Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG "circling Monarch assets"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by tamalien
Sadly it is all over for Monarch.
Sympathies to all their employees.

https://www.caa.co.uk/News/News-file...dministration/
+1

Sad to see another long standing airline fail.

Good luck to the employees.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:02 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Sad. I flew with them ALC - LGW as their fares were ridiculously cheap even at short notice and I had to be in London urgently. BA wanted a fortune. I thought that they were OK - nothing special one way or another. It's very sad for the people who worked there - and I imagine that Cityjet won't be long for this world either after their third sale in as many weeks and practically no routes to speak of.

The one that none none of you have mentioned is Vueling. I'd think that Monarch's legacy would fit neatly into their frame.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted
mradey likes this.

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 9:54 am
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:35 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
A question here; who is paying for all of that?
Who cares? ATOL for some, the rest is probably the taxpayer. What do you recommend? Leave them stranded aboard ?
Jimmie76, Andriyko and 'andad like this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
The one that none none of you have mentioned is Vueling.
?? See post 21, 26, 30....
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
FT members wishing to discuss the non-BA aspects of the Monarch collapse are requested to head over to the FT Other European Alrlines forum and post there.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by madfish
The CAA press release states that they are chartering 30 aircraft. On looking at the routes provided on their website some of these flights are using BA codes. Perhaps BA is providing aircraft as part of the operation.
Yes, we are, but using Qatar aircraft just the same as we did during the strike. It has been a testing night at BA engineering as nobody thought to tell us they were coming. All of a sudden we have extra jets in the fleet!

To answer the question above, the CAA and their ATOL scheme are paying, out of the levies made on package holiday sales. The contract for all these rescue flights has been awarded to Titan, who are using their own aircraft as well as chartering BA (who have in turn sub contracted to Qatar), and also air transat of Canada are providing 4 aircraft by some accounts (1xA310 and 3xA330).

I have no idea how many QR aircraft BA now have, I was told 5 initially but upon looking in our system we were showing ten, some operating from BHX where we don't even have engineers... I wasn't provided an answer before I went off shift at 0630 UKL...

They are all operating empty (positioning flights with a 'P' on the flight number) for the outbound legs, these flights are purely for bringing people home.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Who cares? ATOL for some, the rest is probably the taxpayer. What do you recommend? Leave them stranded aboard ?
There is currently £140 MILLION in the ATOL trust fund administered by the CAA desogned for this very type of incident.

The trust is funded by a £2.50 per person levy on each holiday booking.

It is kept separate from the normal CAA budget.

What it does not cover (and nor does the tax payer) are those on flight only bookings - they will have to rely in their travel insurance / credit card protection.
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
A question here; who is paying for all of that?
Passengers. It costs £2.50 per passenger for ATOL protection. Basically an insurance scheme.
Calchas and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:02 am

Talking

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
747 circling the ZB head office ?

cs
Haha!..love it!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Deleted
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
What it does not cover (and nor does the tax payer) are those on flight only bookings - they will have to rely in their travel insurance / credit card protection.
Not for those being repatriated. The CAA flights are seemingly being provided FOC to all ZB passengers currently abroad for the next fortnight, whether ATOL protected or not.

Dominic Casciani made a mistake on Today this morning when he said flight-only pax will have to pay for repatriation. There is nothing in the CAA statement to suggest that.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
That is £127 for each stranded passenger!

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There is currently £140 MILLION in the ATOL trust fund administered by the CAA desogned for this very type of incident.

Admittedly non BA comment so stand admonished.

But methinks the ATOL fund might also be going bust!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Not for those being repatriated. The CAA flights are seemingly being provided FOC to all ZB passengers currently abroad for the next fortnight, whether ATOL protected or not.

Dominic Casciani made a mistake on Today this morning when he said flight-only pax will have to pay for repatriation. There is nothing in the CAA statement to suggest that.
If you are due back on or before 15/10 the CAA is paying. If you have a non ATOL booking after that you are on your own.

The CAA is not paying for put of pocket costs for non ATOL either.

There was some generic comment on the Fail website about IAG but clearly overtaken by events now.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dai...d-Monarch.html
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Modo
Admittedly non BA comment so stand admonished.

But methinks the ATOL fund might also be going bust!
I doubt it.

110,000 travellers abroad x £127 is £14m not £140m.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.