Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's “Right to care” provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), £200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. £50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The specific dispatch information vanished off the system last night, but I would be near certain that it was caught up in the weather related difficulties. That PHL service was at 12:45, just when things were going horribly wrong.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:46 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
As scheduling gets back to normal, I thought I'd express my gratitude to CWS for his 71 posts in this thread (yes, I actually counted them).

In a thread which has had almost 30,000 views, over 10% of the posts have come from him - and that's not including the other information he has provided over the course of the past few days in the EU261 thread et al.

Its a shame that there isn't a 'Key to the BA Forum', as you'd certainly deserve it! I'm not sure what it would allow, but you'd definitely be permitted to herd virtual sheep.

While I wasn't flying, I had a number of colleagues and family members who were caught up in the storm, so on their behalf, and indeed mine, thank you.

M

Last edited by msm2000uk; Dec 13, 2017 at 7:28 am
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
As scheduling gets back to normal, I thought I'd express my gratitude to CWS for his 69 posts in this thread (yes, I actually counted them).
M
I commend your endeavour but if you click the post count on the home page it gives you that number.

You must have missed 2.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:29 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by simons1
I commend your endeavour but if you click the post count on the home page it gives you that number.

You must have missed 2.
I had no idea that function existed - but number now duly amended!

M
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Important information for those travelling to India, Hong Kong and DACH (Germany, Austria, Switzerland).
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Consequently if you are on a revenue booking to India from London Heathrow (but not in the other direction), on services which were cancelled, then BA is now rebooking travellers to Air India and Jet Airways. You can call the Contact Centres to enable this. The exception, for some reason, is that Jet service 117 to BOM cannot be used. This arrangement is in place for services up to and including 15 December. Avios is not available for this service (legally dubious this!) and Trade/Corporate need to liaise with BA support contacts to see what can be negotiated.
I was hoping to be able to retire from this thread, but not just yet! BA have reached further agreements with Cathay and the Lufthansa Group for those trying to get to HK or DACH. See the post above for the previous agreement for Jet and Air India.

Hong Kong: For those travelling 10 or 11 December and still not rebooked, Cathay from both LHR and LGW can now be used for flights up to and including 15 December. This also includes redemption bookings. Ring up the Contact Centre to enable this. Those connecting via LHR can also use direct routes from their point of origin.

Germany/Austria/Switzerland: I hope there aren't many people in this category but Lufthansa, Austrian and Swiss can now be used for those stranded from cancelled flights on 10 and 11 December. Rebooking allowed up to and including 16 December. This allows direct services to avoid tranvelling through London, and it is also ok to swap LHR and LGW. This does not cover redemptions. Again call the BA contact centre to allow this, or it can be done at the airport.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
I was also stuck in LHR Due to the bad weather. I was flying from HYD to LHR on the 12th early morning from HYD & when I landed in LHR the Pilot said there was snow we needed to wait on the tarmac till a gate opened and kept us updated. Well 5 hours passed on and we finally got a gate. After we got to the gate and they cleaned the Jet Bridge since there was a lot of snow on it, we got off and went to a counter where they scanned our tickets and the other passengers who were supposed to catch a another flight to PHX but they told us it was too late and we needed to go to the ticketing assistance counter in T5 in arrivals and we waited for 4+ hours to get to the counter to get a hotel and food vouchers and get new tickers for the following day. Exactly 8 people behind us got these vouchers and then they made a announcement they ran out. Then we got in line for immigration, which took 2+ hours and we got out had to take a uber to central London to the hotel we were given and the next day at 8am we got a email and text saying our new flight was cancelled and we were rebooked on a flight via Seattle with a very tight connection to PHX. When we got to Seattle we only got one of our 6 bags and when we got to PHX we got Zero Bags. On the 12th we got one bag and the other 5 are still "On Their Way". This was one stressful return flight.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
It has been said that EC261 compensation won't be paid... well I am claiming and if it isn't paid then I will take it further. My flight was not affected directly by the weather so it is a "knock on" effect so should be covered. We'll see what they say.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:52 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
It has been said that EC261 compensation won't be paid... well I am claiming and if it isn't paid then I will take it further. My flight was not affected directly by the weather so it is a "knock on" effect so should be covered. We'll see what they say.
You've already said that the outbound flight was delayed due to weather, which meant your inbound flight was also delayed. Good luck with that one...
Schwann likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
I was (due to be) on BA 0269 from LAX-LHR - the nice 380 that I had on the way out.

