Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Tacky they may well be but I think they're far more hygienic. IB have always served nuts or olives in bowls with the post departure drinks which I enjoyed until I came across an olive which had what looked like teeth marks in it. Put me right off them and got me wondering if they were slinging uneaten ones back into the jar for the return journey.

Nice to see some Argentine vino on the menu.
Not yet encountered a pre-nibbled nut on AA. I shall report here when/if it occurs

Concur on the Argie vino, though. We both prefer New World wines to the French stuff (usually), although we tend to pass on US Chardonnay
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Again I'm very pleased with the reaction to this thread, which has had a lot of hits in the last few hours. Thank you for all the kind words.

Originally Posted by MPH1980
*slightly* disappointed the club kitchen is still the same, but you can't have everything at once!
I have say this is looking daft, both in terms of the "fun" sized Mars bars after the fine dining menu and the implausibility of anyone being hungry at that point. But it was really more useful on the longer flights where there could be a 4 hour gap on a 10 hour flight. Personally I would change this to the popcorn, crisps, some Do&Co extras from the dessert trolley (strawberries would be a good one) and perhaps some Do&Co biscuits/mini cakes. If there were adequate supplies of 2 fresh, 2 sweet and 2 savoury top quality items they could junk the rest.

Originally Posted by Geordie405
From your report it seems as if the crew were as excited about the new service and menu as you were
This is a point I really want to stress. WW crew have seen every management initiative under the sun (and a few which didn't even reach day light). I cannot recall a time where management have come up with something like this and the overwhelming (if not total) reaction from the crew has been "oh wow, yes we love this and we really want to serve it". Now this is relevant since if the crew are even more determined than management to make it a big success, then it makes a difficult to overstate impact on the way it is received by the passenger.

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Looks wonderful. I would echo the thanks of others for taking the time and effort to give us this record of the actual service. Loved the 3-in-1 roll. The mug and glassware too ^
I also want to mention this. The 3-in-1 roll is probably the best bread product I have ever had in the air, and if it was available in the shops I would go out of my way to buy it. The previous bread products on BA were reasonably good, but this was much better still, a light crust, well flavoured (I think they used olive oil to retain freshness) and a springy texture.

Originally Posted by lavajava
Is the butter a spreadable temp?
The French side of my family are horrified by my love of butter, but genuinely it wasn't needed on the roll. But yes it looked spreadable to me though it wasn't a fast service yesterday.

Originally Posted by JimEddie
Only, minor, criticism would be that it appears the mains are still plated ahead of time and then reheated on the plate rather than the better QF approach of reheating and then plating onto clean plates which leads to a better presentation. Other small gripe would be the gap between the drinks and starters. Hopefully this may improve as the crew get familiar with the new service.

One question for c-w-s, did they offer a second drink (and more nuts) before the starters?
Yes I was offered a second drink. I wasn't offered more nuts, but I only had half the nuts as served, it was a fairly generous serving and I was trying to space myself a bit. I am sure they would have been more available. The plated question I think is perhaps over focused here. The presentation of those dishes, at a business class level, would have past muster in a restaurant, I doubt many people would notice. It was a fantastic piece of fish I had yesterday, and yes I would have had that in a restaurant and certainly not complained. The reaction from passengers yesterday was also very, very positive.

Originally Posted by Can I help you
So some changes there from the training course, the plate for the drinks service and tea and coffee are new, we were told that white plate which you see with the butter/bread/oil/ cruets was also to be used for these.
The wine carry as far as I know will only hold two bottles and should be used to serve the two whites and then the two reds, still and sparking water bottles had to be carried in each hand.
Were there any chocolates served?
If you mean Do&Co chocolates, no, and yes that would have been a really nice touch with the tea and coffee. There was a pass of the Club Kitchen basket (I think one taker in Upper Deck). The dark mini trays given to customers was indeed new. Jon was slightly sheepish in explaining this as a "late addition", I didn't understand why at the time, but now I know! At least it shows they were listening during the familiarisation sessions. It has a clever surface to it, giving an almost sticky feeling, which will help keep drinks in place if there is turbulence or someone knocks their table accidentally.

Originally Posted by Crismyth
Looking very nice.
Will Do&Co also handle the catering of special meals or will CW customers continue to receive the same insult as before (food wise)?
Originally Posted by jday
I wonder what special meals will be like. I guess nothing comes off the trolley?
I think it is all hand assembled back in the galley and delivered by hand rather than off the trolley. I would guess that typically if you wanted the soup and/or salad then that could be accommodated, similarly with the desserts. Vegetarians probably don't come off too well here, overall, since it's just a preorder tick in the box for them, rather than all the choice options, which of course is a key part in meal enjoyment. However the combination of starters and desserts may work as a good alternative.

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
1) Is that a new multimedia display screen for CW?

2) Will First be receiving commensurate upgrades in catering? CW now has better food presentations and quality than F!
The IFE is just the Panasonic system that is on the 86J aircraft, it's been around for a while now. There are no immediate plans for improvements to First, which now has, in my view, an inferior menu.

