Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG "circling Monarch assets"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
The thing that Monarch has is some very experienced cabin crew. There are a lot of people who have been with the airline for years. Problem is they might be too expensive for Mixed Fleet. No idea how much senior crew at Monarch earn but there are people based in the regions who have been there for years. I always found the service on Monarch to be better than other LCCs. Honestly, it just seemed a bit less pressured (which is probably the problem).

At BHX, Jet2 have expanded aggressively and again shown that people just care about fares.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Could this be an instant re-brand to Level and bringing that to the regions?

I wonder if WW sees FR on the ropes after the kicking they’ve had this week?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
At BHX, Jet2 have expanded aggressively and again shown that people just care about fares.
Agree. If you wanted flights to Portugal or Spain from BHX during the summer, Monarch were ridiculously cheap.

Jet2 have expanded at BHX and they’re also taking on FR at EMA.

I can can only think that WW sees this as a way of picking up some Airbus frames on the cheap, or this is Level with an instant regional infrastructure
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
Oh so the vultures are going to wipe Monarch out of the way now? What's left? Just the cherry on the pie, Virgin Atlantic. You see, this quest to be a monopoly has what has annoyed me about British Airways more than anything else, more than their endless service cuts, more than their plummeting customer service.
Europe has far too many airlines for them all to be profitable. Airlines sadly need to exit the market or be taken over. Monarch I fear is very vulnerable, as I suspect with any rise in oil price, is Norweigian.

We have many, many ex Monarch pilots and cabin crew who saw the writing on the wall...
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Time for the re-birth of British Airtours?
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:34 am
Suspended

My guess is that to convert BA short haul in Gatwick to Vueling UK would be a commercial and brand suicide. But to split the operation to BA cityflyer Gatwick and Monarch would be a success.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by JimEddie
Time for the re-birth of British Airtours?
See Post #3
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Executive club Gold ,Skywards
Speaking to a crew member a couple of weeks ago on my filght to BCN , he told me then that IAG were looking at buying parts of Monarch
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted
Calchas likes this.

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 9:53 am
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 9:53 am
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
If it's IAG, I presume it's possible this could be an IAG operation under the Vueling brand? I can see Vueling might be a better match for the slots Monarch has to offer in the UK.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I think Norwegian is doing fine, I saw their latest accounts and they are profitable even with all that expansion they are doing!
I don't think BA can to take over much of Monarch right now, they do not have so much room to expand as both their main airports LHR and LGW are pretty much packed to the seams and I doubt they would want to have a new base at LTN just for holidays.
Monarch already have a base at LGW and operate out of South so wouldn't be too difficult for BA o take over gates / slots etc.

They have no slots at LHR so that is a non issue. But if Monarch did have slots the total remains the same.

The issue with IAG taking Monarch over will be on the competition / regulatory side.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by jasensteve
Speaking to a crew member a couple of weeks ago on my filght to BCN , he told me then that IAG were looking at buying parts of Monarch
No surprise there, haha
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Europe has far too many airlines for them all to be profitable. Airlines sadly need to exit the market or be taken over. Monarch I fear is very vulnerable, as I suspect with any rise in oil price, is Norweigian.
With the level of debt, a rise in interest rates could be painful for Norwegian too.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by chongcao
My guess is that to convert BA short haul in Gatwick to Vueling UK would be a commercial and brand suicide. But to split the operation to BA cityflyer Gatwick and Monarch would be a success.
I'm sure it would irritate some, particularly those that chase status. But I'm sure LGW is a much more price sensitive market than LHR and doubt it would be commercial suicide.

I expect the issue would be more whether BA pilots' union would tolerate such a move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.