Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well, the way it was put to me is that imagine you are assembling a trolley with several hundred items on it, all with particular locations and layout specifications. Then imagine having to do that in a different kitchen every day of the week - where you can only guess where everything is stored, but can't be entirely certain. Plus the kitchen supplier every so often puts someone else's groceries into random locations. Over the years I've seen BA's crew assemble CW catering probably several hundred times, and yet if I had to volunteer to step in to replace an ailing crew member, I doubt there would be much food served before Newfoundland. It really is a lot more complex than it looks. It's a genuine pity they couldn't get the timings to work, in my view, there is/was something unique about the arrangement of the dessert trolley in particular which you don't get on other airlines but as with everything in aviation, time is of the essence.
which makes you wonder why bother with the JFK trial at all, if it did nt work but continued regardless?
only at BA.
that says so much about senior management that line managers won’t admit to mistakes early. It’s a terrible indicator of management
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:03 am

It just seems to me that it shouldn't be so complicated to design a process that works for the crew but also allows passengers to see their options before selecting. Maybe its an etagere fitted to the top of a classic trolley, so the majority of portions remain in the trolley, but as its wheeled through the aisle passengers can see the available choices (although they may be too high). Maybe its a redesigned trolley where the sides are popped off to reveal the options inside etc.

I entirely agree that whatever they've been doing is obviously too complicated, as service times on some flights have remained very slow even months after roll-out - its too bad they couldn't find a way to make this work.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
... as with everything in aviation, time is of the essence.
They could fly slower People make decisions based on stop-overs and transit times but I've not known anyone really look to see if one airline gets to the destination half an hour quicker than another.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
They could fly slower People make decisions based on stop-overs and transit times but I've not known anyone really look to see if one airline gets to the destination half an hour quicker than another.
since making the change the AA142 does seem to go faster and take less time than the BA178, so its already being done
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:36 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by makin'miles
I don't understand why they would spec such a complicated trolley... you can get a wheelchair or baby stroller that pops together in 20 seconds. How long were these taking to put together?
It could be the Do & Co sales job worked on BA. Do &. Co did a trial with CX with this super elaborate trolley thing that plates were balanced in. But CX didn’t go ahead with it.

It it looks similar (but different) to the BA starters setup.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post25689472
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Here is a thought, could there not be a set of photos for the menu uploaded onto the IFE system and crew just have to flag which items are on that flight
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by DFB_london

which makes you wonder why bother with the JFK trial at all, if it did nt work but continued regardless?
only at BA.
that says so much about senior management that line managers won’t admit to mistakes early. It’s a terrible indicator of management
In the vast majority of cases it did work.
Internally there is a lot of surprise, and even anger, about the coming changes.

These views are my own and not those of my employer.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
I don't feel too strongly about this, assuming I am still able to order however many of the starters I want, and am proactively encouraged to choose both cheese and dessert. Rather than the improved presentation of meals, that was the main positive of the trolley for me: it made the service more generous. If it's back to the crew expecting passengers to only choose one of each course when the orders are taken, we really will be very close to being back at square 1.

I really do hope that they don't remove the option of self-mixing your drinks. I'm very fussy about this and I presume that this is true of many people who take the consumption of alcohol seriously! The fact that the service standard is now a 25ml serving of gin topped up liberally with tonic in that large glass chills me to the bone, quite frankly. I shall continue to ask for the gin and tonic to be served separately until I'm told I can't (and then I shall complain vociferously through every avenue open to me).
NoY and mikeyfly like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy

I really do hope that they don't remove the option of self-mixing your drinks.
This will still be an option, as will asking for the full measure premixed if you usually use the whole can too. You can even ask for two if you do it nicely .

A big part of the new service was about customer choice, such as the salad or additional starters (if available). I think it would be a shame if we lose this ethos in the drive to make the service as swift as possible.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BAWatson
In the vast majority of cases it did work.
Internally there is a lot of surprise, and even anger, about the coming changes.

These views are my own and not those of my employer.
yep the once a year boat people loved it. But that won’t pay BAs bills.

However, anyone with work to do doesn’t like to spend 3.5 hours for a cold starter, soup from a thermos, a reheated meal and desert and cheese.

the service was so slow as stated before I avoided BA after two of these and clearly I was not alone if the trolley farce is being abandoned. When a service pattern manages to add staff cost and increase customer frustration then something needs to give. So well done to whoever it is in BA who has finally decided to end this farce. The same food but served quicker seems so obvious one still wonders why it took a year. Clearly Mr Cruz still has a lot of blockers he needs to shake out.

You only had to watch the upper deck carry on needed to create this ‘display’ to realise it did nt work (meanwhile everyone was left looking at an empty food tray for 40-50 minutes).

I’d suggest that anyone internally disappointed clearly never had to be subjected to this frustratingly slow service, which if there is disappointment shows how out of touch some are internally with what the paying frequent customer wants? (Would these be the same people who bought 320NEO galleys too small from the pre September club Europe food - now cut back?)
NYLON Boy and AnaTravel like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:16 pm

I'm not a fan of trolley service and don't need to see a meal to order from the menu. I don't like it on any airline, it's not just BA. Others like this, I know. What is important to me is quick and efficient service and good quality food. Does BA ever bother to properly consult with the crews having to deliver the food? Rather than roll out a trolley service I'd rather have them invest in facilities so that I can have a chilled glass of champagne before departure. Not the flat warm liquid I have sent back on too many flights. Spending money to ensure consistency of service and product would mean more to customers like me. On a CE flight last month the FA serving the section I was in was superb. Flawless service and attitude. She worked so hard. It is staff like her that are let down when others deliver service that falls below standard (as well as customers).
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:17 pm

There may have been some issues with the service but I've never seen it take longer than 2.5 hours, which is comparable to old service (which I've actually seen take longer)

The trolley isn't for everyone, but crew were heavily involved in the design and there are many crew who deliver the service properly and in a timely manner. It isn't just managers, who have been heavily involved, that are disappointed, but also crew who have been proud to deliver the new service.

We'll see how the new standards work, but I fear it'll be faster service but you'll never see a second drink.

​​​​​​​Again, thoughts are my own .
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There may have been some issues with the service but I've never seen it take longer than 2.5 hours, which is comparable to old service (which I've actually seen take longer)

The trolley isn't for everyone, but crew were heavily involved in the design and there are many crew who deliver the service properly and in a timely manner. It isn't just managers, who have been heavily involved, that are disappointed, but also crew who have been proud to deliver the new service.
indeed and it is entirely possible to deliver in a reasonable time with trolleys. my first experience earlier this year on the UD was that it was all completed in about 1.5 hours
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29637236-post1137.html
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques

We'll see how the new standards work, but I fear it'll be faster service but you'll never see a second drink.

Again, thoughts are my own .
It was a terrible service designed by people who did not have the experience or skills to do so and back by the many brown nosers we have within in BA.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by KARFA
indeed and it is entirely possible to deliver in a reasonable time with trolleys. my first experience earlier this year on the UD was that it was all completed in about 1.5 hours
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29637236-post1137.html
This echoes my own experience. After a slow DXB shortly after the new service was introduced, the meal service on subsequently CW flights (mainly HKG and east coast USA) have been promptly delivered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.