I got (a lot - > 36 hours) of notice of cancellation - Am now flying back the next day, on a 747, this has inconvenienced me somewhat as I had an onward flight to a meeting which I had to cancel, and am arriving in London 20 hours (ish) late

Does 261 come into play here/ what are my options? Call centres don't want to talk compo until I am home - fair enough.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by happyintheair
I was (due to be) on BA 0269 from LAX-LHR - the nice 380 that I had on the way out.

I got (a lot - > 36 hours) of notice of cancellation - Am now flying back the next day, on a 747, this has inconvenienced me somewhat as I had an onward flight to a meeting which I had to cancel, and am arriving in London 20 hours (ish) late

Does 261 come into play here/ what are my options? Call centres don't want to talk compo until I am home - fair enough.
Was this related to the recent weather issues, or is this an upcoming flight? If the latter, it sounds like a knock on effect of the A380 stuck in JNB and BA sending another A380 to get the passengers back to London ( see British Airways A380 G-XLEF Johannesburg Rescue Mission. | The BA Source for example). If so, yes, EC261 applies (600 euros, plus travel expenses during the delay if appropriate).
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
Do you know nothing about how airlines are run? Terminal and ramp staff are one thing, and yes critical to the customer experience, but what about the legions of flight planners and crew controllers and other 'invisible' ants who keep the ship afloat? At least a score of aircraft were stranded last night, and it's not by accident that they all made it back to LHR today. There's normally no need for an army of flight planners to be working overnight, but there sure was Sunday into Monday, and without the volunteers half of those customers who did make it away on Monday probably wouldn't have.
Incidentally, there were a hundred or so additional terminal staff volunteering for duty on Sunday night, so you weren't even right there.
Delighted to hear there were lots of volunteers both on the terminals and at Waterside. Your inside knowledge a defence of BA is helpful to those us less involved in the machinery of the business, just it’s victims.

Its just a pity that they had not put as much effort into the planning of a well trailed weather event in the first place.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You've already said that the outbound flight was delayed due to weather, which meant your inbound flight was also delayed. Good luck with that one...
The guidelines in the EU261 thread clearly describe that as a knock on delay and so EU261 DOES apply.

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:42 am
Original Poster

The guidelines in the EU261 thread clearly describe that as a knock on delay and so EU261 DOES apply.

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Ah hang on. A knock on delay would be if your flight had been caught somewhere unrelated previously. So let's say you were in DUB and returning to London (where the weather was OK), BA could not use the weather in AMS to wriggle out of EC261. If you are an outstation without a BA fleet present and the the aircraft is stuck in LHR then to my mind the ball is still being passed backwards and thus in open play.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Ah hang on. A knock on delay would be if your flight had been caught somewhere unrelated previously. So let's say you were in DUB and returning to London (where the weather was OK), BA could not use the weather in AMS to wriggle out of EC261. If you are an outstation without a BA fleet present and the the aircraft is stuck in LHR then to my mind the ball is still being passed backwards and thus in open play.
But the aircraft wasn't stuck in London because of weather. It was pre-emptively cancelled 25hrs before. I could understand if it was a weather-related delay... as I understand it, the vast majority of these delays were not weather delays but operational delays due to slow or unavailable de-icing. This was not an extreme event. It was a dusting of snow and some below zero temps. Something that happens almost every year and they should have been able to cope with it way better than they did.

To me, very few flights were weather-delayed and mine was not one of them. I believe that mine should be considered "knock on" and I have applied for compensation. If they refuse I will take it to the next stage. As customers we should not have to put up with this kind of business mismanagement and incompetence. Having just got Silver status I now find myself not wanting to travel much at all now.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:37 am
Original Poster

But the aircraft wasn't stuck in London because of weather. It was pre-emptively cancelled 25hrs before. I could understand if it was a weather-related delay... as I understand it, the vast majority of these delays were not weather delays but operational delays due to slow or unavailable de-icing. This was not an extreme event. It was a dusting of snow and some below zero temps. Something that happens almost every year and they should have been able to cope with it way better than they did.
I would say it's a different argument, not so much "knock on" but more "there was more BA could/should have done to avoid this". That's a perfectly respectable argument, and it's certainly worth a go. I can't see it working at CEDR level since they are fairly conservative in this area, from what we've seen, but it may get a more favourable hearing in MCOL. I still don't fancy your chances since the relevant wording is "meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned", for which BA would have a reasonable set of evidence to support its case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.