Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's “Right to care” provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), £200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. £50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HKCH
I wonder how BA will handle all my costs, especially the two extra holidays I need to take which cost a lot of money.
As there are BA flights leaving today and they just did not get us on these I would assume that EU261 also should be a topic once again. Or can they still blame the weather that we cannot fly home today?

There is certainly an argument that at some point this is BA's organisation, not weather, but I don't think we are there yet. The airport has imposed restrictions on the rate of movements and that's extraordinary circumstances. But yes BA will cover reasonable hotel and meal costs even if it takes a few days, just no compensation for the delay. For the holiday costs beyond that, you probably need to look to insurance, depending on the details.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: VS Gold and a few more.....
Hi All,

I'm waiting in the PRG lounge for the BA859. The outbound aircraft is operating as BA852 and keeps getting a further delay added. Is anyone aware of any further information to advise whether this will make it out of LHR today?

I notice both of the later PRG flights are already cancelled so I'm knackered if the BA852 doesn't make it out.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Hopefully anyone who is in the sauna has everything crossed too!
To add to the sauna jokes: The only guess sweating right now are probably the poor BA folks having to handle the masses of people...

Originally Posted by EDDMflyer
I know you can never predict the weather, but how likely is it to continue like this?
I just looked at of the window at work (central London) and it looks like sleet is falling again (similar to yesterday) but the weather forecasts says that it's going to stay in the low single digit +°C.

Originally Posted by jpdx
Just leaving T5 on the tube. Was on one of the few non-cancelled MUC flights (12.05). Checked in online, went to the airport, dropped off my bags with agent telling me flight is delayed until 1.11. Head to security, where BP gives error message — you guessed it, flight cancelled. Two minutes later receive text/email.
I can beat that. Left yesterday morning to drop a relative at T3. Left home with the flight on schedule. In the 50 minutes of tube, I received 15 notifications of flight changes with the departure time going back and forth. 1 hour delay, 30 minutes delay, 2 hours delay, 4 hours delay, 3 hours delay, 2 hours delay. Due to the uncertainty of the actual departure time, I decided to continue to T3. Dropped of the relative at the entry to security, took the tube home. I was on my doorstep when the phone rang with the CMT app notifying me of the cancellation. Headed back to Heathrow to pick her up and drop her off at an hotel (since my guestroom was taken by then). On the upside, I know now every tube stop between home and Heathrow.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by StormDog
Hi All,

I'm waiting in the PRG lounge for the BA859. The outbound aircraft is operating as BA852 and keeps getting a further delay added. Is anyone aware of any further information to advise whether this will make it out of LHR today?

I notice both of the later PRG flights are already cancelled so I'm knackered if the BA852 doesn't make it out.

Thanks in advance for any help.
It will depart, it's boarding now.

As for your flight, it's a 15:44 departure.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BABenchley
It will depart, it's boarding now.

As for your flight, it's a 15:44 departure.
Whether it successfully gets to LHR, gets a gate quickly and you escape the airport is another matter.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
I just looked at of the window at work (central London) and it looks like sleet is falling again (similar to yesterday) but the weather forecasts says that it's going to stay in the low single digit +°C.
Currently snowing again but it melts right away.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:52 am

Hi guys, just wondering where I stand in this. So I was booked on the 1305 to GLA (avios redemption booking on CE) on the 10th which was canceled. I was then rebooked on the 1510 which was also canceled. Was told to queue at gate A7 to exit the departure hall. Queued for 2 hours for nothing. I spoke to a few other passengers and was told that they were recording our details (probably for some sort of compensation). However, after queing for 2 hours, the guy in the gate didn't even bother looking at my ticket, just told us that we need to go back out to the check in desk in my case, H, to rebook. Pretty stupid - not sure why there was a queue there to begin with - queue to GET OUT the departure hall extended from A7 to A1 so you can imagine how long that is.

Anyway, went back out to the check in desk. I am sure those seasoned travelers here know that there are 2 entrances on check in sections H. Not sure why. Anyway, I queued on the left line as when I queue to get my initial booking, on the right line, there was less staff and it took longer. Anyway, after queuing for almost another 1 1/2 hours, I finally goto speak to the women at the desk who told me I should have queued on the left line. I was like ..., why was there no one from BA to at least let us know that the left queue which was longer was for check in bag drops only while the right line was for rebooking only. No doubt there were a few furious travelers.

I had a text as well to offer to rebook me onto the LGW flight at 610 but I didn't bother accepting it as all the hotels around the area was fully booked. I was then told that I need to go back to get the bags I checked in as BA will not send my bags to another airport for obvious reasons. I went to queue ANOTHER 30 minutes only to be told that we won't be getting our bags today (9.15 pm). Which was an absolute joke. One of the passengers even said, you better make an exception or you will need to call the police lmao

So I ended up rebooking myself a flight from LCY to GLA which I am currently waiting to get on.

I noticed a massive queue at the check in at LCY so I didn't bother waiting there. So my question is when I get to GLA, I am assuming that BA will at least be able to get my bag from LHR to GLA for me right? Ideally to my doorstep as well.

