Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
All food is dine on demand on QR J
Did I not read that this is also the plan for BA in the future?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by JAXBA

It is manna from heaven and the answer to "what is to be found filling JAXBA's suitcase after trips to the UK (and ZA)"

Does it seem Club Kitchen worthy? Perhaps not, although it does have the Royal Warrant featured, which adds a few points.

Don't forget that Hotel Chocolat truffles are served with the main meal, and there are often extra boxes of those available in the display.

I think that Cadbury seems less fitting when there are fewer other options available. Plenty of choice and you won't notice/mind the items you wouldn't pick. Personally I like a cheeky pack of buttons; brings back great childhood memories!
Without hard evidence I feel that the quality of Cadbury chocolate has deteriorated since their take over. I am sure they have changed the recipe (cost?). Not so keen any more.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Great to hear from another happy customer, thank you so much for posting. Anything you think could / should have been improved? Feedback from those who have tried it would be extra valuable. If you are able to post up photos or write up the full menu description that would be really helpful (but I don't want to sound too greedy!).
Much appreciated and thanks so much for putting together such a brilliant, comprehensive thread!

Breakfast menu was:

Starters

Chilled orange juice
An energising smoothie of watermelon and strawberry
Trio of cured salmon, cream cheese and lemon
Fresh seasonal fruit
Blackberry and lemon sweet curd cream
Continental platter (jambon de Paris, proscuitto, Gruyere and smoked Gouda)

Selection of warm breads and breakfast pastries.

Main courses

Mixed grill featuring pork sausage, grilled chicken, bacon and traditional accompaniments
Homemade tomato and mozzarella omelette, sautéed mushrooms and potato rosti
Cinnamon French toast with citrus orange sauce

Afternoon tea menu was:

Tapas plate of smoked salmon, beef tataki, marinated king crab, seared prawn, watermelon and feta

Dundee cake
Raspberry tartlet

To further improve:

- The mixed grill wasn't outstanding. Nothing wrong with it, but the presentation looked very much like normal plane food and sat awkwardly with everything else. It would still be good to see a lunch-style main course added to the menu.

- It seems odd to suggest wine pairings to 'try with the steak' or 'try with the goat's cheese' given that neither steak nor goat's cheese were on the menu.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 3:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by acf2310
To further improve:

- The mixed grill wasn't outstanding. Nothing wrong with it, but the presentation looked very much like normal plane food and sat awkwardly with everything else. It would still be good to see a lunch-style main course added to the menu.

- It seems odd to suggest wine pairings to 'try with the steak' or 'try with the goat's cheese' given that neither steak nor goat's cheese were on the menu.
Thanks for that, I will ensure it gets to the right person.

A bit of a shame for the grill, since that should be the highlight in my view. Maybe they need to take a slightly more edgy approach here, they seem to have played it (too) safe.
bafan likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The QR food looks nice, but I find it bland with one or two excptions.
I was not referring to looks, but to taste - I find QR J food generally quite a lot better tasting than current BA CW food.
mrow likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

To divert the discussion away from QR for a millisecond...if you don't mind.

Difficult to tell from pictures but has the amount of food especially the portion sizes increased?
Tobias-UK and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Interesting to see that CX's trial also included three-in-one rolls. I wonder if it's a DO&CO thing.

The only place I've seen such bread rolls is in LX F, but DO&CO is not their caterer.
EY also has it.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HIDDY
To divert the discussion away from QR for a millisecond...if you don't mind.

Difficult to tell from pictures but has the amount of food especially the portion sizes increased?
Oh yes, you nearly caught me out there, this is the BA forum! Right, yes, the food portions are perhaps slightly higher if you stick to the standard routine of starter, main, dessert. The desserts are not big, but the starters and mains are the same or larger. But if you have the salad, which is, I guess, twice as large as the previous offering, or any other extra dish then you are well ahead. Not that the previous/existing CW meal is skimpy, there is probably more food there than First even now.
HIDDY and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
The new catering has a lot in common with the trial DO&CO did for Cathay Pacific. Does anyone know why that didn't get off the ground, cost?
It led to a big fall out between management and the cabin crew union. Apparently the format is quite an increase in workload. I assume the caterer applied the lessons learned from that in their pitch to BA as crew relations are hardly stellar there either.

It was a decent improvement at CX and looks to be here, although it is only glossing over the real issues.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by 1010101
It led to a big fall out between management and the cabin crew union. Apparently the format is quite an increase in workload. I assume the caterer applied the lessons learned from that in their pitch to BA as crew relations are hardly stellar there either.

It was a decent improvement at CX and looks to be here, although it is only glossing over the real issues.
interestingly, I was thinking of it in symmetric terms, that the model do&co worked out for ba (and indeed for the cx trial) is a hybrid between those airlines' traditional model and the 'full do&co experience' as it exists on OS and TK, and which requires more work and training for crews (but is also even more generous and luxurious).
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by madfish
Did I not read that this is also the plan for BA in the future?
You did - but this has been quietly dropped. It wouldn't be deliverable with the current crewing levels.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by acf2310
Afternoon tea menu was:

Tapas plate of smoked salmon, beef tataki, marinated king crab, seared prawn, watermelon and feta

Dundee cake
Raspberry tartlet

ah, as a non-fish eater, I may have a problem!
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Afternoon Tea menu

Last edited by Can I help you; Sep 4, 2017 at 3:52 am Reason: Downloading problem
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:44 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by 1010101

The latest format on trial with CX (dine on demand) is an even higher load on the crew so I don't think CX management really cared what the crew thought about their workload.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
You might have to download that pic from Yammer and upload it here - Yammer will be internal only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.