Wiki Posts
Search

IAG "circling Monarch assets"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
I'm no fan, but I refer you to comments from Mr O'Leary on 1 Sept...

“Both Monarch and Norwegian are in trouble. It’s an open secret among airlines that Monarch and Norwegian may not survive through the winter. They are burning cash.

Caveat Emptor
But did he foresee his own troubles????

Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by irishguy28
But did he foresee his own troubles????

Clearly not. But the sudden availability of a number of Airbus rated pilots doesn’t help him either. It does help BA and EasyJet though should they be requiring some extra pilots.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that the flights are being provided by the government (or more accurately CAA using the ATOL funds) and operated by EasyJet (under contract) rather than EasyJet paying the cost of the rescue flights.
Indeed it is reported upthread that the CAA has contracted with Titan who are sub contracting with the likes of Easyjet, Transat and whoever else has capacity. This includes BA who in turn are sub contracting to QR.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I suspect that the flights are being provided by the government (or more accurately CAA using the ATOL funds) and operated by EasyJet (under contract) rather than EasyJet paying the cost of the rescue flights.
of course, that's what I meant - sorry for not being clear.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by simons1
Indeed it is reported upthread that the CAA has contracted with Titan who are sub contracting with the likes of Easyjet, Transat and whoever else has capacity. This includes BA who in turn are sub contracting to QR.
Yes, my point is that EasyJet is not "providing" the rescue flights as some other entity is paying EasyJet (and other carrier through CAA etc.) to operate these flights.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I'm no fan, but I refer you to comments from Mr O'Leary on 1 Sept...

“Both Monarch and Norwegian are in trouble. It’s an open secret among airlines that Monarch and Norwegian may not survive through the winter. They are burning cash.

Caveat Emptor
Norwegian? Really?? I thought they were on to something that only the low cost airlines had a talent for turning to their advantage.

Could BA not somehow keep the Monarch brand alive and use it to run services from regional UK airports, a bit like Lufthansa did with germanwings and Eurowings?
allturnleft and PJSMITH0 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Yes, my point is that EasyJet is not "providing" the rescue flights as some other entity is paying EasyJet (and other carrier through CAA etc.) to operate these flights.
They are providing the flights as in delivering the service.

They are not providing the flights as in footing the bill.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Out of interest how long would it take for an A320 Captain to be certified to command a 737?
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:10 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Swampz64
Out of interest how long would it take for an A320 Captain to be certified to command a 737?
Are you "asking for a friend called Michael"?

M
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Swampz64
8 weeks.Trouble is there are not enough trainers.Ryanair could maybe take 6 per week.Not an instant fix.

Even if BA did not need the pilots now,they may consider employing them to stop them going to Ryanair.
Calchas and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Originally Posted by rapidex
Even if BA did not need the pilots now,they may consider employing them to stop them going to Ryanair.
That sounds far too forward thinking for BA!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Think between EI, BA and U2 there won't be many unemployed flight deck crew by the end of the week.

cs
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Sadly, if Monarch are still flying by the end of the week I'd be amazed.
Originally Posted by DangerM55
I'll be surprised if they're still operating this time tomorrow...
Prescient…
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto
Could BA not somehow keep the Monarch brand alive and use it to run services from regional UK airports, a bit like Lufthansa did with germanwings and Eurowings?
To what end?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
While I'm sure it would be nice, you can get a Flybe flight to LGW then the continent, with BA codeshare of course, or in some instances you can do BA direct to the continent so I don't see the point in keeping Monarch alive aside from saving jobs which is pointless if you can't sustain the airline financially.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.