Additionally, am I entitled for any reimbursements on my train/ hotel (travelodge lol) tickets? I went to cancel the booking from LGW which was offered to me as I know I won't be traveling on it so I am not sure if this will somewhat affect my ability to be reimbursed? And my award ticket? Will that affect my compensation?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Apologies if already addressed elsewhere but was wondering what the situation is regarding compensation for essentials. We have been without our bags for 24 hours now and our rescheduled flight is not for another more than 24. We have no clean clothing, underwear, toiletries etc. and imagine it will be impossible to retrieve our bags at T3. Are we entitled to claim back for basic clean clothing and toiletries - anyone know what the reasonable limits are? Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AceCobra1
I noticed a massive queue at the check in at LCY so I didn't bother waiting there. So my question is when I get to GLA, I am assuming that BA will at least be able to get my bag from LHR to GLA for me right? Ideally to my doorstep as well.

Additionally, am I entitled for any reimbursements on my train/ hotel (travelodge lol) tickets? I went to cancel the booking from LGW which was offered to me as I know I won't be traveling on it so I am not sure if this will somewhat affect my ability to be reimbursed? And my award ticket? Will that affect my compensation?
For additional costs, yes you should get these refunded, keep and photo the receipts as per the wiki. I don't think the LGW issue makes any difference. There's no EC261 compensation due however. For the baggage, you should register that as missing at GLA. If there is a big queue there, then do it online (I suppose you could do it now, but the guideline is to try and do it at the airport, for some reason). Just go to this hotlink:
BA.com/baggage
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:59 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Well, this is nice. The online rebooking function just keeps loading and then errors out. And I can't report my missing bag online, because apparently flights have to be flown before a report can be filed. There seems to be no provision for bags accepted by BA, and flights subsequently cancelled.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: VS Gold and a few more.....
Originally Posted by xenole
Whether it successfully gets to LHR, gets a gate quickly and you escape the airport is another matter.
Agreed - I'll happily take my chances with that though 😀

Thanks for the update both.

Last edited by StormDog; Dec 11, 2017 at 6:05 am
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by seattle29
Two aircraft at Cardiff (CWL) are due to fly back empty to LHR this morning. The other 4 diverted aircraft are remaining on the ground for now.
Thanks for this - how would I figure that out for BOH, as well as figure out which of the aircraft there had operated as BA343?

Beyond mere curiosity, there is a strong chance that my checked bags are onboard that plane. Long story short, BOH handlers did attempt to offload baggage for passengers last night, but ran out either of space or of resources, and delivered some passengers' bags but not others'. Of course, none of us knew this until we had stood in the baggage hall a good 30+ minutes, eventually being told we were all to complete Servisair forms for the missing baggage before leaving. By that point, we had missed arranged transportation to LHR, but were told there might be another coach in an hour or two!

My bags may also still be in NCE - BA's baggage system indicates last scan in NCE. Any substantive information I have was given to me by a friendly agent in T3 Galleries, as that was the only place I could find any BA employee without putting at risk my reaching the AA729 to PHL, which together with other AA services, all seem to be operating normally.

Good luck to all from the peacefully calm CX lounge - a comparative paradise where no one seems to have any problems with their travels today.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Elevate
Apologies if already addressed elsewhere but was wondering what the situation is regarding compensation for essentials. We have been without our bags for 24 hours now and our rescheduled flight is not for another more than 24. We have no clean clothing, underwear, toiletries etc. and imagine it will be impossible to retrieve our bags at T3. Are we entitled to claim back for basic clean clothing and toiletries - anyone know what the reasonable limits are? Thanks.
I'm not aware of any guidelines here, but if you are shopping in Marks and Spencer (etc) you're unlikely to be challenged, at least I'm not aware of it. But yes, if BA have not surfaced your baggage you are allowed to spend reasonable sums on replacing essential items, clothing and toiletries are definitely in that category. What we tend to say in this forum is that you should only spend on the basis that you won't get a refund (even though you will) as if it was your own money involved here. Ensure you keep and photo receipts.
PETER01 and Elevate like this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Schultzois
Thanks for this - how would I figure that out for BOH, as well as figure out which of the aircraft there had operated as BA343?
G-EUPF - see https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f.../ba343#fca812c

She is airborne now en route to LHR - https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW9275/fcccd3a
Schultzois likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What we tend to say in this forum is that you should only spend on the basis that you won't get a refund (even though you will) as if it was your own money involved here. Ensure you keep and photo receipts.
^ which is why I have checked-out of the hotel this morning. I had booked a night for 200£-ish but the night to Tuesday (MMB wouldn't propose a quicker alternative) would cost upwards of 350£. I managed to score a couch at a friend's place for tonight and will be taking the tube back to Heathrow tomorrow (the Heathrow express is only marginally quicker) and I can see how BA could refuse the claim. I'm saving them a hotel night and taking the cheapest possible transport (apart from local buses).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.