Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG "circling Monarch assets"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by gw76
Very historical now but images of MAN runway fire always go through my mind with any thought of British Airtours, so wouldnt pass my PR ‘blue sky thinking’ brand meeting...
Not sure Thomas Cook would be that impressed with another operator using the Airtours name either.

Monarch has a reasonable brand and if IAG could do a quick deal then it would not be too damaged, particularly if the BA name can be leveraged to give customers reassurance about the financial stability of the airline.

Assuming the lease costs are at the market rate, I still think the planes are not so much of an issue (and indeed could be attractive for a buyer), although it will depend on any change of control clauses. IAG/BA would be a better covenant for any lease company than Monarch (presumably Greybull would not every have even contemplated underwriting an aircraft lease?).
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
Monarch have:

10x A320 - all leased
25x A321 - 14 leased
, acquiring the business may be a way of BA/IAG getting their hands on some planes (that are a good fit to the group strategy) relatively quickly.
Are BA looking for more short-haul aircraft, especially short-haul with the Current Engine Option (I assume none of the Monarch fleet are NEO, as Monarch have been heading for the financial rocks for quite a while)? I expect they have some orders for the future, but are they trying again to get hold of aircraft sooner than that?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:26 pm

I flew back from Naples with Monarch earlier in the summer (due to the unjustifiable pricing from BA) and the crew were professional and more friendly than some recent ba experiences, so I'm sure some them could be a good addition to IAG.

The airframes are quite old, but probably relatively few cycles for their age so I guess they could be attractive too.

Having lived in Birmingham I think it would be great to see BA take some of these slots, but I suspect the Gatwick ones are the main appeal!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 9:54 am
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 9:54 am
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by allturnleft
A shame re Monarch
The last of the old british airline philosophy
They are better than an LCC
Offer pre order hot meals and extra leg room
Put BA Y to shame
They stopped pre order of hot meals a while back now. It's now just a case of buy on board or not to buy on board.

Their extra legroom option is extremely generous for the small supplement and I agree with you it puts BA Y (and to a degree CE) to shame.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Jets were brought in this time last year as well. Don't count their chickens just yet..
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Agree wit the comments re Monarch crews, v professional and would hope some coul find a home with ba. Squeezed middle not a place to be sadly
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:16 pm

Those A321s could be an attractive short term swap into Heathrow for A320s or even A319s

Anecdotally speaking I think the "middle class" leisure sector does well for BA - high prices, huge CE cabins, plenty of BoB, luggage fees seat fees etc. Attaching the BA brand to a reasonable sized regional holiday flights would seemingly not be a bad idea on the face of it. There could be other benefits like cutting some night stopping crew from the region's if they operated some domestics etc
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Sadly, if Monarch are still flying by the end of the week I'd be amazed.
I'll be surprised if they're still operating this time tomorrow...
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I feel BA has a privelaged enough position with it's control over so many slots in LHR, even though they would want a third runway to expand their operations (maybe if there was the runway already BA would have taken all of Monarch's assets and expand LHR, they can afford to money wise!), but a third runway would make BA very nervous due to increased compeititon. Could it be imaginable that Norwegian be in LHR with the third runway?
Monarch does not have any slots at LHR (something you've been told before). If they did then there are several other airlines that would be bidding to take Monarch over just for the slots let alone any other assets.

IAG/ BA buying Monarch won't change the slot issue. The Monarch slots at e.g. LGW will remain LGW they can't just be moved over to LHR.

If there is ever a 3rd runway then BA will be at the back of the queue for any additional slots.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Related to this: if passengers get flown back on a QR or BA flight, could they claim miles on a OneWorld FF program for that leg of the journey?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by salut0
Related to this: if passengers get flown back on a QR or BA flight, could they claim miles on a OneWorld FF program for that leg of the journey?
No, it’s just a charter.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:16 pm

Sadly it is all over for Monarch.
Sympathies to all their employees.

https://www.caa.co.uk/News/News-file...dministration/
Jimmie76 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
The CAA press release states that they are chartering 30 aircraft. On looking at the routes provided on their website some of these flights are using BA codes. Perhaps BA is providing aircraft as part of the operation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.