Originally Posted by Prospero
I’ll admit to a tinge of disappointment when I read the preview menu earlier this week - it dawned on me the main course salad was not there and it is a dish I appreciate and enjoy. I have to say though, the combined offering looks incredibly appetising - the salad starter seems to be a big improvement too
Yes the salads have flavoursome tomatoes and asparagus in them, as well as the aubergine. They pour the French dressing on top, just be careful to ensure some of it gets down to the bottom layers, it's quite densely packed.

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
- with the move to placing the nuts in a bowl, are they now served warm?
- one of the issues I found with the DO&Co sandwiches on their existing contract for CWLCY was that they became rather dry and slightly curly by the time service reached Row 7. Your photo appears to show a significant improvement. Is this due to a serving arrangement change compared to the Babybus?
The nuts were not warm (thankfully, I think that ruins their flavour, but that's my Gallic side). However my almonds and cashews were incredibly oversalted, the walnuts and other nuts were OK. I don't know if that was a batch fault rather than anything systemic. I didn't (couldn't!) try the sandwiches, but they didn't look dried out to me.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Not too much talking please!

It is extreamly irritating if not annoying to see the crew with a cart of food or drinks or whatnot talking for a long time to people in front of you in the cabin when you are waiting for a drink or whatever!
I don't want to overstress that, but clearly to legions of Goldies on their monthly or twice weekly NYLON trips are going to be taken by surprise by the new ways of working, so that's one element that needs to be explained. And secondly, yes there is an element of selling the product - this goes on restaurants (and horribly overdone in some restaurants here on the East Coast) but when done correctly I think it's a good way to ensure people get and enjoy the right dish for them.

A bigger and interesting issue here is how we have moved from the dormitory style "stuff 'em up with food while they are glued to a movie", to turning it into an event in its own right. From admittedly a limited sample, passengers yesterday seemed to put down their headphones, discuss the food with the crew and their travel companion, and indeed have a more restaurant like environment. You'll appreciate you can't interact over the trolley with headphones on. So except for those in truly functional food eating mode, I hope a leisurely meal approach will be continued.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Thanks for the report! Based on the answer you give on prioritisation, I'm a bit confused on main course choices. My understanding was that main courses was still to be ordered after take off (or pre-ordered) and delivered by hand. Am I correct on that or are they also picked off the trolley (you mention people are expected to see what they pick).
Yes, the mains are taken like the previous system with the grid form, but starters and desserts are a free-for-all. However I don't think there is (and really should not need to be) a formal prioritisation built into main meal selection. If it came to that, perhaps as a result of mass irrops then I guess it could happen that way. But basically BA want to think they have engineered out the idea of people leaving the aircraft unhappy with their meal options. From what I can see they appear to have succeeded.

Originally Posted by WVFM
I was on the BA183 last night (7.50pm departure) and the second part of the menu was slightly abbreviated as there was only the tapas option (no scones or sandwiches). Overall it is a significant improvement and I was very impressed. Service didn't seem to take much longer than before. The new wine (champagne) glasses seem to be larger and staff fills them up nicely. The food display is very appealing and the ability to have a look at the starters makes the choice very difficult. Then again it does seem to be ok to have multiple starters (soup/salmon and salad) or deserts for that matter. Overall a huge improvement!
I'm glad to read that, thanks very much for contributing that, it is important that we get reactions from those who have tried this and I would really encourage other travellers to also put a few comments down with their impressions.

Here on Flyertalk we have the ability to provide direct feedback to the team working on this, I haven't worked out the best way to handle that yet, but putting something here would be a good place to start.

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Wonder what impact this will have on F loads to JFK, it really does erode the case for paying for F slightly without concomitant improvements in F catering.
Originally Posted by Petrus
Nice job, thanks CWS.
Makes F look a bit meh!
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Love it, CWS, looking forward to trying it soon but alas all my currently booked JFK flights are in F!
It's a hard life...
What I would say to my infamous friend is that I hope you get downgraded! So we now have a new area to play in, is First now CW Minus or World Traveller Plus Plus?

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Sep 2, 2017 at 7:56 am
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
WW crew have seen every management initiative under the sun (and a few which didn't even reach day light). I cannot recall a time where management have come up with something like this and the overwhelming (if not total) reaction from the crew has been "oh wow, yes we love this and we really want to serve it". Now this is relevant since if the crew are even more determined than management to make it a big success, then it makes a difficult to overstate impact on the way it is received by the passenger.
Great to hear, motivated staff make all the difference to the onboard offering ^
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by 710 77345
I would hope and expect that the mains are a big improvement over the old meals served in WTP, but the comparison I was discussing was with a) the A380 meals which are separately cooked, and b) Virgin, who cook the main components separately too.
Virgin cook it all together as well. Its all in one foil pack, just in seperate containers within the pack.. but its all cooked at the same time as the other hot elements with the dish and then plated up.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: All the best ones.
My big problem with BA catering has always been the lack of meal choice in CW or F, when flying with non-status family members. I hope BA can fix the "Will you be dining with us" attitude, "Ok I have fillet for you. Sorry we have no other meal choices available." I hope at some point BA will learn that improvements to food freshness, quantity, and quality still cannot make up for a lack of meal choices and treating passengers inferiorly on 4,000 tickets. The consequence of a lack of food choice, or horrible food and bad service, is that those passengers insist on flying VS UC or Delta One in the future.

