Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's “Right to care” provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), £200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. £50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: BAEC
Landed at just before midnight on the 783 from Stockholm Two hours after schedule. Had some baggage issues, two BA flights leaving at identical times led the ground staff to put some luggage in the wrong plane.

As usual, BA staff excellent with the first officer coming round pre flight to apologies and the captain came into CE cabin mid flight (saying he’d been sent to unruffle some feathers). Finally CSM Neil was fantastic with his pro active top ups and is the one I’m blaming for not being so fresh this morning.
EDDMflyer likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:14 am

In fairness, wait times for the Call Centres right now are good. I've just called the Gold number, and was straight through to Newcastle with no waiting time whatsoever (after all the prompts, of course).
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Originally Posted by mrvincent
I cannot OLCI for my new flight [BA441 AMS-LHR] - is this standard in cases where they have lots of cancellations (let's them control who is actually going to turn up for flights to give a better standby process) or do I need to get to the airport nice and early just in case?
Was able to check in yesterday evening for BA 441, you might want to be pro-active in this case.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Heathrow airport App alert:

Flights to and from Heathrow continue to be affected. Before coming to the airport, you should check the status of your flight with your airline. If the status of your flight is cancelled, please do not travel to the airport.

The safety and comfort of our passengers is always our first priority and we are working closely with our airlines to ensure affected passengers are looked after. We apologise to those whose travel has been impacted and regret the inconveniences that have been caused.
No mention of weather.

Last edited by florens; Dec 12, 2017 at 2:37 am Reason: typo, format
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Almost back to normal, but not quite. I reckon there are 339 BA services today from LHR and the following are cancelled So that's 14 cancellations of which DOH was cancelled for other reasons some time ago. A typical day at LHR has half a dozen cancellations, so we are in a "wet day at LHR" scenario, though it's actually dry and sunny. In round numbers, cancellations have gone from 50% on Sunday, 40% on Monday and 5% today, allowing for a few more to happen later on, I imagine AMS isn't out of the woods just yet.

BA1386 MAN 08:05
BA0906 FRA 08:20
BA0712 ZRH 09:05
BA0982 TXL 10:10
BA0235 DME 10:15
BA0588 LIN 10:25
BA0834 DUB 10:35
BA0396 BRU 10:55
BA1440 EDI 11:25
BA1342 LBA 12:05
BA0952 MUC 12:10
BA0560 FCO 12:50
BA1334 NCL 15:05
BA0123 DOH 21:00

No cancellations from LCY or LGW at the moment.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jpdx
. Its unbelievable that they'd leave me stranded here (and incur hundreds of pounds in extra costs) rather than letting me sit in front of the curtain for a 2 hour flight. Is this their actual policy?
That is the policy, stay put, rack up the hotel bills and then go when they find a flight for you, on the basis that you are able to get in touch with the contact centre. If it is shorthaul there is a good chance the curtain may move and allow you to find availability. You can set up EF alerts or give the details in the relevant thread to track availability.

Originally Posted by Misco60
At which point can these cancellations no longer be attributed to weather but to operational difficulties, and therefore within the scope of EC261?
At some point this becomes a fair question. However if Heathrow has asked BA to reduce inflows then that gets them off the hook. If it's due to aircraft being out of place on Sunday / shortage of aircraft then I think there is an arguable case, but broadly BA probably has the stronger hand here.

Originally Posted by BHDATC
Is anyone having issues getting hold of anyone on the Gold line - I cant even get on hold - I just get the pre recorded message then it disconnects. It has been like this for a 24 hours now. I cant change my booking online either as it says there is a temporary when I select my new flight time. I am prepared to wait on hold - this is ridiculous.
Ring the NCL number printed in the letter above, there are very short queues on that (sub 10 minutes).

Originally Posted by mrvincent
I cannot OLCI for my new flight [BA441 AMS-LHR] - is this standard in cases where they have lots of cancellations (let's them control who is actually going to turn up for flights to give a better standby process) or do I need to get to the airport nice and early just in case?
Yes add an extra 10 minutes, but if you have a confirmed reservation on an operating service then ensure you're at AMS about 90 minutes before departure or so.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Misco60
At which point can these cancellations no longer be attributed to weather but to operational difficulties, and therefore within the scope of EC261?

