATIHANCWAMI?

Don’t You Know That My Children (Never “Kids”) Go To A Private School And Thus Have Different School Holidays (Never “Vacation”) And That Californian And Australian Oaked Chardonnays Are Terrible And That I Have Absolutely No Clue What A Marmite* Is!?

Originally Posted by bhbloke
Sandwich (actually normally toast) spread of the gods!!
Thank you both, I had the same question!
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As we are so far OT, I will observe that (a) A marmite (pronounced mar-meet) is a traditional crockery casserole vessel found in France. It is famed for its "pot-belly" shape, and (b) being multi-cultural we also have a jar of Vegemite in the larder.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
I've been following this thread since I joined FT but, alas, I've not really seen any DYKWIA behavior myself. Maybe because my headphones stay glued to my head throughout the entire process of flying (I don't like loud places unless it's a rock concert!). I did just remember this though:

Flying out of Venice (VCE) back to London. I'm in the lounge, I see the flight switch to 'BOARDING' and I head down to the gate along with maybe 10-12 other people for that flight. By the time we all get through passport control, which is between the lounge and the gate, boarding had started. We all go to the priority lane and they start processing us all, stopping the general (Groups 3-5?) boarding. The woman at the head of the general queue starting loudly complaining to us that we 'had missed your boarding' and 'we should queue up like everyone else' and words to that effect. I was in a really foul mood that day so her ranting wasn't exactly what I wanted. I held my lip for my own safety.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by streetmagix
The woman at the head of the general queue starting loudly complaining to us that we 'had missed your boarding' and 'we should queue up like everyone else' and words to that effect. I was in a really foul mood that day so her ranting wasn't exactly what I wanted. I held my lip for my own safety.
In situations like this I follow the path of the penguins...

nldogbert, T8191, wrp96 and 7 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
CX PVG-HKG in J, we got lucky and had the long-haul config with 1-2-1 lie-flat seats. Suited and booted gentleman with Gold BA tags dangling from luggage boards and hangs his suit jacket on the peg provided on the seat causing the sleeve of the jacket to hang slightly into the aisle.

First CX attendant passes, politely asks Mr Suited and booted if he would like his jacket hung in the wardrobe and is told no. Several seconds later a second CX attendant asks the same question and received a rather firmer NO. About a minute later a third attendant appears from behind (having not seen the first two interactions) and as she leans over I just know what's coming...

Unlucky attendant - "Would you like me to hang your jacket in the wardrobe sir?"
Mr Suited and booted - "What's WRONG with YOU PEOPLE?! This is unacceptable, I DEMAND to see the purser!"

At top of climb a senior attendant arrived and got a 45 minute, 1-way debrief on cabin service standards from Mr Suited and booted who then went on to fill in a customer complaint card.
estate, wrp96 and thebigben like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by streetmagix
I've been following this thread since I joined FT but, alas, I've not really seen any DYKWIA behavior myself. Maybe because my headphones stay glued to my head throughout the entire process of flying (I don't like loud places unless it's a rock concert!). I did just remember this though:

Flying out of Venice (VCE) back to London. I'm in the lounge, I see the flight switch to 'BOARDING' and I head down to the gate along with maybe 10-12 other people for that flight. By the time we all get through passport control, which is between the lounge and the gate, boarding had started. We all go to the priority lane and they start processing us all, stopping the general (Groups 3-5?) boarding. The woman at the head of the general queue starting loudly complaining to us that we 'had missed your boarding' and 'we should queue up like everyone else' and words to that effect. I was in a really foul mood that day so her ranting wasn't exactly what I wanted. I held my lip for my own safety.
I may have mentioned this one before...

We were heading to NCE from LTN a few years back on Easyjet. Boarding had started with the Speedy Boarding, and the general queue was following right behind - so effectively one queue with SB at the front. A couple came running down the queue saying "we're speedy boarding". They got so far down, when a guy turned to them and said "so are we" pointing to those in front of him.

The guy who stopped them? Stellios
LTN Phobia, PAL62V, T8191 and 9 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by stuart_f
CX PVG-HKG in J, we got lucky and had the long-haul config with 1-2-1 lie-flat seats. Suited and booted gentleman with Gold BA tags dangling from luggage boards and hangs his suit jacket on the peg provided on the seat causing the sleeve of the jacket to hang slightly into the aisle.

First CX attendant passes, politely asks Mr Suited and booted if he would like his jacket hung in the wardrobe and is told no. Several seconds later a second CX attendant asks the same question and received a rather firmer NO. About a minute later a third attendant appears from behind (having not seen the first two interactions) and as she leans over I just know what's coming...

Unlucky attendant - "Would you like me to hang your jacket in the wardrobe sir?"
Mr Suited and booted - "What's WRONG with YOU PEOPLE?! This is unacceptable, I DEMAND to see the purser!"

At top of climb a senior attendant arrived and got a 45 minute, 1-way debrief on cabin service standards from Mr Suited and booted who then went on to fill in a customer complaint card.
What an obnoxious PRICK!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.