Overall, any and all improvements in service and products are appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Peter M; Sep 2, 2017 at 9:11 am
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:14 am

This all looks great, such an improvement over the current offering!
Guess I will have to book BA CW next year to experience this firsthand...lol

Just a general question regarding pre-plated dishes: as you can see here, the level of finesse is quite high in terms of presentation of the dishes, attention to detail with garnishes, very aesthetic placement of ingredients etc...for the appetisers and cheese plate for example (anything pre-plated on a flat plate, not a bowl or plate with higher edges) how do they keep the ingredients from moving around or even falling off the plate during take-off? (place anything even lightweight on the side bins on the 744 upper deck and you know what I mean! it just rolls down during take-off)
Even the transport onto the aircraft involves quick pushing around of the trolley and brisk movements, it always made me wonder how they maintain the presentation...
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The starters, salads, desserts and cheese are all covered with plastic lids which we remove before putting them on the trolley.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
May I just add my vote of thanks on this.

Very interesting development and let's see how this beds down and/or see what this looks like with the new bedding. I sincerely hope that this isn't some sort of false dawn - and of course raises the question as to where this leaves F. On this evidence I may hold fire on my next JFK UuA to F!

For my money the improved bedding is possibly a bit more relevant as the current offering (taken together with the outdated seat) is just very poor. If you are not going to change the seat any time soon it makes sense to throw the kitchen sink at catering and bedding and on this evidence the catering certainly looks good. If I've paid decent £ for a CW seat I wouldn't have a problem with being 'over catered'. I can see this going down well on the longer west coast runs where a leisurely lunch is actually quite attractive.

Now, if they could drop the Mars Bars and Cadbury 'treats' (not really a high class brand by any standard) then that would also be progress

Thanks again ^
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Again I'm very pleased with the reaction to this thread, which has had a lot of hits in the last few hours. Thank you for all the kind words.

I think it is all hand assembled back in the galley and delivered by hand rather than off the trolley. I would guess that typically if you wanted the soup and/or salad then that could be accommodated, similarly with the desserts. Vegetarians probably don't come off too well here, overall, since it's just a preorder tick in the box for them, rather than all the choice options, which of course is a key part in meal enjoyment. However the combination of starters and desserts may work as a good alternative.
Thanks for the hard work on the report much appreciated.^ The vegetarians might do slightly better if the standard of the VLML has improved. It will also help in F because the VLML is the same in both cabins. The Afternoon Tea in F will hopefully therefore be improved if there are better looking sandwiches (and they are better looking) in Club.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:13 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Many thanks for posting- it all looks excellent and makes the CW dining look right up there with the competition. Along with the excellent CW fare sale, it's tempting to book a JFK to try it out
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
May I just add my vote of thanks on this.

Very interesting development and let's see how this beds down and/or see what this looks like with the new bedding. I sincerely hope that this isn't some sort of false dawn - and of course raises the question as to where this leaves F. On this evidence I may hold fire on my next JFK UuA to F!

For my money the improved bedding is possibly a bit more relevant as the current offering (taken together with the outdated seat) is just very poor. If you are not going to change the seat any time soon it makes sense to throw the kitchen sink at catering and bedding and on this evidence the catering certainly looks good. If I've paid decent £ for a CW seat I wouldn't have a problem with being 'over catered'. I can see this going down well on the longer west coast runs where a leisurely lunch is actually quite attractive.

Now, if they could drop the Mars Bars and Cadbury 'treats' (not really a high class brand by any standard) then that would also be progress

Thanks again ^
Why can't people like you see the club kitchen for what it is? The idea being if you are half way through a film for example and feeling a bit peckish and it has been quite some time since you had dinner for example you can get up grab a bar of chocolate or crisps / fruit whatever and have a snack in between courses; I think its a great idea and I am sure thousands of other people do. I have not seen anything similar offered on other airlines to snack on in between the meal services. Nobody is forcing you to eat a Cadbury's chocolate bar or a mars bar but it is there if you would like it 😉
Jimmie76 and sarahluv like this.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
BA, finally improving!!! Looking forward to using it. When is it being roled out across the entire fleet?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by tedcruz
BA, finally improving!!! Looking forward to using it. When is it being roled out across the entire fleet?
Alot of it over the next three to six months; but in it's entirety to include the New CW bedding from the White Company it will be throughout 2018.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Thanks, c-w-s, for taking one for the team.

Are there still chocolates?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Padmeister
Why can't people like you see the club kitchen for what it is? The idea being if you are half way through a film for example and feeling a bit peckish and it has been quite some time since you had dinner for example you can get up grab a bar of chocolate or crisps / fruit whatever and have a snack in between courses; I think its a great idea and I am sure thousands of other people do. I have not seen anything similar offered on other airlines to snack on in between the meal services. Nobody is forcing you to eat a Cadbury's chocolate bar or a mars bar but it is there if you would like it 😉
I beg to differ in that other airlines like QR & EY have served me sall items in between meals. Will have an opportunity to test that again in Oct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.