I see there are two BA cancellations from TXL (Berlin Tegel) to LHR today, but no cancellations on Eurowings (who are, presumably, subject to the same weather conditions as BA).
Looking at Skyscanner's LHR activity list to midday, of the 174 departures across all airlines BA have 11 cancelled (including one no-info item), KLM have one. Everything else listed as normal ops.

Were the carrier ratios for other days more balanced? Once they aren't it presumably becomes more of a BA than LHR cause.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Tuesday's news flash from BA.com

Snow and ice across UK and Europe – latest information

Answer Id 6236 Updated 11/12/2017 07.54 PM (UK time)

Summary
Following the adverse weather conditions across the UK and parts of northern Europe on Sunday and Monday, we are returning to near normal schedules.

On Tuesday 12 December we are aiming to run our normal operations at London Gatwick and London City and the vast majority of flights from London Heathrow. Affected flights on Tuesday have been updated in our systems, and we recommend that all customers please check the status of their flight before leaving for the airport.

Please do not travel to the airport if your flight has been cancelled.

> Check the status of your flight

You can also check your flight status on your mobile phone or download the BA app.

Safety is always our priority, and as temperatures remain low, we are having to de-ice significant numbers of aircraft at many airports before they depart and this adds additional time and complexity into our schedules. We are very sorry for the difficulties that have caused by the poor weather and have brought in additional staff who are re-booking customers onto the next available flights and offering hotel accommodation for those who require it. Our teams around the world are working around the clock, doing all they can to help customers and to get flights away.

What to do if your flight has been cancelled OR your flight is operating but you would like to change the travel date?

If you are due to fly to or from London Heathrow on any British Airways operated flight on Monday 11 December or Tuesday 12 December and no longer wish to travel, we are offering you the opportunity to claim a full refund or to re-book on alternative flights up until Monday 18 December, free of charge. This applies even if your flight is still showing to be scheduled to operate.

If you booked through a travel agent please contact them to re-book.

If you booked on our website you can re-book your flight in Manage my booking.

> Help with delayed baggage

> Claiming for expenses
And for Refunds they have added this comment:

Making a claim following weather disruption – help and advice

Answer Id 6243 Updated 11/12/2017 03.56 PM (UK time)

We are very sorry for the disruption and frustration customers experienced as a result of the snow and poor weather in the UK and northern Europe on Sunday 10 December and Monday 11 December. If you wish to make an expenses claim for items such as hotel accommodation, food, ground transport, delayed baggage or telephone costs while you were delayed, please find full details of what you are able to claim for and how to make a claim here:

> What you can claim and how to claim expenses

We will be working as hard as we can to process all relevant ticket refund and expenses payments to customers as quickly as we can and have extra resources in place. However due to the volume of customers involved it may take a little longer than normal to process all of the payments. We are sorry for this and would like to reassure you that we will continue to meet the claims as soon as we can. Thank you for your support and understanding and once again please accept our apologies for the disruption you have faced.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:53 am

Thanks for a very interesting post, Heathrow Tower – and glad you were able to get out to enjoy a break before the weather hit!

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Unfortunately, there are many companies that offer such services at LHR, and so there is no central control of all the aircraft de-icing resources. However this is something HAL are working on. Varying levels of SLAs between the companies and airlines mean that sometimes a crew will be called away from de-icing one aircraft from airline A to de-ice and aircraft from airline B because they offer B the gold service and A only the silver service. By the time they are finished with B, they need to start again from scratch on A.
Without making this too political, this really does strike me as somewhat ridiculous… I mean, I understand the logic of an airline outsourcing services like catering and cleaning, and presumably de-icing comes under this kind of arrangement. But when you have the kind of fragmentation described above, it highlight the perverse disincentives and inefficiencies inherent to such an approach!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
Thanks for highlighting the most recent news items from BA, c-w-s, particularly the one with the link to the expenses claim process. I've just tried to use it and have been blocked in a way that seems reminiscent of some website issues a few weeks ago.

