Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG "circling Monarch assets"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
All this talk of the Airbus fleet for IAG etc. but isn't the ZB fleet mostly leased ?

the most valuable assets at ZB are the engineering division and the LGW slots which I'm sure BA/IAG would be interested in along with the staff.

cs
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Europe has far too many airlines for them all to be profitable. Airlines sadly need to exit the market or be taken over. Monarch I fear is very vulnerable, as I suspect with any rise in oil price, is Norweigian.

We have many, many ex Monarch pilots and cabin crew who saw the writing on the wall...
Of course, I agree with you and I know that you know far more about this industry than I ever will. And I accept that Monarch really does not have its house in order and is indeed a very vulnerable case. I also have not forgotten how well BA treated me in the recent airberlin debacle, both at the call centre, on the ground and in the air. Just want to add a bit of spice, as always, and opine that I don't really think there is a huge amount of competition among traditional airlines in the UK. And it's going to go the same way here in Germany with the demise of AB and HG.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I think Norwegian is doing fine,.
That's put the mockers on them being around for long.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
A shame re Monarch
The last of the old british airline philosophy
They are better than an LCC
Offer pre order hot meals and extra leg room
Put BA Y to shame
Greenpen likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I think Norwegian is doing fine, I saw their latest accounts and they are profitable even with all that expansion they are doing!
You need to look a bit deeper. Their margins are absolutely wafer thin and getting worse.

The carrier ended up with a second-quarter operating loss of 863 million crowns. That translated into a net profit of 1 billion thanks only to its 17.5 percent stake in Norwegian Finans Holding (NOFI.OL), a bank it launched to offer customers credit and to run its loyalty program.

One banker who declined to be named said the performance was the result of “increased interest expenses, huge capital expenditure, yields under pressure and aggressive commercial growth based only on market share versus profitability.

The banker said he stopped looking at potential financial exposure to Norwegian Air one to two years ago, partly because the airline did not have enough capital backing its expansion.

Norwegian’s ability to meet its short-term debt obligations is ranked second-worst among European carriers after Croatia Airlines HRAR.ZA, according to Thomson Reuters Eikon data.

Norwegian’s so-called quick ratio, a commonly used indicator of short-term liquidity, is 0.42, less than half the average of regional rivals. Its interest coverage ratio, a measure of how easily it can service outstanding debt, is just 3.2 while the ratio for Ryanair is 25.2. “What gets me with Norwegian ... is the balance sheet could be better. It is so low on equity, so high on debt, it would be safer if they had a bit more equity behind it,” said James Halstead, a managing partner at consultancy Aviation Strategy.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...-idUSKBN1AA1MR
Stez likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
All this talk of the Airbus fleet for IAG etc. but isn't the ZB fleet mostly leased ?

the most valuable assets at ZB are the engineering division and the LGW slots which I'm sure BA/IAG would be interested in along with the staff.

cs
According to airfleets.net, Monarch have:

10x A320 - all leased
25x A321 - 14 leased
1x 737-800 next gen - looks like this is owned

The thing to note is that at the end of August, Airbus had an order backlog of 5,520 A318/319/320/321 aircraft. This is around 12 years worth of production at current rates (although the current wait time is probably less than this). Whilst many of the Monarch planes are leased, acquiring the business may be a way of BA/IAG getting their hands on some planes (that are a good fit to the group strategy) relatively quickly.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:42 pm

Sadly, if Monarch are still flying by the end of the week I'd be amazed.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: OWS, *A G
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Monarch I fear is very vulnerable, as I suspect with any rise in oil price, is Norweigian.
I don't think the oil price will change within the next 3-4 years, save for a fundamental change in demand. This current range appears to be the new equilibrium thanks to the US shale oil producers' cost structure and quick ability to respond to price changes.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
The assets may be the profitable engineering arm, MAEL. New hangar at BHX too. Would allow some breathing space with little capital outlay?

Airbus fleet is leased and BA would have little interest in the 737 MAX order. British Airtours would be a nice idea, closer to the brand than Caledonian.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Here's a map of Monarch's routes:

The things that Monarch does - that BA does not do - are:
- direct non London UK routes, if we exclude the thin BACF offering
- a fairly small list of non BA destinations: Preveza, Ovda, Almería and arguably Lapland. Indeed it is noticeable that many of BA's new routes are to Monarch's locations (e.g. FDH, SPU, FNC). So slots maybe, routes I think not.
- Luton
- Greater holiday integration including a lot of self catering.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by skipness1E
The assets may be the profitable engineering arm, MAEL. New hangar at BHX too. Would allow some breathing space with little capital outlay?

Airbus fleet is leased and BA would have little interest in the 737 MAX order. British Airtours would be a nice idea, closer to the brand than Caledonian.
Very historical now but images of MAN runway fire always go through my mind with any thought of British Airtours, so wouldnt pass my PR ‘blue sky thinking’ brand meeting...
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:21 pm

Several more QR 320's airborne for UK...
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:28 pm
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Slightly related... 5 QR jets are inbounds for LGW due to arrive 330am presumably for all the atol protected passengers that need to be bought home
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List
Originally Posted by linzbh
Slightly related... 5 QR jets are inbounds for LGW due to arrive 330am presumably for all the atol protected passengers that need to be bought home
at least 3 on their way to BHX too
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by zat_dude
I don't think the oil price will change within the next 3-4 years, save for a fundamental change in demand.
The fuel price can change if there is a fundamental change in the exchange rate of GBP to USD. A mainly UK-origin airline like Monarch will have income in GBP and fuel costs converted from USD (by them, or by the fuel refiner who bought the crude to refine it, or someone else along the way from oil well to fuel tank). The more the British economy and trade stability declines, the worse that's going to get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.