Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's “Right to care” provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), £200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. £50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Currently sat in Zagreb waiting on my flight to leave London!! Come on BA848 you can do it.....!!!

aks120
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I realise that was a joke but other people were presumably booked on that flight! I’m on the BA1345 today (having taken the BA1342 yesterday) which is hanging on to the schedule currently and oddly not that busy at the moment (should presumably change shortly if they’re moving part of the earlier flight onto it).
The last domestic southbounds from MAN/LBA are never usually too busy. However you are right BA1345 today is now looking quite full.

J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 Y2 B2 H2 K2 M2 L0 V0 N0 Q0 O0 S0 G2
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
So boarding BA429 at AMS at 11:30 never happened. No news from the gate to the lounge but it has moved from gate D2 next door to D4!

It has been snowing for a bit here. Not settling though but visibility isn’t great
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Been sat on the tarmac 90 mins so far LHR-GVA. Last update was another hour at least.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Finally onboard 429 now to find 2F using 2D (my seat) as his personal storage space then 2A ramming his hard case against my soft bag in the overhead locker to fit it in!

Should make BA9, subject to any ground delays. By the sounds of it, some from the cancelled flights were moved to this and some people have been upgraded to CE.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Snowing consistently in west London.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Spoke too soon 😕 Salzburg back showing 80 mins delay and a look at the board shows precious few flights actually boarding or even with gate numbers.
Basically everything on the first couple of screens now showing delayed or cancelled.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:45 am

No love - or de-icer for BA 728. Crew have done a drinks and nuts run for all but I fear we are headed for cancellation
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Snowing consistently in west London.
Now it is stopping, so fingers crossed, the worst is over, although the impact will no doubt be felt for some time....
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
Sitting on BA982 (LHR-TXL) at the moment, waiting to be de-iced. Scheduled departure time was 0955, unlikely to reach the front of the de-icing queue until at least 1135.
The aircraft thawed before the de-icers reached us, but we've now been waiting 45 minutes for a pushback tug.

A bit of sleet and Heathrow falls apart. ☹

And a further update... now we do, after all, have to be de-iced. 😭
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
Delays at LHR this morning (10 Dec)- how to de-ice more efficiently

I'm currently in Dublin doing an ex-EU trip to the US. And it seems that the snow this morning has caused considerable delays in LHR, and as usual long haul is prioritised over short haul flights. I am almost certainly going to miss my connection which is departing on time (and I take this risk of missed connections when booking ex-EU).

My question is this; do LHR have enough de-icing machines? My understanding from ground staff at Dublin is that whilst a lot of aircraft are loaded and ready to go, there is a several hour wait for de-icing at LHR. That seems a bit crazy. I know LHR deals with exceptionally high volumes of traffic, but de-icing seems to be a real bottle neck when there is freezing weather. How do other major airports cope (FRA/AMS?), and what options to improve does LHR have?

Thanks,
Mr. "Bored in the lounge and fed up eating Irish potato salad"!

Last edited by OnslowSW7; Dec 10, 2017 at 5:45 am Reason: better thread title
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:12 am

Any advice? I'm waiting for the 1020 DUS-LHR (BA937) which is consistently getting further delayed and all flights later today are showing as cancelled. There's a City flight later today which isn't showing as cancelled and would be slightly better for me getting home. Alternatively I'm looking at Eurostar via Brussels to get home today.

The weather here is a lot worse than in London but I guess they are used to it!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by LSunbury
No love - or de-icer for BA 728. Crew have done a drinks and nuts run for all but I fear we are headed for cancellation
Now 2.5 hours since boarding and no further news. Mood on board not as chilled as it was earlier
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Dear Mr. "Bored in the lounge and fed up eating Irish potato salad",

Here's something for you to read while you wait:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...er-2017-a.html

In terms of deicing machines, it's certainly the case that the sheer lack of space in LHR means that delays can build up, since it takes 15 odd minutes to de-ice an aircraft, and once de-iced it needs to take off fairly quickly to prevent the ice coming back. With hundreds of aircraft a day there are limits to the potential miracles there. Smaller airports, with more space, are able to handle this better. I don't think AMS or FRA are any materially better or worse than LHR, the problem is essentially the same.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
Thanks CWS- insightful as usual.

I am beginning to see a market opportunity for mobile deicing machines that can do their stuff at the gate while passengers board... I am sure smarter people than I have thought of this, and probably hasnt happened because the deicing fluid is probably nasty stuff that needs to be done in a special area.

Mr. "you are never bored if you have flyertalk to amuse you"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.