Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's “Right to care” provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), £200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. £50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer

absolutely. I am not too far west of Heathrow and there is hardly any wind here. The snow is coming down almost perfectly vertically into my garden.
Planes don't fly at ground level though?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
So why not use them?
They are, but even if you had all the rigs in the world with a 20/60 flight rate (50% of usual rate) you've still got 50% of the flight programme with nowhere to go.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Deleted.

A stupid comment that I made without reading the preceding posts and before I realised the extent of the chaos that was unfolding at LHR.

Last edited by WickedStepMother; Dec 11, 2017 at 3:09 am Reason: I am an idiot
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Orange.Man
https://twitter.com/eurocontrol/stat...66993524854784

I imagine they know what they're talking about, also you've made the classic passenger mistake that everything is solely based off the reported weather at the airfield. The winds at 2k,3k,4k,5k,6k can be a hell of a lot faster than what is on the ground. To give you a clue, about 10 days ago, Heathrow was reporting a nice westerly wind at 15 knots, pretty much straight down the runway, However approach controllers were having to deal with a crosswind of over 70 knots between the northern stacks (holding patterns) and final approach.

https://www.public.nm.eurocontrol.in...pec/index.html - Also if you follow this it shows the current delays in minutes across Europe.
Fair enough. At 3000ft the wind is about 16kts from the north.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:57 am

Are they still de-icing on stand or did they move to pans (a la MUC and other continental airports)?

i see to remember this was a recommendation of the report into the Snowmaggedon a few years ago.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Boarded the Salzburg flight around 30 mins ago and chief of the cabin crew (sorry, can never remember the correct terminology) told me we’re looking at a couple of hours before we can go.

Interestingly, the pilot subsequently came out to the front of the cabin to update everyone, saying it would be a minimum of an hour, and possibly a lot longer, before we could go. He won a round of applause for being open and honest. He also invited anyone with questions to come up to the cabin to talk to him. 2 people so far have taken him at his word.
This is GREAT work in my opinion - and a real time workshop in crisis comms.
Good stuff, BA.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Having said that, a round of drinks wouldn’t go amiss while we wait 😀👍🍺
#youcanalwaysimprove
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by 13900
HAL has invested millions in tools and equipment, bought the entire John Deer and Vestergaard catalogue and yet for less than 5 cm of snow LHR is operating one runway down and there are delays of hours for de-icing. Flow rate is 20/60 and the airlines have been asked to make drastic cuts.

I cannot believe that every time a toad burps around the LHR area it all falls flat on its arse. Meanwhile, down at the notoriously tropical Gatwick, there has been only one cancellation due to snow at AMS. I'm no fan of GAL, having dealt with them, but they do something better than Heathrow.
Or more likely the fact that it has stayed well above 0 degrees and hasn't snowed at Gatwick don't you think?
​​
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Not on BA, but arrived on AC 858 today, and did not alight until 2 hours after the scheduled arrival time. Now it’s almost 45 minutes since deplaning and no bags in sight on the baggage carousel. Heathrow is truly a disaster when the slightest flurries come down. Tarmac was wet with a bit of slush, not much snow from the looks of it. And of course no info from Heathrow on how long of a delay to expect for the bags.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
While I am unsure about the current strength of the winds, this tweet is from two days ago. I don't see anything more recent on their feed.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Here is a EuroControl report from earlier today, "not available" means "not happening".

Tactical Update

Update published: 10/12/2017 09:26

Airports

EGLL (London Heathrow)
Arrivals regulated due to weather (SNOW).
Very high delays after 1300 UTC.
Regulation extended until 2300 UTC.

EGGW (London Luton)
Arrivals not available between 0910 until 1400 due to weather ( HEAVY SNOW).
Very high delays after 1400 UTC and regulation extended until the end of the day.

EGSS (London Stansted)
Very high delays after 1300 UTC due to very low acceptance rate from 0900-1400 UTC.
Regulation extended until 2300 UTC.

EGBB (Birmingham)
Arrivals not available due to weather (HEAVY SNOW) until 1200 UTC followed by the low rate regulation.
Moderate to high delays after 1200 UTC.

EGNX ( East Midlands)
Arrivals not available due to weather (HEAVY SNOW) until 1200 UTC followed by the low rate regulation.
Low delays after 1200 UTC.

EHAM (Amsterdam)
Very high delays starting at 1000 UTC and regulation extended until 2359 UTC.
According to the meteo forecast no improvement expected .

EDDF (Frankfurt)
Moderate to high delays.

LSGG (Geneva)
Moderate to high delays.

GCRR (Lanzarote)
Arrivals regulated due to aerodrome capacity.
Moderate delays starting at 1330 UTC.

LTBA (Istanbul Ataturk)
Arrivals regulated due to weather( WIND)
Moderate delays.

Airspace
No significant delays.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
BA429 has arrived at LHR - now been told all the gates are full and may be a substantial wait. It says BA9 is still on time but I doubt it.

Oh well
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Managed to read rest of the thread! I guess I will get away on BA9 at some point today/tonight maybe!

my first proper irrops!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:31 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by manymany
BA429 has arrived at LHR - now been told all the gates are full and may be a substantial wait. It says BA9 is still on time but I doubt it.

Oh well
If you're still onboard, you've likely missed conformance for BA9 (scheduled to depart at 15:05)...but hopefully you've got other preferred routing options lined up.

Someone brighter than me, will likely be able to advise whether conformance is 'waived' for delayed flights. So, if BA9 is delayed by 1 hour, would conformance allow the OP to make it?

M
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
If you're still onboard, you've likely missed conformance for BA9 (scheduled to depart at 15:05)...but hopefully you've got other preferred routing options lined up.

Someone brighter than me, will likely be able to advise whether conformance is 'waived' for delayed flights. So, if BA9 is delayed by 1 hour, would conformance allow the OP to make it?
I think it's been confirmed before that conformance for a departing flight can be a moveable feast if the flight is delayed. At the moment, BA9 does not even have an ETD showing in EF, so the OP may yet make it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.