Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's “Right to care” provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), £200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. £50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
Thank you. And separately from the above, where a passenger declines an auto-rebooked flight, does BA automatically refund without the need to make a claim?
I think you need to specifically cancel the flight and apparently fee-free cancellations were switched on during this period. In your case I think you better apply for it, they will let you know if it is being processed already.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Hi all

Just received an email from BA refunding my £286 hotel + transport costs. Very well done by BA so I'm happy they handled this without too much of a faff

Thanks @corporate-wage-slave for all his help in this thread!!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I was caught up in this. I was supposed to fly IAH-LHR-TXL and the IAH-LHR was cancelled twice (once on the tenth and the other on the 11th). I was finally placed on the other flight on the 11th and when I went to check in was told that I would be flying LH. I was on a paid C ticket upgraded with Avios to F. The booking on BA was confirmed F. However when I was involuntarily rerouted to LH she wouldn't book me in F. Fine. (What I don't understand was that my BA flight actually left for LHR fine and full. My F seat was given to someone else and I was flying C on LH.). Repeated attempts to get my Avois used to upgrade this outbound segment have been unsuccessful. I email them and they tell me I must call Customer Relations. Customer Relations here in the US does not answer the phone. It gives a message describing high call volume and disconnects or disconnects after speaking about IT problems. I've been calling for several weeks and am convinced that BA CR in the US never answers the phone since there are just revolving messages as to why they don't answer and they just disconnect. I tried calling CR in the UK and similar disconnection.. Follow up via email describing the issues trying to call Customer Relations refuse to help me and tell me that 'I need to "keep trying" to call. I paid for C and flew C--fine. I just want my Avios back that I used to upgrade to F from C since I didn't fly F (and extra taxes if any paid to do so--I don't think there were any?) What am I doing wrong here?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Renard
What am I doing wrong here?
Call the UK Customer Relations number after 14:00 hrs GMT. I tried it just now and was through to an agent in under 5 minutes. It's indeed the sort of thing where webforms don't work. They are snowed under (as it were) so it will be easier if you leave it until a quiet period.

+44 191 490 7901 option 4
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
As I reported up-thread, we were on BA 93 on Dec 11th which was delayed 6 hours due to a mechanical problem. I was surprised that they were able to find a replacement crew and aircraft even that quickly in the midst of all the other weather-related issues they had going on that day. As this thread has popped up again, I thought I'd report on the successful conclusion of our EC261 claim. I filed it online and BA was very responsive and professional. Aside from the info I provided on the online form, I only needed to send in a signed authorization letter from my wife and within a couple of days 2 x €600 was direct-deposited into our bank account. All-in-all, I was very impressed with how well BA handled things.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Compare this to Ryanair, according to
https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...ayed-cancelled

It was due to land at Berlin Schönefeld, passengers were told that they were being diverted to Hanover. When they reached Hanover at 1am there was no transport in sight and no staff to direct them. "With many others, I sat on a cold, dark platform at 2am waiting 40 minutes for a train and I arrived in Berlin at 6.30 the following morning. My short break was effectively ruined as I’d lost a night’s sleep.” Once home, she applied to Ryanair for a refund of her rail expenses. To her astonishment, it refused, claiming, in two successive letters, that transport had been laid on for passengers.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:23 pm

BA delay BA 779 - ARN to LHR 11 Dec 2017

Hi

I just wanted to write a post for those who were delayed by 7.5 hours on this flight Stockholm to London due to a mixture of the plane breaking down and weather.

My friend was denied compensation as the weather related component was 200 minutes long, the technical fault 180 minutes long and the rest operational.

Initially denied EU compensation for more than a 4 hour delay a friend took them to CEDR and now BA are reversing their initial decision of denying EU compensation.

Just wanted to pass the message on.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks for that information pph22, it was very good of you to share that with us and indeed it may be helpful to anyone either on that service or in a similar technical-plus-weather scenario. Having emerged from lurker life I would certainly encourage you to keep posting, this forum only has value thanks to the contributions of people like you. Welcome on board.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:31 pm

I paid for C and flew C--fine. I just want my Avios back that I used to upgrade to F from C since I didn't fly F (and extra taxes if any paid to do so--I don't think there were any?) What am I doing wrong here?
The poster above forgot to tell you that you don't have to claim your F to C miles - you are entitled to a 75% refund on the IAH-LHR leg if this is worth more to you (which it likely is, as it's 75% of the miles, and 75% of the cash fare exc taxes). You should ask for this refund as per your rights under EC 261.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by 710 77345
The poster above forgot to tell you that you don't have to claim your F to C miles - you are entitled to a 75% refund on the IAH-LHR leg if this is worth more to you (which it likely is, as it's 75% of the miles, and 75% of the cash fare exc taxes). You should ask for this refund as per your rights under EC 261.
Several weeks ago (Jan 22), I made a EC261 claim via their website and there have been no response at all. A follow up request also ignored. At least the airlines in the USA have the decency to write back to tell you to drop dead. It’s one thing to get a response other than one hoped but no response at all is just appalling.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I paid for C and flew C--fine. I just want my Avios back that I used to upgrade to F from C since I didn't fly F (and extra taxes if any paid to do so--I don't think there were any?) What am I doing wrong here?
Several weeks ago (Jan 22), I made a EC261 claim via their website and there have been no response at all. A follow up request also ignored. At least the airlines in the USA have the decency to write back to tell you to drop dead. It’s one thing to get a response other than one hoped but no response at all is just appalling.
If you are just after the upgrade points back (as mentioned in the first post), then try PMing BAMissingAvios on here with all the details. This is a specific account set up for this sort of thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.