Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's “Right to care” provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), £200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. £50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:00 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Anyone at T5 now?

How busy/shambolic is it? I'm planning on leaving in good time to make allowances for the roads, but that may give me 2+ hours in the terminal...
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Kleaver
Lots of stranded BA passengers with everything crossed in the AY HEL lounges at the moment. Sauna strangely empty though.
Hopefully anyone who is in the sauna has everything crossed too!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
I know you can never predict the weather, but how likely is it to continue like this? Or was it just the storm and snow together that caused such huge delays? What if it´s only snow and de-icing? LHR should be able to handle this, right? Haven´t been there in the snow yet, only in spring and summer and having 4 flights in/out of LHR in 3 days, MUC-LHR-BUD-LHR-JFK
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Avios
Question BA Flights to Vienna cancelled???

I notice that many flights from LHR to VIE have been cancelled beginning yesterday and on to today!

At the same time, the Austrian Airways flights have all flown to VIE.

How come the many BA flights have been cancelled???

I will be flying that route soon and am a bit concerned.

Thanx, in advance, to anyone who responds.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by ddschur
How come the many BA flights have been cancelled???
BA can't handle a thin layer of snow and as a result is all over the place with planes and crews sitting pretty much everywhere. It will take a couple of days for all the planes to be in the right places again and for BA to operate as usual again.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
It’s ridiculous that BA can’t get their act together and organise the ops in a bit of snow. Management heads should fall, this is the second time in a year that irrops handling has been less than stellar.
I am happy(as one can be) but a lot of customers would not be.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Talking

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Well the fact that it's fully flex doesn't really matter in that respect, since as the flight was cancelled you're entitled to a refund and to rebook with whomever you like anyway.

That said, if it is genuinely fully flex then of course you are entitled to change it to whatever date you please irrespective of the current disruption policy. That should ordinarily be doable in MMB but if that's not working then the call centre should be able to do it, but they are probably too confused/overwhelmed to realise that.
indeed. It is in the hands of the corporate TA now to sort out. I’ve had enough of all this travel malarkey... till next year.

Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by EDDMflyer
I know you can never predict the weather, but how likely is it to continue like this? Or was it just the storm and snow together that caused such huge delays? What if it´s only snow and de-icing? LHR should be able to handle this, right?
The big problem yesterday was that the weather forecast had not included snow in London. I had an interest in this for other reasons, and even at about 11 pm on Saturday night, all weather forecasts that I saw had heavy rain but no snow for London; the snow was all forecast for further north. It was then a big surprise to see snow falling here during the morning.

What I can remember of the forecast suggested that it would be much like it actually has been today (Monday): wet, but not frozen. I did not encounter any snow or ice on the roads this morning, and all the rain has been rain. I don't know how LHR has been doing today, but I suspect that much of the continuing disruption simply involves getting aircraft back to where they need to be to recover the planned flying operation.

So keep an eye on the weather forecast, and remember that the forecast can change as quickly as the weather can.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
BA affected by far the most due to it's hub being impacted so domino affect on flights with crews and planes all over the place. Other airlines seem ok, friend's A3 flight to ATH today perfectly on time although BA still has his suitcase from yesterday. He has spoken to them and they will send it to ATH for him despite him flying another carrier.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:56 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Just leaving T5 on the tube. Was on one of the few non-cancelled MUC flights (12.05). Checked in online, went to the airport, dropped off my bags with agent telling me flight is delayed until 1.11. Head to security, where BP gives error message — you guessed it, flight cancelled. Two minutes later receive text/email. Great timing of course, as ONE supervisor supposed to handle bag returns downstairs is surrounded by a large crowd and tells people to file a claim and have their bags delivered home. (I know I’ll be lucky to see them before Christmas, having experienced BA’s handling of these situations in the past). Rebooked by BA for Wednesday, but will probably try easy tomorrow instead.

To address some of the questions asked above —T5 was a lot less busy than I expected. Long lines for rebooking for sure, but bag drop took 5 minutes (oh, if only there’d been a longer line!). Announcements to go home and call if your flight’s been cancelled. The weather not amazing, but obviously nothing that should cause such chaos.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The big problem yesterday was that the weather forecast had not included snow in London.
You sometimes see interesting possibilities if you look at the UK and regional time projection maps on BBC. On Saturday night there was an isolated snow area coming in over Guilford towards home (a few miles south of LHR), but not forecast to give snow on us. Because of that I wasn't very surprised to then see snow falling Sunday morning, so hopefully LHR weren't either.

They had the tractors with snow blades / gritters(?) lined up when I landed on Thursday evening, so again it'd be good to think they were still ready for action.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Im booked on the 1920 LBA-LHR this evening. What are my chances? Will this service run?

Taking the 0700 to FRA tomorrow so I just need to get to LHR..even if it means that the train...

The earlier BA tell me of any cancellation, the earlier I can get my train sorted!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by kosy91
Im booked on the 1920 LBA-LHR this evening. What are my chances? Will this service run?

Taking the 0700 to FRA tomorrow so I just need to get to LHR..even if it means that the train...

The earlier BA tell me of any cancellation, the earlier I can get my train sorted!
Get the train... Even if it goes, it could have severe delays, and I'm sure you'd prefer to be in a hotel nice and early for a 7am flight.
Ldnn1 and kosy91 like this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: Finnair Gold, BA Gold, LH FTL
Update on #291
Despite Fabrizio trying to help me (thanks again) and a call to BA Gold hotline I did not get anything better to ZRH than tomorrow 12th at 15.15 and even worse for my brother to HAJ 20.15
Bought some essentials and booked another hotel night now.
I wonder how BA will handle all my costs, especially the two extra holidays I need to take which cost a lot of money.
As there are BA flights leaving today and they just did not get us on these I would assume that EU261 also should be a topic once again. Or can they still blame the weather that we cannot fly home today?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by HKCH
I wonder how BA will handle all my costs, especially the two extra holidays I need to take which cost a lot of money.
They will absolutely not pay your work holiday costs. Not even worth asking.

They will pay your hotel, food and transfer expenses as required to do under EU261.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.