After choosing which type of claim one is trying to make (baggage, disruption, etc.) you are prompted to login if you are a BAEC member. Once I selected this option I was then told access was blocked because 'unusual traffic had been detected from my computer network.' It may or may not be relevant that one of the interstitial pages had a page title of 'customer portal test page' which doesn't fill one with confidence!

Anyone else seeing a similar issue? It's not urgent for me, luckily I can afford to wait to get my overnight expenses back, but that's not true for everyone.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Took the 0705 BA flight to FRA this morning. Departed on time, left on time. LHR seemed back to normal today...

Bussed to C gate from A10
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by cziwkga
Thanks for highlighting the most recent news items from BA, c-w-s, particularly the one with the link to the expenses claim process. I've just tried to use it and have been blocked in a way that seems reminiscent of some website issues a few weeks ago.

After choosing which type of claim one is trying to make (baggage, disruption, etc.) you are prompted to login if you are a BAEC member. Once I selected this option I was then told access was blocked because 'unusual traffic had been detected from my computer network.' It may or may not be relevant that one of the interstitial pages had a page title of 'customer portal test page' which doesn't fill one with confidence!

Anyone else seeing a similar issue? It's not urgent for me, luckily I can afford to wait to get my overnight expenses back, but that's not true for everyone.
It blocked me also earlier in the day but it appears to be working for me now. Navigating the section seems painful however.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
Originally Posted by cziwkga

For info - I tried again, but this time logged into BAEC first before trying the claim form. It worked for me, but it may just be that the glitch was fixed in the meantime.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Another day and another letter from our David:

Now this isn't entirely correct in that Zone E seems to be up and running today, with a moderate queue. They have tensa'd off the front area, but they've given up trying to patrol the side entry points (by the Royal Mail letter boxes). There are still a lot of staff on hand and I imagine people are being persuaded to call up instead of queuing, nevertheless all Zone E is open including ticketing desks. Zone A Flight Management looked busy but overall the impression is that T5 is pretty much as normal. No queues in the First Wing.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: Skyward gold, MH Enrich gold
I was one of the many victims of this so called weather- related event. I can't really blame the weather as it is what it is and if it's not safe to fly then BA would just have to cancel the flight. However, what irked me most are:

1. This surely was not the first time in the entire history of mankind BA had encountered snow (albeit a brief period of snow where all of that melted within a short period ...... we all could see that so there is no point any of the BA spin guru tried to spin this and called it a major snow storm), but the way BA reacted (or not reacting at all) to this was like they had never encountered this before hence the chaos. We have had years of snow so why is it that BA still handling this so badly? Costs issue? Profit above customers' welfare? Idiotic management?

2. Notwithstanding what is stated in their "apology letter", what we can see on the ground was total chaos! Communicating with BA staffs? Good luck if you can get through the line or get to the front of the q to talk to the 2 or 3 staffs manning the counter. There was no announcements or update of the situation over the PA system and no ground staffs to be seen near the flight board.

3. BA even chased their most valuable customers out of the lounge shortly after 10.30pm and shut their rebooking counter there at 10.30pm! Well done, they adhered to their so-called normal working hours during such an event .... where is the urgency and any attempt to provide additional help to customers?

4. When we eventually lined up for 4 hours to get through immigration, we were chased out of the baggage claim area into the outside cold weather .... no one from BA outside to help or provide info, we were all on our own not knowing what would happen next and where to go. A lot of passengers who had never set foot in the UK, family, elderlies, babies etc where left helpless outside in the cold. Taxi q were miles long, by the time I managed to get to a hotel in Hammersmith (all hotels nearby LHR were fully booked) it was already 4am. I count myself lucky being able to look after myself ... I feel sorry for those who could not.

i am extremely angry with the way BA handled this, BA is not a new player in this industry, they chose to hide behind this 2 inches of snow and dumped everything on the customers. I can understand certain disruptions are unavoidable, but the lack of supports and attempt to address the issues on BA's part is shocking. I hope fellow travelers will vote with their wallets and refuse to enrich BA further less that they think they can continue to treat customers with such disdains. Enough is enough and this will be the last time I fly BA
stephem likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.