Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss
How easy is it to actually see the trolley from a window/inner seat?
Ah, that's the penalty for those who value 'privacy', and why I actually prefer an aisle seat where I can see/hear what's happening
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by T8191
Ah, that's the penalty for those who value 'privacy', and why I actually prefer an aisle seat where I can see/hear what's happening
Nosey git
Jimmie76 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss
How easy is it to actually see the trolley from a window/inner seat?
The photos were mostly taken from the window seat. You would need the screen down, but there again it's the easiest way to be served the food. I did see a few people stand up and move closer in to get a good view (or take photos! I wasn't the only one) but the trays can be lifted over by the crew if needed.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle
Originally Posted by Calchas
If your point of comparison is the US version of chocolate then you gain a new insight.
The Irish version is different to the English version. Much creamier imo. Something to do with the milk solids I have been told
sarahluv likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
I prefer aisle seats too, but this does mean the screen will be down much more - which might be annoying for single travellers who like the screen up as much as possible...
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
All looks an improvement. Be interested to see how the sleeper service pans out too. But clearly a bit of thought and effort is going into this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by HarryBA
The Irish version is different to the English version. Much creamier imo. Something to do with the milk solids I have been told
i'm pretty sure that Canadian Dairy Milk is made in Ireland. It's so much better than the British version
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
I have just flown LHR-JFK and would echo CWS on most aspects. The whole service felt very different. I was sceptical beforehand whether a few displays could make a difference and felt it was probably fiddling round the edges without fixing my main gripe with Club World - the seats.

I have to to say I was pretty impressed. I have tried a lot of Airlines business class and it feels like BA are back in the running in terms of food. The wine wasn't really any different apart from the lack of a Bordeaux which is normally a staple but then I always thought the wines were OK before.

Loved the mini bread rolls and the butter/oil. Lots of attention to detail with mini salt and peppers, butter dishes etc. The crew were fantastic and really enthusiastic about the new service. Food was definitely a step up, even the beef was edible! The service felt much more personal and premium than before. So will I go back to choosing BA as my airline of choice? probably not if I'm honest until the seats change. However I feel much more positive they are moving in the right direction.

There's lots more more details in my trip report and some photos.

http://www.turningleftforless.com/ba...-ba-back-game/

Last edited by atcer28; Sep 5, 2017 at 8:14 am Reason: Punctuation
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by atcer28
The service felt much more personal and premium than before. So will I go back to choosing BA as my airline of choice, probably not if I'm honest until the seats change. However I feel much more positive they are moving in the right direction.
Thanks for sharing that, I'll feed that back as well. You certainly aren't alone in having an issue with the seats, though it isn't one I share since I find CW great for good sleeps. Personally I won't be flying AA again (let alone Delta) if I can get BA on the UD, particularly on the 86J service, for me it is now by far the better service, all factors considered.

My take on this improvement is "if we can't do an overnight transformation on the seating, what can we do instead to gain some competitive advantage?", and as you've indicated it's something that puts them more in contention now.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Is there any chance of this new service coming on to the West Coast routes in November/December? I have a few trips coming up.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No new routes until 2018.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gomac
Is there any chance of this new service coming on to the West Coast routes in November/December? I have a few trips coming up.
I don't have any direct knowledge in this area, but I would be fairly confident in saying it won't be before the New Year. LAX and / or SFO would be the better chances there.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
No new routes until 2018.
Why such a dreadfully long-winded process ??

Is it so inordinately complex that several months are needed before extending beyond one route ; or is it a cost issue, I wonder .......
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by subject2load
Why such a dreadfully long-winded process ??

Is it so inordinately complex that several months are needed before extending beyond one route ; or is it a cost issue, I wonder .......
I queried that too. It took 15 months of planning to get to 1 September 2017, which for those familiar with large organisations or government departments isn't a long as it sounds. What I think has happened is that BA have not 100% agreed this with Do&Co and all the details, and want a good trial on NYLON before committing to wider implementation. If it does go to more places there are very complex logistics involved, in terms of ordering hundreds of thousands of items of catering equipment and kitchen adjustments in dozens of locations all over the planet. Just ordering, buying, taking delivery and putting into service the nifty bread basket will take months from start to finish. Just how it is with large organisations.

Sticking to NYLON also preserves their most golden of geese (or is it goose?).

However I am inclined to add "Please rollout more quickly" into the feedback to BA.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
They're probably caught between a rock and a hard place insofar as the desire is to maximise the publicity impact from this stage of the upgrade, particularly as they clearly feel it's a serious next step, even without the changes to the hard product.

So in an ideal world I presume there would be no soft launch whatsoever - just bang! - all routes, overnight. But as this (as C-W-S correctly states) is a surprisingly large logistical issue), the next best thing might be big bang on one high(ish) profile J route.

Hence to me, if I were in BA's shoes, I think this is probably roughly what I would opt for personally. not so many planes that the order is irredeemably huge in terms of kit, but not some backwater J route that the 'core' J users (ie presumably still mostly business travellers) don't really care about.

And assuming it all goes ok and 'beds down' (no pun intended) reasonably swiftly, I would guess that adding new destinations after that is a pretty straightforward thing Just ensure that some staff on the plane when rostering is done are already those that have done it on the JFK route??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.