FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   IAG "circling Monarch assets" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1869756-iag-circling-monarch-assets.html)

simons1 Oct 1, 2017 7:22 am

IAG "circling Monarch assets"

According to Sky News at the moment.

cornishsimon Oct 1, 2017 7:27 am

747 circling the ZB head office ?

cs

T8191 Oct 1, 2017 7:32 am

"BA Holidays to get own airline, freeing other BA assets for normal route traffic." ??

But how well would ZB's airframes fit with the rest of BA's fleet? Oh, mainly Airbus ... the 737 Max order could be an issue, though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarch_Airlines

Hodders Oct 1, 2017 7:33 am

Given a significant amount of Monarch's assets are currently in the air, I have visions of BA a/c barrel rolling around them...who knows where the G&Ts will end up!

Concerto Oct 1, 2017 7:55 am

Oh so the vultures are going to wipe Monarch out of the way now? What's left? Just the cherry on the pie, Virgin Atlantic. You see, this quest to be a monopoly has what has annoyed me about British Airways more than anything else, more than their endless service cuts, more than their plummeting customer service.

Globaliser Oct 1, 2017 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 28880217)
Oh so the vultures are going to wipe Monarch out of the way now? What's left?

Oh, yes, this nasty British Airways is single-handedly responsible for the plight that Monarch finds itself in. I'm sure.

HIDDY Oct 1, 2017 8:00 am

All I can see BA being interested in is offering Monarch staff a job. There's nothing else worth having is there?

TabTraveller Oct 1, 2017 8:00 am

Oh so the vultures are going to wipe Monarch out of the way now? What's left? Just the cherry on the pie, Virgin Atlantic. You see, this quest to be a monopoly has what has annoyed me about British Airways more than anything else, more than their endless service cuts, more than their plummeting customer service.

I don't follow. There is more competition than ever before. Ryanair, easyJet, Norwegian? VS very much remains part of DL's (and now KLM/AF) empire.

What was the point in Monarch anyway? It didn't seem to know whether it was competing with Thomas Cook, easyJet or BA.

TabTraveller Oct 1, 2017 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 28880225)
Oh, yes, this nasty British Airways is single-handedly responsible for the plight that Monarch finds itself in. I'm sure.

You mean those arses at Waterside might want to save some jobs and take over some routes/aircraft? Horrid people.

simons1 Oct 1, 2017 8:25 am

Interesting explanations given by Simon Calder earlier on.

It went along the lines of:

* Monarch were heavily committed to Sharm el Sheikh which blew up
* They were also heavily committed to Turkey which slowed big time after the uprising last year
* As a result they unloaded capacity onto Spain and Portugal routes
* This resulted in fierce competition there which they are struggling to withstand
* Prices are the lowest in real terms for years - I think the example quoted was LBA to Spain £40 return in middle of August

As Monarch has quadrupled most flight prices today to apparently deter bookings it doesn't look great.

Would there be a fit with IAG? Arguably. Depends which routes/assets we are talking about. EasyJet is also believed to have shown interest too, I would have thought that was a better match.

corporate-wage-slave Oct 1, 2017 8:30 am

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 28880303)
Would there be a fit with IAG? Arguably. Depends which routes/assets we are talking about. EasyJet is also believed to have shown interest too, I would have thought that was a better match.

I think your final sentence provides the answer to the first question.

PJSMITH0 Oct 1, 2017 8:36 am

It would be great if they operated some of the Monarch scheduled flights from MAN to Europe and perhaps we could ke Monarch 34" leg room for the first eight rows in CE��

Sixth Freedom Oct 1, 2017 8:39 am

I have met and worked with a few people who Monarch hired into senior commercial positions and my impressions were not good - they were not bad at their jobs, but not very good either. What they were good at was talking nonsense. Based on these hiring decisions, I will not be surprised if they do go bust.

AlanA Oct 1, 2017 8:46 am

Too,late, Delta has already picked that cherry

Prospero Oct 1, 2017 8:51 am

Here is a link to the Sky News article: http://news.sky.com/story/ba-parent-...oubts-11063003
Sky News has learnt that International Airlines Group has expressed an interest in acquiring some of Monarch's take-off and landing slots, fleet and crew - raising hopes that some jobs can be salvaged if the UK's fifth-biggest airline does collapse into administration.

The emergence of IAG, which declined to comment, as a suitor, is likely to raise hopes that at least some of Monarch's flight crews will see their jobs salvaged.